Tiger - What's the Verdict?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by micropop, May 1, 2005.

1. micropop macrumors newbie

Is it good? Is it too buggy? Is it worthwhile to install or better off to wait until they fix some of the bugs? What are the pluses and minuses?

2. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Wait a bit

I think it would be wise to wait a bit until some of the bugs and issues are ironed out. Tiger 10.4.1 is expected to be released this month ... within a few weeks.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1038

I use the Pro apps (Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Motion) and I'm waiting.

3. micropop thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I am getting that feeling. Sure does look like people are having a lot of troubles. Reading these forums, I haven't seen much about the upside of Tiger..

4. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I will weigh in positively. ;) I have had a relatively good experience with Tiger so far, except that my Safari 2.0 absolutely refuses to load. Firefox works fine, which is what I have been using for quite a while anyway. :) If you don't have much pressing need to upgrade to Tiger, don't. But, I have seen little improvements all over the Operating System that are welcome.

My 2 ¢...

5. dont24 macrumors regular

I'm waiting as well. Not in a big hurry to install Tiger.

6. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

My experience has been mostly really positive. No show-stopping bugs. Have used lots of software so far with no problems. Just authored a DVD in iDVD 5 OK too for what it's worth.

However there is ubdoubtedly a lot of software out there that has issues with Tiger. If you rely on any software then I'd check compatibilty before you pull the trigger on installing, otherwise I'd jump on in - the water's fine.

I'd recommend doing a clean install though. I've had more issues on a PowerBook that I did an archive and install on than a Power Mac that I did on a formatted drive.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Have not had a major problem, just my iTunes widget being finicky, thats it.

8. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Well... I seem to have fixed my Safari problem somehow... It's working fine for me now. I give Tiger a B+ at this point. :D

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No problems at all here, Tiger has made my Mac faster, and for the first time in a long time I am actually using Safari over Firefox. Spotlight and Smart Folders rock, the UI is much faster, dashboard is nifty (though about as pointless as Konfabulator IMO).

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

100% the same here. No problems. To note I did a clean install AND zero'd my disk.

I would just take the plunge now, you'll only have to wait a short while until 10.4.1 comes out anyway, so its not threatening putting up with the bugs.

11. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Tiger is just awesome, my iMac is faster, couldn't live without spotlight in the top right bar and smart folders. Dashboard is just too kewl and very handy. All my every day apps work great and the only issue i have had is having to reinstall Stuffit.
    Spotlight has completely frozen on me once, didn't lock up system just remained in spinning beachball. Quitting the systemuiserver sorted it fine, but apart from that i am loving Tiger and it appears to be pretty much bug free. What spotlight will become with the updates will be great ie even faster/smooth and pdf previewing may load up faster.
    I would say to the people holding out go for it, it is so worth it.

12. Yaja123 macrumors regular

ditto!!

i think its great!

i love spot light. so easy to find files super fast.

booting faster etc etc etc... i have no faults whatsoever (reaching for wood...)

13. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well the installation was soooo quick - proablaly about 10 - 15 mins which i was rather amazed by.

dashboard - i agree with edesign, i think its novelty will wear off pretty soon.

spotlight - is it just me or is it pretty slow. i has finished indexing but still talkes like 5 seconds.

automator - pretty cool

safari - it has now replaced camino again. its quick and cool!

14. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I'm loving it so far, except for my powerbook seems to be running a little slower, and spotlight does take a while. But probably this is in part due to the fact that I didn't do a clean install, or have repaired permissions, all that stuff. I love that the default for taking a screenshot isn't in .pdf anymore, and I've already used Automator. Sweet :D

15. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

No problems here, 100% ok

I have not experienced any problems.

I really like spotlight - it works very fast. Its a great tool.
    Dashboard is great
    Safari seems faster.
    Fun-house is good.
    RSS screen-saver is good

I noticed that there is still no support for third party web-cams like my Logitech in ichat. System profiler picks it up as a USB camera.

16. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I love Tiger, but it is buggy as hell. It bums me out because I would love to be using it on all of my Macs and as my main OS for work, but it is nowhere near ready.

The only show stopper bug I have found is Tiger drops connectivity on WDS networks when you move around between hubs. You have to renew the IP lease. It's really bad.

Outside of that, Tiger has quite a few cosmetic and small functionality bugs. Tons, actually. But these are more annoyances.

I am hopeful that .1 is a huge release. 200+MB release with 1,000's of bug fixes. Tiger is really awesome and Apple has a lot to be proud of, but it is clear that Tiger needed a couple of more months of bug fixing.

Fingers crossed on 10.4.1....

17. micropop thread starter macrumors newbie

What's the default for taking a screenshot in Tiger?

18. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

.png

19. petej macrumors regular

Clean install of 10.4 running on PB G4 1.33 with 1.5GB ram

Unexpected quits from
    Software update
    Dashboard weather widget
    Quicktime 7
    (There was one other but I can't remeber which app)

iPhoto still not working as it should - Force quits needed regularly

Virtual PC 6.1.1 - problems with network conectivity. Hoping MSFT release a fix.

QT 7 Pro needs a new key - Greedy Apple

Ripple effect - very cool
    Performace much better
    Network locations - at last proper support for non Apple WiFi networks.
    Grapher - Great app. but why is it installed to Utilities and not Applications.

Hate to write this but for me 10.4.0 is Beta quality. I'm back on 10.3 until it's improved.

Rant over. Sorry.

20. mickhyperion macrumors regular

mickhyperion

Thanks for starting this thread micropop!!

It has been impossible to get a consensus about Tiger from all of the scattered threads about it. People are quick to post their bugs, but rarely the resolution of them. To read the other threads, a person could get the impression that Tiger was nothing but a buggy nightmare.

Glad to see many people are happy with it! :) Keep posting those reviews!

21. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

A simple upgrade worked without problems on an iMac G4 17 and an iMac G5 20 (which had both been prepped with permissions/crons/DiskWarrior/Disk Repair/TechTools looking for problems.)

Tiger seems a bit faster on these machines and I'm very happy to be running it.

The only software needing to be reinstalled to work was Little Snitch and that was expected from prior experience.

The only non-working function I've noticed (and a bunch of other people have noticed) is that some scanners will not work within Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. One can still scan with the built in os image capture, but it's not a great alternative. This is being addressed from what I've read on Adobe.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Mixed bag here: I did a straight upgrade, and Spotlight doesn't work properly, missing all kinds of things, files and folders. Preview is very buggy, but I can now use it to operate my Epson scanner. If it could do this before, I wasn't aware of it. Dashboard I can do without. I'm going to give it one more chance with an Erase and Install, and if it's no better I'm back to 10.3.9 till 10.4.1 comes out. I can't afford to have a Finder which can't find.

23. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I use Spotlight to launch my less frequently used apps, such as Disk Utility, Sherlock, and even Startup Disk. Just press Command-Spacebar, type in the first few letters, press Command-Return and the app launches. No more fishing with the mouse inside Finder to find the app.

24. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I formatted my iMac, and installed from there

so far (and i've try'd everything i can think of) i've had no problems

Spotlight is great, add to that smart folders in the finder, it's going to make life alot easier, for me anyway

I'm liking the dashboard, it allows me to have most of the things (i'm sure the will become all) i wanted within easy view, memory usage, calender etc. most importantly without cluttering my desktop :D

25. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Great!

I got Tiger today!

I think it's really good, everything works fine, however I feel as if there should have been more in it for my money...

Dashboard is very handy because I use the calculator a lot and especially conversions (dollar to pound) and the calendar is good too. 5/5

Spotlight is fast, does everything it's meant too, however, I won't really use it much.

Automator looks too complex (I haven't really had a deep look at it, but I just said 'woah!' when I opened it up).

Love RRS, but i'm not really sure what it's all about...could someone explain? Do I subscribe to things? Why does it leave RRS mode when I click a link in RRS mode?