Tiger ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macpk01, Mar 20, 2005.

1. macpk01 macrumors newbie

Hi

I am new to macs and all and I was wondering if I bought a mac mini now and buy a power later this year could I use the restore disks from the powerbook to get Tiger onto my mac mini?

Thanks

macpk01

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I'm thinking no.

1) That would illegal

2) I believe the restore disks are different depending on which you Mac you get. At least that's what I read in a post earlier last week.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Firstly this would break the EULA on the OS, and since these are restore CDs/DVDs made for the specific model I'd say NO. Not that you should anyway!

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you get a mac mini now you are going to have to buy Tiger when it comes out, or just leave Panther installed

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I'd wait and buy your Mac Mini after Tiger is released (April 1st?). Your Mac Mini will ship with Panther, but you should get Tiger for free since it was released and your Mac Mini didn't ship with the latest OS.

That would be the easiest and legal way to do it.

6. link92 macrumors 6502

Still need to pay the shipping fee (£14 here) unless you live close enough to an Apple Store (my nearest one is 550 miles away in London).

7. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

No, I think Apple will pay for it too.

8. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

But would apple send you just the disk or would you get the retailbox with all the documntation and stuff :confused:

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...with past system releases, if you qualify for the "free" upgrade you *do* have to pay the required shipping and handling, it's $19.95 in the USA....oh yeah!

10. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

What about the rest of the world same or :confused:

11. gopher macrumors 65816

There is no guarantee Tiger will be released April 1st. Until Apple officially announces the date, April 1st is just rumor, and could be Apple's April Fools joke on the rumor sites.

Regardless if you want Tiger on your machine, wait. If you want the features of Tiger, many can be gotten for Panther in the form of third party utilities from Konfabulator to MenuStrip to QuickSilver. Apple has stuck to their 1st half of 2005 story through and true, and until they say anything different, that's the only thing I'm going to believe.

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It's not going to matter anyway since the restore discs are designed specifically to not work on other Macs besides the one you have. Even if everything you needed was available, it wouldn't work.

13. Bear macrumors G3

You would get the docs (what little there is in printed documentation. However, the docs and the discs would probably be packaged in an envelope without a box. And they would most likely be an upgrade set that would require a previous version of OS X on the system.

At least the above has been true in the past. Things change, so who knows.

14. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Thanks

I just kind of like the new Box so if I could I would have it but would not pay 109 bucks for it though :p

15. Bear macrumors G3

When you buy a Mac, you don't get boxes for the software that is comes preinstalled by default on the Mac anyway. So you wouldn't be getting a Tioger box either way.

16. tom.96 macrumors regular

I remember when I bought an imac with OS 8.6 and OS 9 had just come out (yes it was a few years back!)

I sent off a cheque for a small amount, think it was about £14 and I received a set of OS9 CDs in the post from Apple a few weeks after. I did not get the full retail box, just the CDs, but I didn't really need the box anyway. Can't remember what documentation I got, didn't really need that either as there are so many good books on the Mac OS and it is quite easy to pick up.

It all worked quite well and it seemed like a good system.