Tiger Update Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ebook, May 2, 2005.

  1. ebook macrumors 6502

    Jun 10, 2004
    Sprint Car Capital of the World
    Okay, I know this is practically one of those, "I know they just released the new iBook, but when do you think the update is coming" posts, but I just don't really know much about OS updates so I need to ask.

    When Tiger goes to 10.4.1 will you have to purchase the update or will you be able to upgrade to .1 for free. The reason that I'm asking is because I do want to buy Tiger, but I will lose my education discount at the end of the summer (unless I decide to go for more schooling!). So, I was wondering if I should buy now and will be able to get the .1 update or if I should wait and see if they come with the 10.4.1 update before I'm done with school.

    Now, realize I don't NEED Tiger, it would just be fun to have...but if there is a possibility that there will be an update to 10.4.1 or if I can get the .1 update for free it will make a difference on when I buy.

    I hope that makes sense...
  2. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

    Dec 30, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    All 10.4.x updates are completely free. You wouldn't have to pay again until 10.5 (or 11 if they made the big jump). I say go for it.
  3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

    Jan 23, 2005
    Here it is! The Chart!!

    pay for | pay for| free
    The first two numbers, Pay For, are 10.4 and the third is 10.4.1

    All 10.4.x updates are free because they are not MAJOR updates. From 10.3 -> 10.4 is MAJOR. From 10.3.9 -> 10.4.1 is MAJOR. From 10.3.8 -> 10.3.9 is MINOR and 10.4.0 -> 10.4.1 is MINOR. Minor updates are free because usually they are bug fixes, mini service packs, if you will.
  4. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jun 10, 2004
    Sprint Car Capital of the World
    Perfect! Thanks for the tip guys. I thought that might be the case, but really I didn't know.

    Hmmm...off to the Apple Store I go :D

Share This Page