Tim Cook Charity Lunch Auction Ends, Earning $330,001 for RFK Center

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 13, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Tim Cook's second CharityBuzz auction, for a one hour lunch meeting with Cook at Apple's Cupertino headquarters, ended today at $330,001. Bids for this year's auction were quite a bit more reserved than the coffee charity meeting Cook auctioned last year, which brought in $610,000.

[​IMG]
    The money earned from the auction will benefit the RFK Center for Justice & Human Rights, a charity that aims to achieve "a just and peaceful world by partnering with human rights leaders, teaching social justice and advancing corporate responsibility."

The winner of the auction will be able to meet with Tim Cook for approximately one hour at Apple's Cupertino campus, on a "mutually agreed upon date." The cost of the meal is included, but travel to Cupertino must be paid by the auction winner.

On May 10, Tim Cook added an additional benefit for the auction winner -- a VIP guest spot at an upcoming Apple event, announced on Twitter.
    Following multiple shill bids last year, CharityBuzz implemented a credit card authorization requirement for all bidding customers, a policy that may explain why this year's auction was ultimately less popular with bidders.

(Thanks, Eric!)

Article Link: Tim Cook Charity Lunch Auction Ends, Earning $330,001 for RFK Center

2. macrumors 68020

Hope it's steak and lobster...

3. iLoveiTunes, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014

macrumors regular

cost of travel to be paid by winner... that's the only reason I didn't bid :eek: :D:rolleyes:

4. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

Tim Cook value is dwindling.
    hopefully at least a michelin star meal for that kind of price

5. macrumors 603

nfl46

Not bad at all. At least its for a good reason. I'd like to be VIP guest at the iPhone 6 event, so I could get that hands-on before the masses.

6. lars666, May 13, 2014

macrumors 6502a

For $330.000, Tim will surely put a pair of Beats for the winner on top.

7. macrumors 68000

yanki01

free iPhone 6?

8. macrumors 68020

I'd imagine a free meal paid for by Apple is nothing compared to the publicity a charity event like this gets. Then again, if its a charity event, I think either Apple should split the costs involved for the winner, or the winner pays all.

9. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I want a goodie bag

10. macrumors regular

for that price, they should dig up Steve Jobs and Johnny animate him with strings

11. macrumors 68000

JarScott

When you've just handed over $330,000 without thinking twice, the cost of travel is probably penny change to you.

For that price, Apple should fly you out to Cupertino, provide you with an amazing meal, an hour's chat with Tim Cook, an iPhone, and iPad and your choice of a top end MacBook Pro or Mac Pro!!

12. Cali Fornia, May 13, 2014

macrumors regular

For people who would have donated that amount of money anyway, it's certainly a nice bonus to be entitled to eat with some popular CEO. ;)

13. macrumors newbie

$ 330,001 ?? I really hope the winner didn't outbid someone by $1 !

14. macrumors 6502a

"...winner of the auction will be able to meet with Tim Cook for approximately one hour..."

Heaven forbid, that lunch should go over 1 hour - nice culture at Cupertino!

15. macrumors regular

Apparently, you have to bid in $5,000 increments (according to that screenshot lol)

16. macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I think I know why....Im guessing last years winner felt he got nothing. Tim doesnt say anything, except we have some great products coming....this is what I always says and nothing more. Steve Jobs was 10x better to sugercoat an make things sound interesting, even if he didn´t reveal any secrets.

A lunch with Tim seem like one utterly boring hour imo, like talking to a rock.

If I were a millionaire I would pay a lot for a lunch with steve, that could have been an interesting chat.

17. macrumors regular

smizzle

These lunches must be so awkward.

18. macrumors regular

AstronomyiPhone

Someone's going to say something about how the CEO's value went down year-over-year...

19. macrumors 68000

richwoodrocket

LOL.
    I agree. This would be so awesome but so awkward. So.... What's up tim?

20. macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Now imagine a lunch with Steve Jobs a few years back..

21. macrumors 68000

topmounter

At least that would make for a good story.

Tim Cook? Yeah, but no thanks. Maybe in ten or twenty years when he's come into his own.

22. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think what you meant to say is, it is was less popular with phony bidders.

23. macrumors 6502

0xyMoron

Creepy dude....

24. macrumors 68020

They should print a 3D copy of the iPhone 6 mockup, slide it across the table while Tim is taking a bite, and say, "How close is this?"

----------

:)

25. macrumors 6502a

chasemac

Tim, get back to work!