Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Whats interesting to me about the next iPhone will be in relation to thickness. Apple always strives to make things thinner, but the headphone jack is now the thickest object on the outer rim of the phone. To make it thinner, that has to be changed.

And I also think this is a MAJOR redesign, just like the iPhone 4 was. The phones since the iPhone 4 have largely been based around the same philosophy, and I think this next generation will be radically different. I feel like Apple has been working on this thing for a while (remember the larger screen teardrop shaped rumors). Whatever is coming is going to be amazing.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Does anyone else think the "763 million subscribers" reported in the first sentence of the article is a typo? That's represents 57% of every man, woman, child, and newborn infant in China. Especially in a country that still has a sizable rural and poor population, it seems to be an extraordinarily high figure. Further and though they are the largest, China Mobile is only one of three carriers in China.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Does anyone else think the "763 million subscribers" reported in the first sentence of the article is a typo? That's represents 57% of every man, woman, child, and newborn infant in China. Especially in a country that still has a sizable rural and poor population, it seems to be an extraordinarily high figure. Further and though they are the largest, China Mobile is only one of three carriers in China.

China Mobile's own website says 763,296,000 customers.

http://www.chinamobileltd.com/en/ir/operation.php

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
China Mobile's own website says 763,296,000 customers.

http://www.chinamobileltd.com/en/ir/operation.php

True, but it's important to note that about 80% of them are still on 2G phones and can't even afford a cheaper (Android) smartphone.

"Only" 100-150 million have a 3G phone, the addressable market for Apple is therefore much smaller at the moment.

There are also many unofficial iPhones already being used on the CHL network.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
what?

- Apple won't have to pay the carriers the high margins they demand

I think you got this the other way around, Apple demands high margins that carriers have to cover in their subsidy, not the other way around.

Why on earth would Apple have its second best selling product (iPad) canibalize its most successful product (iPhone)? :confused: :confused:

Kirb112

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013
I'd box up that phone, and never touch it. That signature will be worth something one day.

Obviously, would be worth even more if it were Steve.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
I'm tired of people saying anything bigger than the current iPhone results in being a iPad Mini size phablet that becomes impossible to handle in your hands.

Phones out there with screens within 4-5 inches are not phablets by any means. And if there is any company that can really pull this off, its Apple.

The trend in smartphone usage has changed since the days of the first iPhone in 2007. Ever since, the phone has been increasingly being used for media consumption. For many, the benefits of watching videos/pictures, surfing the net, playing games on a slightly bigger screen outweighs the inconvenience in holding a slightly bigger phone (I'm not talking 5+ inch phones).

newcronos

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
I want to be happier now! :D

What is it with all this one hand operation crap?! I previewed Steve's iPhone intro in 2007 and I consistently saw two handed operation. One hand held the device. The second hand flicked, pressed, pinch to zoom, typed, etc.
/
/

It came out later. It's from the Apple ad that came out when they released iPhone 5 and it's still no bigger than 4". They had to put a spin on it and emphasized the reason why iPhones stay small.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
As soon as Apple releases a larger screen you will all love and finally stop whining how phones should only be a certain size.

I have a Note 2 and I love it. Don't think I could go any smaller than what the S4 is now, really interested in trying an iPhone next so hopefully they go bigger and wider.... Not just taller like they did with the 5. That looks like a TV remote

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
"...but that they are working on "great things" and want to keep them secret because "you will be so much happier when you see it."

The condescending language / tone of Apple executives never ends - it must be part of Apple's indoctrination program with weekly reminder seminars.

----------

I'd box up that phone, and never touch it. That signature will be worth something one day.

Obviously, would be worth even more if it were Steve.

You're kidding right - a Tim Cook signed phone ... will it never end!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
"...but that they are working on "great things" and want to keep them secret because "you will be so much happier when you see it."

The condescending language / tone of Apple executives never ends - it must be part of Apple's indoctrination program with weekly reminder seminars.

Huh? All he's saying that people like to be surprised. I hope this year Apple is able to do that.

----------

As soon as Apple releases a larger screen you will all love and finally stop whining how phones should only be a certain size.

I have a Note 2 and I love it. Don't think I could go any smaller than what the S4 is now, really interested in trying an iPhone next so hopefully they go bigger and wider.... Not just taller like they did with the 5. That looks like a TV remote

So because you love a larger screen phone that means everyone else would too if they had one. Why do people feel the need to tel others what they should/shouldn't like? And I'd say the same thing to someone saying a smaller screen is better.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
You (not YOU personally) can take the thing on the right and ram it where the sun doesn't shine.

That's a mini tablet, not a mobile phone. This infatuation with giant screens for phones is becoming tiresome.

Please explain to me why a larger phone is such an affront to your sensibilities? I don't think anyone is saying get rid of the 4" iPhone. What people are asking for is another option; the larger iPhone. A 5" phone is not a mini tablet. I'm sorry, it's just not. Once you get into the Note sized phones maybe you're more right than wrong.

If Apple decided to drop the 4" handset altogether then by all means let the pitchforks come out. Giving their customers more choice is a win/win for Apple and the customers.

I just don't understand all the premature hand wringing. What's really tiresome is having no size option with a product you consider great... but would be even greater with a bit more real estate.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
If they came out with a 4.7-4.9 inch screen, and did it the Apple way of making it look amazing... id never look at an android phone again.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I pray(not really) that Apple comes out with at least a 5" iPhone this year. I've wanted this the last 2 years. I almost switched to Android when the 5s was announced. I hope they keep selling a 4" phone for people that don't want a bigger phone, but there are a lot of us that REALLY want a bigger iPhone.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
The people who really prefer the 4 inch form factor and would not even consider upping that to say 4.5 or 4.7 inches would not really have much of a choice given that there isnt likely to be a 4 inch premium phone in the market at 4 inches in 2014-2016 (time frame for the 6/6s form factor)...This is the reason i think apple can well afford to up the size of the phone in order to capture an even bigger market that likes bigger phones. In my opinon having two phones would be a profitable investment for apple despite having to deal with developers etc.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
I recently dumped my iPhone 5 for a Nexus 5 almost exclusively for the bigger screen. I definitely like the 5" screen better; it just makes sense (however, Android has yet to convince me that it's measurably better in any way). However I'm not sure about a 6" phablet, I think I would rather carry a more reasonably-sized phone as well as a 7-8" tablet.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
I definitely like the 5" screen better

However I'm not sure about a 6" phablet, I think I would rather carry a more reasonably-sized phone as well as a 7-8" tablet.

Agree, 5" is pretty close to the sweet spot with me as well. Although if the options are 4" and 6", I'll go for the 6" even though I think it is verging on too big. I'd rather have too big than too small...

TimeSquareDesi

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2013
I'm totes New Yorkian
I have no desire to use Android, however, I do like the form factor of the Galaxy series phones, S3, S4, and would like to see the iPhone 6 get that sort of size.

I agree 100%... and not that I'm a fan of phablets, but the Note 3 screen is GORGEOUS but way too large for a "mobile phone" that you can put in your pocket.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
ok then. So I'll keep asking about a SMALLER iPhone then. And I'll keep asking for an iPad that has more screen real estate.
I find my iPhone borderline too big. Sorry.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I think I'd rather go with the Moto X form factor -- I think it's the perfect size after having handled it in person.

fZHLtVg.png

agreed. I think the moto x is the perfect form factor. I owned a Nexus 5 for a couple of weeks and then a moto x for a couple of weeks. The N5 had a beautiful screen but was just a little too wide for good one-handed use. The Moto X was perfect... too bad it wasn't running iOS 7 ;)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I think we are all sure it will happen, but I just can't believe these 5.5 to 6 inch rumors.

As conservative as Apple is, I just don't think they would change that drastically.

But the rumors about a 4.7 and 5.5 inch scare me. I'm worried that Apple will give the 5.5 inch some hardware/software advantages over the 4.7....

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Haha he's at a huge launch and all people want to know is when Apple will catch up with their screen sizes. Classic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.