Tiger using 700Mb RAM

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dylan, Aug 16, 2005.

1. dylan macrumors 6502

Is this normal?? I only have Safari and Mailk open and Safari is using 10% CPU as im typing... and 150MB RAM!!! This can't be right!i have 2 small apps open and i only have 50Mb free! I know os x uses alot of ram but this seems like a bit much.

Whats windowserve does it have anything to do with windows networking if so how can i get rid of it? its using 150Mb and 2% CPU

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

OS X will use as much as it can and allocate it to open application. I am actually surprised that you have as much as 50MB free of course ikd how much ram you have, anyway don't worry about it, thats normal. Also windowserve is basically the manager of the GUI.

3. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

870MB used right now, and all I have open is Safari and am I typing this response. I have 2.5gig of system memory, I think the more ram you have the more the OS uses. Not neccessarily a bad thing, unless your system is acting funny and running slow, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

How long have you had your Mac on for? I have noticed the Ram usage increases the longer you have the system up.

I have found that by Repairing Permissions increases the amount of Ram available - not sure why..

aussie_geek

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

If you're concerned about it, try dumping the history and cache in Safari and quit when you're done. I've found that doing that tends to free up a goodly portion of RAM. Logging out and back in also tends to "reset" the RAM (for me anyway).

For what it's worth, I always sleep my machine, and have the following nearly always open:
    Finder
    Aduim
    Safari
    Mail
    iTunes
    Appleworks

I'm on an A rev. 17" iMac with 768MB of RAM, and according to MenuMeters, I rarely get up over 50% of total RAM in use.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Please take a screenshot of the Activity Monitor memory screen for us... I am guessing that you are seeing Inactive RAM, which is included in the used RAM category. This used to get me too until I found how OS X manages memory... the Inactive memory segment just keeps recently or commonly used files in memory until another program needs it or it is launched again.

8. dylan thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow thanks for all the quick replies. So the inactive memory is just what os x has in reserve or what? I'm a recent switcher so i wasn't sure about it so thanks for clearing it up.

9. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I switched from Linux... it's really weird for me to see any free RAM whatsoever. The general UNIX philosophy seems to be "what good does having a large amount of RAM do you if it's not used?"

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Basically, yes.