Tiger Upgrade Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by muflyer, Oct 24, 2006.

1. muflyer macrumors member

I am looking for any help anyone might be able to offer on an upgrade to Tiger from Mac OS X 10.3.9. I just upgraded to the later from 10.2.8 with no problems. However, in attempting to reach the final summit to Tiger, I received the error message "9972"--"Target volume is damaged and cannot be repaired by installer." I have tried to run Disk Utility several times but this cannot correct it. Am I left with only being able to do an Erase and Install? As a relative Mac newbie, I am a little concerned about the radical approach. I have used SuperDuper to back up the contents to an external HD before the 1st upgrade to 10.3, but am a little concerned about how to bring back all my data from that drive as part of a E&I? Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

That usually means your disk is physically damaged and you should start checking out prices for a replacement.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Definitely erase the drive to see how it goes, but keep in mind what the wise and often hungry dpaanlka said about it possibly being a dead drive. If your external drive connects via Firewire, then you can use the Migration Assistant app (it'll run when you first load Tiger plus you can find it in the Utilities folder) to get your data and settings back from the cloned drive.

Unfortunately, this app isn't 100% perfect so I'd only ever use it for retrieving basic data such as documents, images and music. Network settings and application preference files are probably best left to being manually reconfigured to prevent trouble later down the track. :)

4. muflyer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice and the warning of impending doom. Is there a reason why Disk Utility would view my HD as fine for the upgrade to Jaguar, but not clear it for Tiger?

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If it comes to it, OWC has excellent prices on hard drives they guarantee to work in your iMac:

Here they are!

$57 for a 7200rpm, 80gb Seagate, for example.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The drive might have incurred some damage during the time it was on Jaguar. Also, the version of Disk Utility on the Tiger discs is more up-to-date and probably more rigourous. :)