Tiger Upgrade...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eclipse525, Aug 21, 2005.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I'm presently running 10.3.9 on my iMac - 800mHz/1 gig RAM. It's working great. Although it has gotten a little sluggish since I first got. In any case, I was wonder if I should upgrade to Tiger. I don't know if it might be too much for my aging iMac. Has anyone upgraded a similar system? What is your experience? Can this machine handle Tiger? I don't want to go through the installation unless I know it will benefit me. Thank you for any advice.

~e

2. Bear macrumors G3

Yes the iMac G4 800MHz can run tiger just fine. What will impact you the most is if you have too many widgets loaded.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

4. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Thank you for the link. Very informative. It's amazing how much there is to know, solely about Maintenance. What are your thoughts on "OnyX" as a utility? Are there any others out there that are HIGHLY recommended? I'm a graphic designer and do a lot of print work, so my files are rather large. Not to mention the millions of other non-related ones. Is fragmentation an issue for me?

~e

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've not tried OnyX, since I traditionally have used Terminal for maintenance, and lately tried MainMenu (which seems very nice).

I don't think fragmentation will be an issue for you, at least not until you almost run out of HD space. Just note that if you work with large files specially in Photoshop you need considerably more free HD space, as Photoshop will require a large swap space.

So, in addition to investing in RAM, get as much HD space as you can afford and keep a good portion of your startup disk free.

Also, reboot every now and then, just to clean up a bit, even if you don't have to. Run the periodicals (manually with MainMenu/OnyX or let Anacron do the job for you) and repair permissions (using MainMenu/OnyX or Disk Utility) after installing stuff that requires admin authorization (password), and you'll probably have a healthy system for a long time.

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I would suggest if you are going to upgrade to tiger do a fresh install rather than an upgrade this is sure to make your system a bit more zippy....Whereas an upgrade could slow it down further..

ShadOW