Tiger won't install....help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imaduro, May 21, 2005.

1. imaduro macrumors member

Trying to install tiger in a newer G4 15in and everytime when the blue line is starting to move a message comes up saying error in installation and to restart. I've restarted about 10 times and same message comes up. I chose the upgrade os and easy install. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Idea #1 -- do the following maintenance tasks and then try again:

- Boot in single user mode and run fsck until it reports no errors
    - Boot in Panther and repair permissions

Idea #2 -- try an archive and install instead of an upgrade install.

You can find threads on how to fsck or repair permissions here on MR with the search.

Good luck and if you need more, holla'! :)

3. imaduro thread starter macrumors member

Thank you I'll try it, btw what's the difference between archived install and upgrade install?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is really a "Search MR" question... but the basic difference is that the system folder and root library folder are copied to a backup directory, so if anything in them conflicts with the new install, it won't stop Tiger from working.

Another question to ask while we're at it...do you have any "system modifications" installed? Things like anything Unsanity makes, anything that adds a preference pane in sys prefs, anything that always runs in the background or otherwise modifies system behavior all the time? If so you should remove it before upgrading to Tiger. It's not always necessary, but given that your upgrade fails....

5. imaduro thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I realized I could search for that one myself, my bad :D anyways the powerbook does not have any system modifications, I'll try the archive and install if it doesn't work I'll search for the fsck, thanks again.

6. BEET macrumors member

I'm having an installation prob too. Not quite the same, but each time I try and reboot/upgrade, an error appears saying 'cannot install tiger on this computer'.

not sure what to do. any help is much appreciated.

thanks, Beet

7. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

What Mac do you have, and do you meet the minimum requirements for Tiger? Have you done any upgrading like processor cards or RAM? Is this happening when you boot and hold down C to start the installation, or is this happing after you installed it?

8. BEET macrumors member

I've got a powerbook superdrive 1.5GHz PowerPC G4, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, a year old. Nope, I haven't upgraded anything, and yeh I tried the hold C down thing, yet still "you cannot install OSX 10.4 on this computer".
    Does my pb need ungrading?

thanks.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It shouldn't...no hard-drive re-partitioning, or Linux or anything like that? I don't see any obvious reason why you wouldn't be able to install. You are trying to install from a Tiger install DVD and not a system recovery disk, right? I did have to do the hold-C thing on my computer, but that was the only strange thing. It just booted into Panther whenever I tried without holding C.

10. BEET macrumors member

nope to all of the first questions. Yeh, I've been using the Tiger install disk too! Arghhhhh! what can it be? I really have no idea.

11. BEET macrumors member

do you think if I reboot with Panther disks first then with tiger? or will that just be an unnecessary amount of hassel?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Two steps first:
    - Boot off the Panther disk and run disk repair
    - Boot in single user mode and run fsck until you get no errors

(could be some kind of disk / formatting anomaly that one of these two can fix).

13. BEET macrumors member

thanks, I'll give it try.

14. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

If disk utility can't fix it, you will need to do an erase and install.

15. imaduro thread starter macrumors member

That's what I ended up doing, archived install didn't work either. Now iphoto is gone :( I guess I have to get ilife now, right :confused: