Tiger upgrade advice needed for switcher.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by typecase, Apr 26, 2005.

1. typecase macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2005
    Hello All,

It's been two months since I switched with my Mini and i love my Mac and OS X. I also got excited about Tiger's release and got a bit caught up in the Tiger hysteria and ordered my upgrade copy already. However, I'm beginning to reconsider my choice to upgrade since there are two threads with long lists of applications that no longer work in Tiger. Some of these I've grown to depend on like Onyx, Carbon Copy Cloner among others. Furthermore, there are posts about Tiger removing iLife and other applications like Stuffit.

My question is this: While I realize some things (like Onyx) won't work, if I choose the upgrade option, will I have to reinstall all my applications like the Creative Suite, and all my little customizations or will Tiger preserve these including my existing installed programs and utilites like Stuffit.

Too me, if I do have to reinstall all my applications, Tiger seems like too much hastle. Please lay my fears to rest. Thanks.

PS> I've tried scouring the install threads and other threads on Tiger but have as I've never upgraded from a prior version, I'm hoping some of you Mac veterans can shed some light on these issues for me.
  2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    If you use the upgrade option, all of your current applications and user folders will remain the same. Except for, of course, applications like QT7 which will replace QT6, and other applications that are refreshed.

Some of your questions may be answered here too
  3. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    Tucson AZ
    This happens with most major OS upgrades.
    This is probably a good thing, since it spurs developers to not only update their applications, but also often release some new features and fix bugs at the same time.
    Over the next few months, you'll see applications coming into compliance with the new architecture.
    MacUpdate.com is a good source for updates and new software for OSX.
  4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    As I understand, you have panther installed on your machine. So, when you purchase Tiger, do not install it immediately. Wait until all apps you are interested in are supported by panther, and then do the upgrade.

Think it that way. You did today what you would necessarily do tomorrow. Eventually you would have to upgrade to Tiger, because as time passes, more and more applications will start taking advantage of tiger's new capabilities, and you would be left behind. So, you did nothing wrong.

Sure at the start there would be some incompatibilities between Tiger and applications that support only panther, but that won't be too much of a problem, because all developers will release updated to fix those problems.