Tiger vs. Longhorn

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dotdotdot, Mar 12, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005

Don't know if it's been posted before...

Interesting read, I guess...

Its written by Patrick Norton, who was amazing hosting The Screen Savers before TechTV was purchased by G4, became G4TechTV, G4 destoryed TechTV and fired everyone at TechTV, and (just now) began changing their name back to G4, while TechTV was still there...
  2. Drewswa77 macrumors member

Jun 18, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Cant really compare.

How can these two really be compared? Tiger seems to be on the verge of being released and longhorn is probably a year+ away. By the time Longhorn is going to be released it will need to be compared to 10.5. Tiger will be old news, it could be around tiger.7 or .8 at that point.
  3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

I. Hate. G4.

They fired all but two of the TechTV members and replace them with G4 gaming nerds. Those guys are psychotic and obsessed with gaming and I don't care for them. They also run around with a "Mac sucks!" attitude. Leo, the Mac and Linux user, is gone. Kevin is the only one who even LIKES Macs on the show. Sarah is a registry hacker for Windows, and the new G4 guys run around parading "No good games for Macs! Macs suck! Boo hoo!" while Kevin gives evil glares.
  4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    There's a lot of things they don't mention.

For one thing, almost everything they list for Longhorn is already in Tiger or even in Panther (which is already released).

For example:

This is already implemented in Panther, with animation and transparencies and effects, though not to a great level (no 3d effects like lens rays or glows or anything, just moving the windows around rapidly and stuff like that), in the form of Quartz Extreme. Tiger will take it to a new level with CoreImage and CoreVideo, allowing for real-time 3d effects on anything.

So Tiger has that, as well, and Panther even has a form of it.

Supported in nearly every version of iPhoto since 2003, Mac users can create slideshows in two seconds with 3d transitions (page wipes, Cube transitions where each photo is one side of a cube which rotates, etc) and music playing in the backgrounds.

I hate how they downplayed Mac OS X's security to make it sound like its just because of the lower market share- that is not the case.

They also never mentioned when Tiger will be released (summer this year). By the time we get Longhorn we'll probably get Mac OS X 10.6, which will be even better than Tiger!

I don't know if OS X has given it a name, but I believe it already has it. After all, 90% of the Dashboard widgets have web functionality, Sherlock has integration with web functionality (address book, flights, dictionary, etc).
  5. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    i wouldn't bet against puma/cougar/kitten will be released by the time longhorn comes out
  6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Puma was 10.1 BTW...

Apple has said that Tiger will be the last of the yearly updates, and will fall back to an easier to keep up with 2 to 2.5 year release schedule. The yearly update was because of the transition to OS X. Basically, it was "release a bunch of new features" and then "fix what is broken" (10.1 and 10.2). Panther was very much a combination of "make it more mature and get it even more optimized for the platforms we want" which made sense-- Jaguar was fairly stable but they needed to keep making OS X better and keep working on it. Tiger will have gotten to the point of "feature" and "works quite well on computers" so Apple can take a break, and then look at the "NeXT big thing" which is a quote by Steve Jobs, slightly tweaked.... (it was really "Apple needs to get over the Macintosh and start working on the next big thing") so, Apple needs to, in Job's opinion, not ditch the whole Macintosh and OS X line, but figure out where to go from Tiger.

Damn, that was a long post. :D
  7. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    it was an interesting post also,

maybe you can help me with my history a little, what was the whole NeXT thing years go? did that turn out to be os x?

so after tiger its going to be "ground breaking time"?
  8. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Yeah, OS X was built on OpenStep from NeXT.

The way I see it, Apple can't continue with the OS X 10.x version "cat name" scheme for much longer:
    1) what's after Tiger? OS X Lion - no! OS X Leopard - no again! They seem to be running out of cats (& the tiger is the biggest cat out there)
    2) Marketing wise, they'll want something new when Loghorn comes out, so they stay a step ahead marketing-wise. OS XX? OS XI? OS X-2? ... Who knows what.
  9. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    os 12 you mean? ;)

well, here is to hoping for the next big thing
  10. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    The LIGER is the biggest cat out there!

Sheesh don't you read the MacRumors threads! lol
  11. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Nov 10, 2004
    Land flowing with Milk and Honey
    Especially at the rate they keep going extinct.
  12. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    The article didn't seem to bad. Looks like PC users are really living on the hope of long horn for a more stable and secure OS...only 1 year to go...maybe...
  13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    Let's see, Tiger will be a reality shortly. Longhorn will be released... uh, eventually. Maybe we should be comparing Longhorn to the next version of OSX. Whatever that may be.

Some ideas...

The Snow Leopard.

Chinese Leopard looks pretty badass.

The Cheetah.

Yeah, M$ is promising a Longhorn, but by the time it finally arrives it will just be a small ass.
  14. bryanc macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2003
    Fredericton, NB Canada
  15. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    It seems MS is setting itself up for a big thing with Longhorn. I hope the actual product will live up to its expection in summer 2006.

Softpedia news article on Longhorn
  16. naltst* macrumors member

Apr 14, 2005
    Puma, Jaguar, Panther seems like the next obvious choice would have been Cougar not Tiger... Oh well maybe they can go back to Cougar but i do like the sound of OSX Snow Leopard
  17. salmon macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2004
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    How about
    ... OS X Bobcat!
    ...or OS X Lynx!
    ...or OS X Ocelot!
    ...or OS X Feral Cat!
    ...or OS X Kitty!
    ...or OS X Chinese Desert Cat!
    ...or OS X Dire Were Sabre-toothed Tiger! (for all you DND fans out there)

or maybe even OS X Eastern Woodland Cougar! (named after the long-disputed-then-concluded-to-not-exist-but-whoops-we-found-DNA-evidence-of)

They've got a lot of mileage to get out of the cat metaphor yet!
  18. mcadam macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2004
    Lion, anyone - or is that to obvious...in that case I'll vote for
  19. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Compare which one is shipping now or compare known features. I can hardly wait to see Tiger and Longhorn compared in 2006 in operational tasks, third-party support, security, installed user base, uptime.
  20. deanbo macrumors regular

May 6, 2003
  21. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    In a Mauve Dream
  22. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005