Tiger won't support G4 CPU upgrades?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Luposian, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Luposian macrumors newbie

Apr 10, 2005
    I just bought a GigaDesigns 1.8GHz 7447A processor upgrade for my G4 Digital Audio. If it's true that Tiger will see that card and refuse to install, I need to know, so I can sell my upgraded G4 Digital Audio and buy an iMac G5 at least...

Straight from Apple:

"Note: Mac OS X does not support processor upgrade cards. The amount of disk space required depends on your computer and the way you are installing Mac OS X."

However, the word "support" could be a little misleading (I've learned that Apple can be a little sneaky that way sometimes :rolleyes: ). It may just mean that Tiger isn't *designed* to run on upgrade cards and so Apple isn't responsible (or required to help troubleshoot), if it *doesn't* run on an upgrade card. Not specifically that it won't.

Does anyone else concur?
  2. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Yes. They won't support it themselves. I had a CPU upgrade in my Cube back in the Jaguar days, and it worked perfectly fine.

The people who might have to worry will be the beige G3 users...
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Yes, I had the same interpretation, that they are not owning up to the claim that the listed processor requirements apply if they were derived via an upgrade card (i.e., you meet the multiway video req't, but only by virtue of the processor card).

I don't know, however, exactly how Apple works this requirement in practice. Sometimes, options that are unlikely to work on your computer by virtue of its performance characteristics are greyed out. I'm assuming that with processor upgrades, the system (profiler, about this mac) believes you have the new processor. But you might also have some subtle system characteristics of the old processor. If the app polls the latter to determine eligibility, it might grey out the option for you. But I'm not at all sure about that part.

But as far as Tiger working at all...it isn't like they re-wrote the kernel from scratch, is it? It'd be strange if these cards suddenly completely failed to function or to run Tiger. Might need some new drivers, though, if they used drivers or installed software specifically for the card in Panther.
  4. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002

Apple does not support upgrade cards on any OS. They want you to buy a new computer. When you buy a card you do not give them any new money. They lose. If you are getting a card, you are probably not covered by apple for your hardware anyways. As for tiger "support" keep your old card, and if you have a problem, put it back in and see if it is reproducable. If so call apple, if not call the card manufacurer as they give you a waranty for the card for a period of time. They may be working on a fix.

You could also contact GigaDesigns right now and see if they have had any problems with the card and tiger as they may have been working with a developemental version to test for just such a senerio.

A little of topic, I would love to hear about your thoughts on that Upgrade card as it is one of the ones I am considering.