Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Discussion in 'Community' started by devilot, Jul 15, 2005.

1. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I saw a midnight sneak viewing of the movie on IMAX:
    Tim Burton + Johnny Depp= very entertaining. Not to mention I love the little boy (he's also in Finding Neverland)! It was fun, the first 100 people got a special clear, rubber, bouncy ball w/ images of the kids inside; I got the chubby one. :p

2. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i've been looking forward to this film for a while now..should be great.

of course, us brits will get it a few months after you guys.

plus, you can never have enough of the oompa loompas!

[​IMG]

mmm...oompa loompa doompadee doo...ok, i'll shutup now :rolleyes:

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I dunno. I still think I prefer the original Charlie and The Chocolate Factory movie. The movie I made up in my head as I was reading the book as a child.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yeah although the new one (from the clips I've seen) looks a little more like my imagined movie. I loathed the last one with Gene Wilder in it. It was nothing like Willy Wonka should be.

I did smile at the supermarket last week to see the Willy Wonka sweets with the flash to say there are 5 gold tickets inside...

5. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

I still haven't read the book. <Please don't kill me!> But according to some people, this movie is closer to the book than the original. I've also heard rumors that the makers of the original movie were poised to make a sequel (so following Roald Dahl's books, probably The Glass Elevator) but Dahl was so displeased with the outcome of the first movie that he wouldn't allow them to make it.

Asif, how come the UK gets the movie, "months" after the States?

As for the original, I hated Charlie's mother's song. "Cheer up Charlie." Gag. But man, the first time I saw Willy Wonka approach the Golden Ticket winners and he was about to fall but somersaulted... that was mind-boggling to me. :D

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Seems like an odd thing to say, considering the remake is much closer to Dahl's version than the original, which was much lighter and more wholesome than the book. Also, uh, can you have a preference if you haven't seen it?

edit: oh, duh, i see what you mean. With CGI and everything, imagination gets buried by the wayside :(

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I meant to say the original movie I envisioned in my head. I've never seen the Wilder version.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah you beat me to it, I'm not too quick this morning :)

Anyway I'm hoping to see it in the next couple of weeks, looking forward immensely :)

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

FYI, the first movie was called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, while this one is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The second is the real name of the book, maybe they were allowed to called it that because it follows the story closer.

10. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

Thanks for that info regarding the original's name. I hope I don't ruin anybody's day, but the movie really is about Willy Wonka; ironically (in regards to the movie titles), the original was much more focused on Charlie than Wonka but Tim Burton's definitely delves into Wonka's character more. It's a bit like Shakespeare's "Caesar" in that the play isn't really about Caesar, but about Brutus.

11. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

heh, we just do. i guess it's just how films work..oops, i just checked and we get it two weeks after you..which is odd, because normally the difference is longer [perhaps because this is a summer holiday kids film the release window is similar]

the somersault (sp?) in the gene wilder movie is my favourite moment (apart from the oompa loompa dance).

i hope this film doesn't ruin the whole story for me. :eek:

i remember when we had wonka bars in the uk..they were chocolate bars with that stuff that crackles in your mouth. mmm..they were great..but then i stopped seeing them - do they still make them?

looks like it's time for an impromptu visit to tescos :D

12. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

i watched the original last night, have never really watched it all the way through before. I'm hopefully that the new one is not going to suck. Everytime I watch the previews, I get excited about it but they just dont look all that good. Depp plus burton plus danny elfman is always gold, so i believe it should not disappoint.

13. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

According to this article Dahl wrote the screenplay for the original film. but he still didn't like it. :confused:

14. Lau Guest

Totally. I haven't seen quite a few films because I've got such a vivid picture of what the characters look like. Quite a few I have seen I've been disappointed by. Although most of the Roald Dahl books I had were illustrated by Quentin Blake, the Charlie and The Chocolate Factory I had had some kind of old pen and ink drawings that were a bit spooky and sinister. They were great. Charlie was this skinny scruffy little kid, and the grandparents were unbelievably wizened and old.

I might try and find it actually, will scan some and edit this post if I find them...

15. vniow macrumors G4

Muahaha, I get to see this movie for free on my birthday!

*smirk*

16. GanChan macrumors 6502

The somersault, if i have the story right, was Wilder's own invention, or at least he was in on it with the director. Why show Wonka as a decrepit, listless, limping figure, then suddenly reverse things? Because from that moment forward, said Wilder in his memoirs, the audience would never know whether Wonka was kidding or serious....

Whatever the faults of the original film, Wilder has to be counted as its great virtue.

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

a kind of strange middle aged man with pale skin and long hair who hangs around with children... does this sound familiar?

I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to think anything besides that about this movie.

18. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I have to say I dont want to see this movie becuase I was so freaked out by the little umpalumpas in the orignal movie when I was a kid :eek: :(

19. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Comes out in the UK and worldwide on the 29 July I think.

20. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

And Runninmac, don't worry, there's technically only one oompa loompa, well, one actor. He's definitely nowhere near the creepiness of the former neon-orangey-too-much-self-tanner oompa loompas. ;)

Bummer, guess I started this thread too soon, then, huh? Sigh. Oh well. I think I'm gonna go see it again in a standard theater. I really liked it. :D

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Ugh. The part that freaked me out was when the kid (Augustus?) fell into the chocolate lake and got sucked up into one of those pipes. Yes, I owe a number of childhood nightmares to Willy Wonka and Poltergeist.

Having said that, I'm still interested in seeing Tim Burton's version. ;)

22. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    If I remember correctly, the original movie was call Willy Wonka to tie it in more closely with the candy company in promotions.

Wilder's performance made 'Willy Wonka' for me. Dahl didn't enjoy the various added dialog in the movie that was added by the director/Wilder to give Wonka more dimension, but I think more than anything he just didn't get along with the people making the movie. I haven't seen the Burton version, but I don't think I will enjoy it as much as the original. Of course, I didn't really enjoy the book too much either.

23. theonenonlyjoey macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

First thing that came to my mind when I saw the poster.

24. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Actually I read in the paper today they changed the name to Willy Wonka because Charlie was considered a racial slur at the time.

25. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I don't want to spoil it for you, but I heard there are a few more MJ coincidences in the movie. :eek: