Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
BornAgainMac said:
If Core Image is used to create the ripple effect and you don't have a supported video card, why doesn't the CPU get off it's butt and do the ripple effect like it is suppose to? I thought all Macs will support Core Image but the work will be done on the CPU with a unsupported card.

The ripple effect doesn't have to be fast, just work.

Hold down the shift key and trigger expose.

Now, do you really want to pin the CPU for something like that?

I don't know how slow the ripple effect would be in software (if it would be that slow) but apparently Apple's decided people wouldn't want to wait that long.

Of course there's always the incentive of giving them something visual to remind them that an upgrade is in order ;)

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
It looks just fine without the ripple effect. It flies in on the screen smoothly and the widgets don't look funny or out of place. You just drop them in the same way. The ONLY difference is, you don't get the facy ripple when you drop the widget in. Everything else in the dashboard is the same. I'd rather they create something that will stand the test of time rather than develope to the lowest common denomenator, even if my iBook is such a representative. I'll see the coveted ripple effect when I upgrade to the next Power/i-Book. For now, I'm just happy to have access to the dashboard in the first place. After all, I only recently made the switch from PCs where the focus is on function over form. It doesn't really bother me because I don't see it. Everything just works.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
A lot of people are also getting confused about the 9800 and 9600. Apple says a 9600 or 9800XT is core image compatable. Many people with the 9600, 9800, and the other variants of those card say, " Crap, no ripple effect." Although the card should work. For ex: the 9800 XT and 9800 Pro have the same core, just the XT is a bit faster in speed. Same with the 9600. Also, I have seen over the months that core image needs a minimal of 64 MB of VRAM. I have a 32 MB 5200 Go, and I get the ripple effect, so that rumor is thrown out the window.

PS: Yeah 500th post! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.