Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Just recently I've noticed that my iMac has been losing some sounds. It plays iTunes and system sounds okay (emptying trash etc.) but it won't play Quicktime movies and games' sound. It's pretty frustrating. :(

I've repaired permissions and rebooted a few times but to no avail. I haven't installed anything recently to the best of my knowledge either.

Anyone else getting the same?

For the record, it's a rev B iMac G5 with 10.4.1 and I've got an iBook with exactly the same software and files on it but it's fine. :confused:

Any help would be hugely appreciated. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well I finally found what I was looking for. Apple's support discussions here told me I had to open Garageband and then quit it again. It worked! How weird is that! :confused:

Meh, at least I've got all my beautiful sounds back. Yay! Thanks Wendell, whoever you are. :)

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
The first time around, I didn't reply to this thread because I interpreted "ATM" as "Adobe Type Manager", just now I figured that it might stand for "At The Moment".

Either way, I'm very glad you got it fixed. I've never heard of that happening before! I wonder what it actually did...

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Actually, this was a fairly common problem for me under Panther, but was very specifically related to VLC--under some conditions, VLC would basically set the audio out to optical only or otherwise disable the sound you wanted to be listening to, and you needed to do a sort of "reset" (opening Garage Band is one way) to get it back. I don't think it was technically an OS bug, just something very non-intuitive and not easy to set back to the normal state.

This could be worked around with a very specific configuration of VLC, but I haven't seen it under Tiger and I don't remember it persisting through reboots. Perhaps there's a new OS bug or some other program that's improperly fiddling with these settings?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
SO THAT'S WHAT THAT WAS! That happened to me the other day! I opened GarageBand to see if I could get that to play music and it didn't work. Then I quit it and everything started playing 'tunes again! I guess I got lucky! Thank you for posting this, I thought my sound was going.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
This has happened to me *many* times with my revB iMac (running Tiger). Usually GarageBand works - the one exception seems to be if I've been using external speakers and unplug them to put on another computer. Then I have to reboot to get sound again. Is there some way to prevent this?

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
michaelrjohnson said:
The first time around, I didn't reply to this thread because I interpreted "ATM" as "Adobe Type Manager", just now I figured that it might stand for "At The Moment".

Either way, I'm very glad you got it fixed. I've never heard of that happening before! I wonder what it actually did...

Every time I saw it, I thought Automatic Teller Machine. I would always be a little confused for a moment. "Tiger is running on ATMs now and Apple is being real quiet about it?" :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.