Tiger Upgrade on Release?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mpw, Oct 7, 2004.

1. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Anyone who 'knows' Apple care to speculate on whether, if I buy a G5 iMac now with 10.3.?, Apple are gonna make me pay to upgrade to Tiger if it's release early next year?

My last Mac was bought under OSX 10 and I've been upgrade to 10.2.8 for free.

Also what about iLife'05??
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I would expect either piece of software to be "officially" spoken about until late in January. No idea if they'll go on sale then as well. Maybe. I doubt they will offer you a free upgrade on release if you bought it now, isn't that usually reserved for folks who purchase within a couple of weeks of a new OS?
  3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I'd like there to be an upgrade path from Panther but history says there won't. Get an iMac now and you'd better have $129 saved up for January ;) :rolleyes:

The "up-to-date" program will normally only commence after Tiger's release date has been officially annouced by Apple, typically within 2-3 weeks of its release. Any Macs bought after that date which don't have Tiger pre-installed will get it for a shipping fee of $20. But that's only if Apple follows what it has done in the past. You never know, they may be more generous this time :p :rolleyes:
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I would also say that if you purchase now, then you will end up paying for Tiger. As of now expect Steve to announce the release date at MWSF. The actual release date could be anytime in the first half of '05.