Tiger up-to-date program question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shadowguy, Apr 20, 2005.

1. shadowguy macrumors member

Hey there. I just ordered a Mac mini, my first mac ever. Now I know about the up-to-date program on apples site. Now my question is thus...

My friend aqnd I are planning to go to our local Apple store for the Tiger release. Will an Apple store honor the up-to-date program for me or is required to do it online?

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

My guess is that you're going to have to purchase it online considering that the focus of the release in Apple stores is for those wishing to purchase the full retail version of Tiger.

3. shadowguy thread starter macrumors member

I suppose I could call them to find out if no one here knows.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You won't be able to get the up to date program at your local Apple Store. Below is a link for the at apple.com, its on the right side yellow box.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/

5. shadowguy thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I just called my local Apple store and they said that I CAN get the up-to-date deal at the store itself.
    So for those who also were wondering...

YOU CAN GET TIGER UP-TO-DATE AT THE APPLE STORES.

6. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Sweet

I assume you just bring your Mac's serial number. I did it on-line: quick and painless.

Here's the cool part: I ordered a Mini from Best Buy on April 9. It was shipped April 12 and I received it on the 14th. I figured that Apple had no practical way of knowing WHEN I bought it, so I went to the up-to-date site and the Mini's SN qualified. Hell yeah! So I would try it even if you bought a Mac in early April...

7. xJus10x macrumors regular

So basically I could go to the store and say I just got my PowerBook and get Tiger for free? How does a store know?

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Machine serial number.

As with Panther, there will probably be a bit of overflow so that the cutoff date really isn't that strict. However, I would say that unless you got it in the past month, your chances are exceedingly slim/

9. xJus10x macrumors regular

Well if I went to the store how could they check it?

10. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I wish I had known this before I ordered my up-to-date. Well, I'll be going to the Tiger festivities anyways, I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer for Tiger.

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, before you buy the up-to-date Tiger package, they'd ask you for your machine's serial number and some identification. They would look up the serial number in their database (yes, Apple has records of every Apple computer you own), and see that you own it.

12. shadowguy thread starter macrumors member

You have to bring along a proof of purchase, like a packing slip.

13. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I'm pretty sure the up to date program includes anything bought within like... 3 months of the release? All I remember is that around a month after I got my PM G5 I got Panther for cheap w/ the up to date program...

14. shadowguy thread starter macrumors member

Buy between April 12 and July something and you can get the up-to-date program, but by then most Macs should have Tiger in it already anyways.

15. jscheiman macrumors member

Yup, just bought my machine last night. Sales guy gave me a duplicate copy of my receipt and the Up-To-Date order form. Filled it out, mailed it in with my check this morning. Will have Tiger on DVD on or right around April 29th!

16. macminilover macrumors newbie

I can enter the my mac mini's serial # and if I enter any date after April 12th it "accepts" it and would allow me to buy online for $9.95. I bought my mac mini in mid-March, but I wonder if somewhere along the way someone would really check and reject my order? I keep hearing stories of how with Panther people who bought a machine before the announcement were still able to order the upgrade online. Did they have to lie about the purcahse date? :eek: