Tim Cook Auctions Charity Lunch Meeting at Apple HQ

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 24, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Charity auction site CharityBuzz is hosting a second listing to meet with Apple CEO Tim Cook at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California, this time offering a lunch meeting.

The auction is the second Cook has volunteered his time for, with last year's coffee auction raising $610,000 for the RFK Center for Justice & Human Rights. The 2014 auction benefits the same cause, which aims to achieve a "just and peaceful world by partnering with human rights leaders, teaching social justice and advancing corporate responsibility."

Two people can meet with Cook for lunch, for approximately one hour. The cost of the meal is included, and the auction winner must agree to travel to Cupertino for the meeting, which will be scheduled on a "mutually agreed upon date."

The current high bid on the auction, which has an estimated value of $100,000, is at $10,000 with 19 days left to go. The auction will end on Tuesday, May 13. Due to shill bids last year, all bidders are required to submit credit card authorization to bid.

Article Link: Tim Cook Auctions Charity Lunch Meeting at Apple HQ
  2. macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2008
    Credit card authorization... of $50k, $100k? Lol, I think I'll sit this one out. I have an AMEX business card with no set limit, but pigs would fly when they'd authorize me to spend $50k. I guess I'll have to visit Cupertino and just sit behind him when he's out to lunch.
  3. macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2013
  4. macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Dec 15, 2013
    New York
  5. macrumors newbie

May 24, 2010
    Only reason i'd like to meet him is to tell him what piece of ***** he is. Ever since he's took over all the products lost their quality! I'm speaking of the flimsy iPad air, the completely unrepairable iMac, MBPr and mostly every product they have right now. Everything is glued! It's a time where form is superior than function.
  6. macrumors member

Jun 16, 2005
    Can i pick the lunch location. I'm thinking sleazy strip club:D
  7. Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    If it were Steve Jobs or Woz, then that would be worth it. I don't think Cook brings much to the table in terms of vision or desire for innovation. He's a great manager, but I don't think of Tim Cook when I think apple/innovation.
  8. macrumors 65816

Jun 16, 2006
    Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
    Agreed. The best business transactions occur there.
  9. macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2012
  10. macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2006
    New York, New York
    IIRC your AMEX's limit is relative to your average spending in the last 6 months, and you can check on their site after you log in. My friend's AMEX plat would clear him for 60k, while he only spends a few thousand a month.
  11. macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2012
    If I have that kind of money to bid, I would probably be able to meet him on high end social event, unless i'm doing it for charity.
  12. macrumors member

Jun 12, 2011
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    If anybody's interested in having lunch with me near my office, I'm only charging $10,000.
  13. macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2007
    I'd buy that for a dollar!

But no more than that.
  14. macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Dec 15, 2013
    New York
    Did you really?

Wow that sounds like a deal:D
  15. macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2006
    Where I live
  16. macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2009
    What would you even talk about at a lunch like this? I mean, aside from having lunch with the CEO of Apple and having pleasant conversation I just don't see the value.
  17. macrumors 6502

Jun 28, 2010
    I hope whoever wins this bid/lunch date, at some point asks Tim what time it is? Just to see if he accidentally pulls back his long-sleeve button down to reveal the iWatch :) Of course, if he did, you might not make it back to your car!

Wow, really?

18. macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2011
    Or just give it to a charity you enjoy. Funny how many need to have an incentive to want to give.
  19. macrumors regular

Mar 27, 2014
    I'm sure they mean well, but I can't help but gag when I hear that term.
  20. macrumors 68000

Oct 31, 2005
    Sounds like you mama never taught you how to take care of your toys. There's a difference between how you should treat sophisticated electronic equipment and a football. I'm on my 3rd pair of iMacs, and 4th iPad, and have never needed a repair or replacement. You're obviously holding them wrong. :p
  21. macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2012
    If those stupid straight people at the office would stop asking me what I did last weekend and how my family is doing, I wouldn't have to rub it in their faces by answering their questions truthfully with "my husband and I went out to a metal concert and then we had some beers with some friends downtown at [insertanygaybarhere]".

And see, I just rubbed it in your face too :)
  22. macrumors 68000

Aug 23, 2011
    nobody bid till last minute..and let it be 1 dollar.
  23. macrumors newbie

May 24, 2010
    I'm saying that Apple have started to make everything as compact and unrepairable as possible. And on top of that, they make the device as underpowered as possible with bottlenecks like insufficient RAM etc.

Consumers won't be able to repair or upgrade their device. All this just to sell more devices.They have become greedy.

What makes me sick is all their bullcrap on caring about the environment when they do everything in their power to sell more. If they really cared they wouldn't be blinded by money.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2010
    This is the place
  25. macrumors 68000

Jul 3, 2009
    If they really cared to make this big, it would be two events.

1) a guaranteed meeting to the highest bidder as it stands

2) a second lunch won by drawing. Tickets could be bought for $25 or so.

That way a small business owner or start up person can get some facetime with Tim Cook vs a already successful rich person.