Tiger upgrade and iLife '05

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beaster, Apr 12, 2005.

1. beaster macrumors member

beaster

Hi-

I'm planning to purchase Tiger shortly, but I have a question about iLife '05. I have a legitimate installation of iLife '05 that came pre-installed on my Powerbook, purchased in February 2005. My understanding is that if I ever needed to reinstall Panther on my PB, I could also reinstall iLife '05, but that I couldn't take that same disc to another make and install iLife '05 on it standalone (makes sense, copy protection, no problem with that).

Now, if I buy Tiger, which does not come with iLife '05, and I do a fresh install (now or in the future), have I just screwed myself out of iLife '05? Or with the Panther+iLife '05 disc that came with the PB allow me to put iLife '05 on a fresh install of Tiger on the PB? If not, well, I guess that seems a little unfair - effectively I paid for an iLife '05 license when I bought the PB, but I wouldn't be able to use it after a fresh Tiger install.

Why would I have to do a fresh install? Dunno, maybe my hard drive dies, maybe I get a flaky upgrade, who knows. But it'd be nice to have the option without losing iLife.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Simple answer... you won't "lose" iLife.

What's this about "copy protection"?

3. freiheit macrumors 6502a

To my knowledge the iLife install (and the iWork install if you also got that) should be able to run indepdendently of the OS install and you shouldn't have any problem installing them onto a newer OS version.

As to copy protection, I'm not sure. I've heard of people using the eMac OS install disk on a PowerMac, and you're not talking about installing onto different hardware, just a different OS version.

4. beaster thread starter macrumors member

beaster

Yes, sorry, copy protection was the wrong phrase. What I mean to say is that when I insert the system disc that came with my PB, there are basically only 2 install choices offered - "install Panther and bundled software" and "install bundled software only". It was my understanding (but I certainly could be wrong here) that the latter option would only work on my PB running Panther. That's not copy protection per se, but the intent is similar - to prevent me from using the same install disc on other computers.

But if my understanding is wrong and I can use the "install bundled software only" option overtop a fresh Tiger install on my PB, then I'm a happy camper.

Thanks,
    Sean

5. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. If it didn't, for whatever reason, then you could always navigate the finder to the correct packages on the CD/DVD and install the apps individually.

6. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

heres a question on the same lines.

i dont have ilife 04 or 05. will i still have the older versions of imovie and iphoto or will i need to buy ilife 05?

i want to get it but dont feel like buying it until im ready.

7. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Then you should be a happy camper.

I was in the same dilemma as you so I called Apple and they said it will install just fine from your PowerBook install disc using the "install bundled software only" option.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd buy Tiger and iLife '05 at the same time. Sometimes they have discounts or rebates if you buy them both together (they did for Panther and iLife '04).

9. beaster thread starter macrumors member

beaster

Excellent, thanks Bern!

BTW, for what its worth, I did try to take my install disc over to my wife's eMac last night and try to "install bundled software only". It didn't let me - presumably it knows that the eMac isn't a PowerBook and stops.

Thanks,
    Sean

10. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

well crap. already ordered tiger

could i install that off of my restore disc that came with the PB. btw this was the revA AlBook. so it can with jaguar. i dont need it really bad, i was just wondering.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you wanted, you can call them and see if you can change your order to the Tiger bundle without changing the shipping date. That includes Tiger, the latest version of iLife, and iWork for $249. I think they just offer a rebate if you buy Tiger and iLife, but you could still try calling to see what your options are. They may be able to just tack on iLife to your order since it hasn't shipped yet and it might still count.

I don't know if your old versions will work. Even if they do, I'd still upgrade. It's worth it.

12. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

i couldnt find a bundle of just tiger and ilife. i dont need iwork at the moment. but how much would the rebates be? i can get tiger and ilife with teh EDU discount for $128. so i think ill probably be better off going that way.