Tiger Up to Date Software

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davinche, May 4, 2005.

1. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

Has anyone received their Tiger up to date software order? I placed mine on Friday night after they told me they didn't have anymore in the store to give me along with my new powerbook. I waiting until I get Tiger installed to transfer my stuff to my new powerbook.

2. bproven macrumors newbie

not yet

Nothing yet for me either. I ordered on April 14th when I bought my mac mini. Shipped out on the 29th via US mail. Still nothing. I'm hoping that the USPS will have it here in the next day or so and give me the weekend to play :)

3. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I also ordered my up-to-date on the 14th. They shipped it on the 29th, US postal service GROUND. It's probably sitting in some rural ppost office for all I know. I am very disappointed: why treat us like second-class citizens? They should be kissing our butts, we did after all recently purchased a computer!

They could have at least added a FedEx option for more $ if we wanted faster shipment by the 29th. I am very pissed off. I have no hope of getting mine this weekend. USPS priority service is barely tolerable, but Ground, forget about it. It could be mid-May before i see my damn copy. :mad:

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I just received mine today. It comes in a little brown envelope. Also, when it is installing, it scans for a previous installation of 10.3. It won't install if it's not on the drive.

5. bproven macrumors newbie

huh?

That sucks. No box or manual?

Does this mean I have to install Panther and then install Tiger if I plan to reformat my drive in the future? It does allow you to do a clean install, right? I want to start fresh. I've only had the mini for a few weeks (awesome BTW with 1 gig of RAM) and I'd like to wipe it clean for Tiger.

Maybe the clean install is unnecessary and its just the Windows user in me talking...

6. benwa02 macrumors 6502

I received mine yesterday but I dont have my PM yet, its suppose to be here Friday but Fedex hasnt updated the page in 4 days so I have no idea where it is right now.

I plan on starting up the PM just to make sure everything works before I install Tiger but I plan on doing a clean install of Tiger. I can do this with the Up to date Tiger right?

7. Wotcher macrumors newbie

It does come with the installation guide and manual, plus the iLife '05 trial. I installed it last night and as people stated here, it checks to see if you have 10.3 or higher. Once the check is complete, you get to choose from upgrade, archive and install, or erase and install (or something like that), just like the retail version.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So in other words, unless your HD becomes horribly unreadable, once you did it the first time, you do not have to go back to 10.3 to use the install disc, right? I guess to prevent people who're happy with Panther from selling their up-to-date Tiger discs for $30 to make a small profit? :rolleyes:

9. bproven macrumors newbie

Cool, sounds good. My next problem is getting it here. Hopefully its today.

10. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I received my up to date tiger yesterday too. It was just an upgrade DVD with NO option to do anything but upgrade. I was a bit disappointed by that. I was sort of hoping I would just get the retail version of tiger!

Oh well. Tiger is awesome anyway!

:D

11. bproven macrumors newbie

Oh well. If that's true I guess I will be installing both Panther and Tiger. I want to make sure I get a clean install to start fresh. I have installed quite a few third party programs to play around with my first mac and I want to make sure there are no problems during an upgrade (or unexplained problems after the upgrade). We'll see...

12. benwa02 macrumors 6502

Say I were to do another clean install of Tiger a year down the road, could I do this with the uptodate DVD since Panther will be completely wiped out???

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you sure about that? I consider myself pretty experienced, and to be honest, I missed the option the first time I went through the menus (retail Tiger package), and realized I had gone too far, and had to go back and find it. There is a little tiny options button at the bottom on one of the first few screens that lets you get at things like Erase and Install. It is not prominently displayed. :(

14. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Mine was mailed out on the 29th via USPS but its not showed up yet.

15. bproven macrumors newbie

mkrishnan is right

I'm posting this from Tiger right now (got it today!). All of the install options are available once you click on the "options" button. I did a clean install - no problem.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

A pesky option to find! :( I'm glad you found it, though. :)

17. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I reinstalled Tiger several times yesterday because of a problem with another app. The installer checks to see if you have 10.3 or higher. So, you don't need to install 10.3 in the future if you wish to reinstall. And again, it does allow clean installs.

18. davinche thread starter macrumors regular

davinche

Still no Tiger...

I still have yet to receive mine, although mine did ship a business day later than most of you guys. The mail already came today with nothing so hopefully I will get it Monday. At this rate I may just borrow someone's Tiger DVD since legally I do own a license for it and install it that way. I planned on loading Tiger and transfering all my stuff over this weekend while I have some downtime. If I wait until Monday or someday next week I won't be able to do anything until next weekend.

19. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Mine shipped last Friday. Today I still don't have it. I was also hoping to have it for the weekend. I guess I'll just have to spend the weekend enjoying the lovely weather instead of being hunched over my Powerbook. ;)

20. davinche thread starter macrumors regular

davinche

LOL... I don't think my weather is going to be very good this weekend from what I can remember from the morning weather report. So it looks like I will be enjoying :( the bad weather.

21. davinche thread starter macrumors regular

davinche

Finally it is here...

The mail lady finally dropped it off today. I am typing this message on Tiger (or as my Napoleon Dynamite loving friends call it Liger) right now. So far so good although I haven't used it much yet.