Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Steve changed the world with his vision of computing giving even 3rd world countries the opportunities to own a smart phone. I think that's charity enough.

Whilst I dont agree with the OP.

You are kidding right? What third world country does Apple currently sell smartphones in, and at a price they could afford?

(Note I'm doing this in GBP as Apple dont list iPhones for sale at their total price for the US due to their poor phone companies)
To give you some sort of clue, a basic iPhone 5 costs £529.

Based on that figure, that £529 could provide 64 families (2 adults, 2 children) in Africa with clean drinking water for life. Thats 256 lives right there.

Kinda put it into perspective doesn't it. An iPhone (or any smart phone ) is useless to a third world country, period.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Only his book. He was definitely not into philantrophy! He was somewhat ok for other people giving away money, but not him.

But it's his decision what to do with his money. When you give to charity for lets say starving people in africa.....usualy that money is spent to buy weapons by militia.

I would suggest that not all charitable giving ends up buying weapons for militia. I don't think the Red Cross is buying a lot of AK-47's, as one of many examples.

I really don't care if Jobs was philanthropical or not...I agree that his money was his to do with as he saw fit.. I was wondering how anyone knew of his private behavior. Not having read the biography, I wasn't aware that it was discussed therein, as you say.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Charity aside, $180,000 for up to one hour with TC while he pretends to be interested in what you have to say doesn't sound like a very good deal to me.

And it's not like he's going to divulge information on Apple's internal workings or plans...

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
... An iPhone (or any smart phone ) is useless to a third world country, period.

I realize I've snipped just part of your post, but wanted to pick up on this. There's actually a lot of work going on to introduce 'basic' smartphones and supporting infrastructure to third world countries (especially in Africa) where they're playing an important role in development, for example by allowing farmers to monitor extreme weather conditions and market prices etc. There's also healthcare issues, allowing remote communities to access and exchange information about disease. I'm not saying you need an iPhone for this, but access to the Internet is a powerful enabler in developing countries and with unreliable electricity supplies, a basic smartphone is the most effective way of bringing connectivity to most communities and individuals.

M

Mr.damien

How do you know he donated little to charity. Just because he wasn't public about it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I would say that real charity has to be hidden. Otherwise you are just using it to make you look better...

kdarling

macrumors P6
There's actually a lot of work going on to introduce 'basic' smartphones and supporting infrastructure to third world countries (especially in Africa) where they're playing an important role in development, for example by allowing farmers to monitor extreme weather conditions and market prices etc. There's also healthcare issues, allowing remote communities to access and exchange information about disease. I'm not saying you need an iPhone for this, but access to the Internet is a powerful enabler in developing countries and with unreliable electricity supplies, a basic smartphone is the most effective way of bringing connectivity to most communities and individuals.

I would repeat this as well.

Recently the GSM Alliance for Women had a contest for a smartphone UI to help women in such regions. The challenge was to empower resource poor women, even those who could not read.

I believe that all the winning entries were replacement launchers for Android.

Challenge and winners here.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
I'm the last one to defend Jobs in any way...but do we have a public record of his private charitable donations, if any?

His public policies at Apple were not supportive of charitable giving, but I don't know about any private philanthropy.

Do you have that information??

There are tax records and I think they were devoid of charity claims. He might have been donating without reporting. That would be doubly charitable wouldn't it?

From my perspective, this man built a company that employs people from all over the world. He's put devices in our hands that have changed our world and enhanced our quality of life. His products help the disabled, educate, entertain and help our businesses operate. The work of Steve and his company has contributed more to the world than most can dream of. He kept working till the end of his life on projects he would never get to see himself. I would say that was the work of someone who has a giving heart.

----------

Ok, does anyone else think it's odd that the charity is for justice and human rights when Apple gets a lot of it's stuff from China, who is one of the wort violators of Human Rights?

Does Apples presence there give them an opportunity to make change there? If we bottled ourselves up in the US what influence in China would Apple have?

Go there, do business, let them know they need to change and improve the quality of life for its citizens. We've seen this take place at Foxconn.

----------

I gave it a good run, but it quickly left my price range. (And I don't even drink coffee. I would have been satisfied with some OJ and a game of Letterpress.

HAHA, it would be awesome if the winner just wanted to play some game center games with Tim. :D

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
really ? 100.000 dollars to have a coffee with tim cook.

well yea it's for charity, but people that have the kind of money like that, it must've been easy for them to ask their assistant to arrange a meet / chat with any CEO or maybe even leaders of the world. :D

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
PasswordBox.com - PasswordBox is a secure password management app which is currently restricted to VIP members only and is available on a wait list basis. Its CEO and co-founder is Daniel Robichaud.
Somewhat off topic, but why would they introduce an app in this fashion?

Last edited:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
really ? 100.000 dollars to have a coffee with tim cook.

well yea it's for charity, but people that have the kind of money like that, it must've been easy for them to ask their assistant to arrange a meet / chat with any CEO or maybe even leaders of the world. :D

$180k now ...

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
I don't understand how the bidders have so much money that they can part with $100K and not feel it.

Those names are not associated with earth shattering fortunes or dynasties. LIke that guy from password box.com

How do they have so much $$$?

Don't you know? Less then 1% have (in the US) more then 90% of the wealth (may not be correct entirely on the actual numbers but thats the ball park).

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Charity aside, $180,000 for up to one hour with TC while he pretends to be interested in what you have to say doesn't sound like a very good deal to me.

And it's not like he's going to divulge information on Apple's internal workings or plans...

I think its more the opposite - sitting there hearing what he has to say...

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Larry is a great guy. Always awesome to work with and drink with over the years. Hoping he places a bid last minute and snags it.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I gave it a good run, but it quickly left my price range. (And I don't even drink coffee. I would have been satisfied with some OJ and a game of Letterpress.

I hate coffee and it makes peoples' breath smell like feces. And if they put non-dairy creamer in it - or any kind of dairy - it makes their breath smell like feces and vomit.

ilmman

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Only for the first few years. Plus they gave him a private jet during that time. And he was still CEO and majority owner of Pixar.

But I do believe that he gave privately.

Did you really had to take the post seriously?

res08hao

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
what douchebag decided it needed to benefit the Justice and Human rights crowd? All are far left Obama takers and muslim victim advocates.

fsboy0

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
It's genius.

Meet with Tim Cook, use it as a business expense (either donation, or business meeting), 100% tax deductible = FREE

Uh, it is a charity, it's already tax deductible. Also, free? I don't think you understand how taxes work.

----------

I would suggest that not all charitable giving ends up buying weapons for militia. I don't think the Red Cross is buying a lot of AK-47's, as one of many examples.

I really don't care if Jobs was philanthropical or not...I agree that his money was his to do with as he saw fit.. I was wondering how anyone knew of his private behavior. Not having read the biography, I wasn't aware that it was discussed therein, as you say.

Actually Boris isn't incorrect. When you give money to corrupt nations, it is often appropriated for other things. Groups like the Red Cross exist to stop this from happening, and provide direct action to areas in need. If you're going to give money, Red Cross is a good place to do it. But there are tons of charities out there, and most of them have no control over where the money goes once it is turned over to the nation in need.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
But since you feel so strongly about this issue, it would be a great idea to contact Apple, as well as Samsung, Sony, LG, Lenovo, HTC, Amazon, and Microsoft to voice your concerns.
Despite being a singular voice, this is precisely what I did in 2010.

After reading an article about the various ODM operations not only in China, but Taiwan & other locales, I composed individual letters to the companies named above as well as several others.

Also sent off copies with personal cover letters to those in Washington DC that are decision makers.

If nothing else at least they heard the voice of understanding in terms of how it is now, and some thoughts about how over time, the prevailing practices could be changed.

While the letters may have been routed directly to the shredder, or read, I do know that I experienced a sense of satisfaction in making the effort. All too often those thoughts are labeled fleeting and never put in writing. I did my part in this instance. :)

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Your logic and vitriol baffles me, but that seems to be a regular occurrence here. :rolleyes:

His point was that your claim that charitable donations don't really cost in the long run implies a misunderstanding of how tax deductions work.

If you donate $100 you only save $10-$40 on your taxes depending on your tax bracket. Corporate tax rates are 20-35%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.