Tim Cook Comments on 5-Inch Phone Market, Reiterates Commitment to Quality Over Size

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 23, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There have been numerous rumors claiming that Apple is working on an iPhone with a larger screen to compete with phones from competitors like Samsung, but Tim Cook's comments during today's Q2 financial results call indicate that the company is not quite ready to make a phone with a 5-inch screen.
    It appears that Apple will not be releasing an iPhone with a larger screen until the company's manufacturing partners can supply it with a 5-inch screen that meets its demanding criteria.

The above quote is from a rough transcript of the earnings call

Article Link: Tim Cook Comments on 5-Inch Phone Market, Reiterates Commitment to Quality Over Size

2. macrumors 601

So be it. HTC One, here I come. I'm looking for bigger screen, not narrower.

3. Guest

eric/

Definitely ok with this. I don't really care for a 5 inch screen. It's not a feature. I don't want a giant phone I can't hold in one hand. Trying to keep inching in every single size imaginable just because Samsung and LG do it would be a mistake. What's next? Build a 6 inch iPhone?

If you want a bigger screen, go buy a tablet. Oh wait, you probably already have one. And a 10 inch tablet. And a laptop. And a desktop.

4. macrumors 603

nfl46

No larger screen iPhone in 2013, that's for sure. I don't see a 5 inch iPhone in 2014 either. They may up the size but 4 to 5 in one year, oh please. Apple would never.

5. macrumors 65816

JaySoul

That means it is definitely coming.

Just a matter of time now - Tim, don't leave it too late.

6. macrumors member

Yes, the iPhone 5 has a great display. But with the 1080p panels on the htc one/galaxy s4, Apple will need to step up.

The 1080p displays (minus the xperia z) are very,very good looking and better then the iPhone 5. Please make atleast a 720p or even better a 1080p :).

And yes, I have a iphone 5.

7. macrumors 6502

If you have really followed Apple and the way the company operates, this is not a big surprise.

8. macrumors 68040

Seems like a throw away comment. The 'competitors' havent really had to sacrifice quality for a larger screen. He's effectively saying that the iPad and iPad Mini screen's are of poor quality there, as they are larger than the iPhone screen.

9. macrumors 6502

In other words - 5" iPhone @ iPhone Math Is In The Works. (fall 2014)

10. macrumors 68030

From the other thread -

Buh?

*Looks at iPhone 5, which made exactly these tradeoffs.*

Is Tim drunk?

11. macrumors 6502

scbn

Come on, Tim! Why can't Apple release two phones in a year, one 4' and another 5'?

Some of us really love to have a bigger screen!

12. macrumors newbie

Yea I'm bored. Gonna buy a S4 Saturday. Not getting rid of my iPhone 5. This will allow me to spend some time comparing the two.

13. macrumors 68040

Agreed, if I recall isnt the iPhone 5 screen one of the ones that has a slight yellow tint. I own one, but have nothing to compare it against.

Edit: Yep, it is the iPhone 5: http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=312426.0

14. TennisandMusic

I don't care if Tim says they think 4 inches is the right size for a phone, but he straight up lied about the trade offs. I wish they wouldn't do this. How can they keep saying this stuff when the evidence completely flies in the face of such a statement? It's bizarre.

15. macrumors newbie

Are you kidding me?

Delusional. But what else would you expect from a guy who has destroyed 5 times more investor value in one year than Bernie Madoff stole in a lifetime?

If Apple thinks they can wish away the changing reality of the market, they (and their stockholders) are going to be in for very rude awakening. There is absoutely *nothing* I can do with my phone on a 4" screen that I can't do better on a 5" screen. 4.7" is the bare minimum these days - Apple is still trying to compete with phones that were obsolete two years ago.

16. macrumors 6502

No New Products in next Quarter

They spent more time talking about how well the iPhone 4 was selling and sidestepped anything relating to new products. Another conference call with "Great Stuff in the Pipeline" and for it after hours dropped 5.5% from the close of the market.

That is what the analysts will take from the conference call more than what they reported. Expect AAPL to continue the downward spiral for another quarter.

17. macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I still don't understand why they chose to go longer with the 5 rather than proportionally larger.

This just confirmed that I will probably be picking up another phone this year. When Apple decides to get competitive, I might return. That or I will be so sick of Android, I will have no choice :)

18. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

The same was said about the iPad Mini. Apple said that no one would want one, so I see the larger iPhone coming this Fall.

19. macrumors newbie

What was that again about Apple always denying something is worth doing, right before they do it themselves? :)

20. macrumors 6502a

The HTC ONE's display is magnificient and bests the iPhone 5's in every category.

21. macrumors 6502a

and it would be no surprise if they came out with a 5" screen phone in 2 months, they never hint at upcoming products even when they have to fib about their design philosophy to keep the secrets. example: ipad mini.

PS I have had the HTC One since friday and have no regrets on the switch from iphone, and it certainly doesn't feel like a tablet.

22. macrumors member

oscalifornia25

That's great! Having a samsung is like carrying a tablet in your pocket as a phone. The iPhone is just perfect in size. Also, it's like everyone else is going backwards in time when the phones were larger.

23. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

He is not talking megapixels, he's talking quality.

24. macrumors 6502a

Between this and the ancient mobile OS, it's time to switch to a Samsung or Windows phone this summer when my contract is finally up.

25. macrumors 68030

needfx

no more screen size fragmentation, thank you!