Tiger vs Ibook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GomezZz, May 8, 2005.

1. GomezZz macrumors newbie

Red Corner : ibookg4 1.3/768/80gb hd

blue corner : Mac os Tiger

How do these two match up?......

........I suppose what i wanna know is, how will upgrading my ibook to tiger benefit me? I've read that tiger is 64 bit , wont this just slow everything down ????? Please help.

p.s.any extra info is welcome

2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

very well, my ibook handles tiger great. just be sure to make the processor performance maximum in the sys preferences when on hooked up to the power cable...

3. GomezZz thread starter macrumors newbie

hey cuba , i noticed you have similar specs to my ibook , are you running any games on your ibook ?

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Rule #1, let your Mac be a Mac. In the Windows world the new OS cripples most older computers. In the Mac world, you might not need the new features in the new OS but if you install it you will get better performance--not worse. But you've got a pretty new computer so don't expect to feel a huge difference in performance.

The 64 bit part of Tiger doesn't concern you on that iBook, it won't slow you down--don't worry about it. What does concern you is some of the eye candy that won't run (probably) on your video card. But you won't notice the absence of that either. I'm talking about stupid stuff like the ripple effect in Dashboard. I used Tiger on 3 Macs and thought Dashboard was really cool--then I used it on my new PowerBook and saw the ripple. It's cool but not having it wouldn't have ruined my life.

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Well, I have an iBook 1.2/1.25G/80 GB, and it runs better for me.

I like not having to wait while tabs in Safari load :)

6. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have a 1Ghz PB and it runs fine, so i think your iBook will!

7. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

ha i have the exact same book. 1.33 80gb 768 . damn good machine :D

8. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

yes, i have ran a few games on my ibook from time to time. some include jedi knight 2 jedi outcast, enemy territory and medal of honor: allied assault. even the call of duty demo.. they all ran fine, however at medium to low settings. just remember to have your processor performance set to high as shown below. ;)

Attached Files:

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I have an iBook g4@800MHz, and Tiger has given it new life, it's more responsive in Finder and thus feels MUCH faster... :)

I even try using Safari 2 (over Firefox), and I must say Safari has gotten faster. I love the new Mail look. Spotlight works VERY fast and Dashboard might be useful when I get used to it (much like Exposé I expect, it takes some time before the addiction kicks in... ;))

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, another 800MHz G4 iBook here. Tiger's the best thing since sliced bread for her too. She's running faster and smoother than ever. :)

11. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

iBook G4 1.2 GHz runs Tiger like a dream. It's only missing little things like the ripple effect in Dashboard, stuff that you wouldn't really be disappointed without. I actually feel a little bit more speed than Panther, and it flies on all of the other apps I use, just like normal. One more note, QT7 rocks!

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

13. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

tiger sped up my G4 500. I can feel a difference in the finder. having 1GB ram helps also :)

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ditto that. Big benefits on user interface speed. The only speed downside I have noticed is that Tiger bits seem to use slightly more memory, leading to slightly worse performance when doing really memory intensive tasks. The only place I personally run into this is running PSE3 and iPhoto at the same time, working on several 6MP pictures from my DRebel, without closing Safari or Mail. This is a little rougher than it used to be. But outside of the high RAM case, the performance is quite a bit improved. (EDIT: This is with slightly less RAM - 640MB - than the OP).

15. el greenerino macrumors regular

My 900 Mhz G3 feels faster after the clean install

16. markoibook macrumors regular

I have a g3 700mhz iBook, and have to say that Tiger runs faster than Panther on this machine. Also, I was a little concerned about the speed of spotlight, but its still darn fast, and as for dashboard - it doesn't slow my ibook down at all, and the zoom in and out effects work flawlessly.

17. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

It works fine on my Titanium 500, so it should definitely be fine on your iBook.

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I upgraded with no problems at all. My iBook is running great! I love Tiger!