Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
While this kind of retrospective and celebration is fun, it's very clear that this isn't Steve's Apple anymore. I can't remember any celebration of significance on the 20th or 25th anniversary of the 'Mac' introduction, and as cool as it was, the TAM was introduced before Steve came back.

I'm not saying "Steve wouldn't have done this!!" just it's interesting to see how the company is changing under new leadership.

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Finally Tim is saying something interesting other than the usual rehearsed stuff. I'm actually interested to see what he has to say on the surveillance program, to learn about his work ethic etc.

I think it's truly impressive he reads that many customer emails. I've emailed him once, tried to keep it short and sweet, who knows maybe it along with hundreds of other factors influenced a decision somewhere or got focus to some issue.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
While this kind of retrospective and celebration is fun, it's very clear that this isn't Steve's Apple anymore.
I don't know. There is the compulsive attention to thinness. That's a Steve thing. There is the deprecating of "old" technology. Classic Steve. There's the release of a new OS with massively new innards, mostly unstable to end users and breaking work flow habits. Totally Steve.

Apple has adopted some of the aspects of Steve that annoy users in the name of changing the world around them.

Look at the iOS 7 update. Annoyed many users, but nonetheless is ubiquitous.

Apple is about the same. When you look at the slide show on Apple's site today it is interesting to me what Macs were used for. Not what I perceived, but all you have to do is look at 2001 and all of a sudden the internet is the make-it app for the platform.

I was using a IIci in a networked university to discover the internet in 1992. I think while I was discovering FTP and email someone came up with this thing called a browser. Useless! Nothing to see. Move along.

Rocketman

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
While this kind of retrospective and celebration is fun, it's very clear that this isn't Steve's Apple anymore. I can't remember any celebration of significance on the 20th or 25th anniversary of the 'Mac' introduction, and as cool as it was, the TAM was introduced before Steve came back.

I'm not saying "Steve wouldn't have done this!!" just it's interesting to see how the company is changing under new leadership.

There was a special edition of Mac for the 20th anniversary. I think the tab was $10,000.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Right there in the first picture you see some of what is wrong at Apple.

Grey hair.

Apple could use some young innovative people. As much as I like Apple (just got another one this week!) the product line has become stale, restrictive and overly-conservative. Users keep loosing connectivity and the ability to upgrade. The product line is full of holes, just what you might expect from some old, grey-haired dudes.

I would counter and say that's part of what's right at Apple. Steady leadership. They don't react to every new idea just because it's new. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race. I think Apples methodical approach has proven itself to be the right strategy. The results speak volumes. They change when they need to do so.

Also, I'm not in their HR Dept but I am pretty sure they have a crap ton of young innovative people working there. And about that... innovation doesn't have a chronological equivalency quotient.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

Grey hair.

Apple could use some young innovative people. As much as I like Apple (just got another one this week!) the product line has become stale, restrictive and overly-conservative. Users keep loosing connectivity and the ability to upgrade. The product line is full of holes, just what you might expect from some old, grey-haired dudes.

Interesting comment. The iPhone 5 release was the time to really make an impression and instead Apple played it conservative. It was about a month after owning the iP5 from launch when I felt Apple hadn't done enough.

Obviously their moves have done well with respect to their business, but it was the fall of 2012 where I wish Apple could have released the larger iPhone. Instead it will most likely come in the fall of 2014.

A big reason why Samsung can take risks with their hardware is because they provide virtually every compoment in their devices. Apple instead must work with others.

I admire Samsung a great deal. They created the original phablet with the first Note. The SIII seems to be the device that really hammered home the market for 4.7" and larger phones. They took the risks and it's one of the reasons they are doing so well right now.

Apple instead has played it very safe with the iPhone. That's isn't a bad way to operate of course but it led me and many others to purchase the S4.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Interesting comment. The iPhone 5 release was the time to really make an impression and instead Apple played it conservative. It was about a month after owning the iP5 from launch when I felt Apple hadn't done enough.

Obviously their moves have done well with respect to their business, but it was the fall of 2012 where I wish Apple could have released the larger iPhone. Instead it will most likely come in the fall of 2014.

A big reason why Samsung can take risks with their hardware is because they provide virtually every compoment in their devices. Apple instead must work with others.

I admire Samsung a great deal. They created the original phablet with the first Note. The SIII seems to be the device that really hammered home the market for 4.7" and larger phones. They took the risks and it's one of the reasons they are doing so well right now.

Apple instead has played it very safe with the iPhone. That's isn't a bad way to operate of course but it led me and many others to purchase the S4.

Too each it's own. But I don't see this mass exodus to Samsung and the sales number support that too.

AllenSSD

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
By comparison:

Looking at the image of Jony and his design team, I see an older aged group with experience. These are people who have proven over and over again that they take their time to release a fully baked product.

Looking at Larry Page and his team at Google you see a little more youth that are slightly unseasoned. These are people that create cool concept beta products that just never feel fully baked to me. (http://www.google.com)

I know that I am preaching to the choir here on this board, but I prefer slow and steady with finished products.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-09-19 at 9.31.26 AM-749876.png
    Screen shot 2012-09-19 at 9.31.26 AM-749876.png
    255.3 KB · Views: 119

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010

There're ways to do things and two of them are:

1. Trial and error (or throw things at the wall until something stick) -- aka Samsung (& others)

2. Careful research and execution -- aka Apple (& others)

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013

The only problem here is that you literally have absolutely no idea what Apple executives are thinking or considering. You think Apple couldn't have made a larger screened device years before Samsung? Lol seriously? Apple chose to make a device that was as perfect in their eyes as they could, and they did. They wanted 3.5" at the time, and it is what they did. They are aware of things you don't even think/consider. Namely, they want a phenomenal display, and as Tim said before, they would never sacrifice the quality of the display for a larger display. Sacrificing quality is not Apple, and it is exactly what makes Apple by far the best. They don't release a product until they know it is ready to be released (granted there are mistakes like maps, etc.), that is why there is no iWatch available right now.

It's actually incredible to me how oblivious Samsung executives are, just one look at the Galaxy Gear and I knew they were lost at sea. A lot of people think the iWatch is a waste of time, and will not sell, but a lot of people aren't intelligent. The reason Apple is making an iWatch is for biometrics, simple as that. What is the iWatch? It's a device that is worn on the body, and something that can be worn at length, and the only prudent thing to do with a product like that is to heavily track biometrics. Granted, it will tell you the time and alert you of messages and calls etc., but those are not what the product was made for. Then unintelligent people say "biometrics are useless, they offer me nothing, no one will buy them still", but they aren't smart enough, or imaginative enough to think of the endless possibilities with respect to accurate biosensors.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
By comparison:

Looking at the image of Jony and his design team, I see an older aged group with experience. These are people who have proven over and over again that they take their time to release a fully baked product.

Looking at Larry Page and his team at Google you see a little more youth that are slightly unseasoned. These are people that create cool concept beta products that just never feel fully baked to me. (http://www.google.com)

I know that I am preaching to the choir here on this board, but I prefer slow and steady with finished products.

I agree. Young people have the energy but lack refinements. Mature people, especially those who've been around the industry for awhile, through many changes, are better at making things, not just proof of concept products.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The only problem here is that you literally have absolutely no idea what Apple executives are thinking or considering. You think Apple couldn't have made a larger screened device years before Samsung? Lol seriously? Apple chose to make a device that was as perfect in their eyes as they could, and they did. They wanted 3.5" at the time, and it is what they did. They are aware of things you don't even think/consider. Namely, they want a phenomenal display, and as Tim said before, they would never sacrifice the quality of the display for a larger display. Sacrificing quality is not Apple, and it is exactly what makes Apple by far the best. They don't release a product until they know it is ready to be released (granted there are mistakes like maps, etc.), that is why there is no iWatch available right now.

It's actually incredible to me how oblivious Samsung executives are, just one look at the Galaxy Gear and I knew they were lost at sea. A lot of people think the iWatch is a waste of time, and will not sell, but a lot of people aren't intelligent. The reason Apple is making an iWatch is for biometrics, simple as that. What is the iWatch? It's a device that is worn on the body, and something that can be worn at length, and the only prudent thing to do with a product like that is to heavily track biometrics. Granted, it will tell you the time and alert you of messages and calls etc., but those are not what the product was made for. Then unintelligent people say "biometrics are useless, they offer me nothing, no one will buy them still", but they aren't smart enough, or imaginative enough to think of the endless possibilities with respect to accurate biosensors.

Step away from the Apple Kool-Aid Zombie.

I never implied any of those things that you are stating. My point is that Samsung in recent years has made bold decisions that have paid off very well for them.

Let's focus on that Tim Cook statement. It's nonsense. Competitors have offered larger screens that offer zero sacrifices. LG and HTC have provided large IPS screens for years on their smartphones that are just as good if not better than anything you'll find on an iPhone.

Please don't tell me about how smart Apple executives are and how I can't even begin to think on such a level. Whatever their executives have decided in the past is now forcing them to catch up with the competition in the future. Again, from a business standpoint this isn't a bad thing for Apple, but the larger iPhone this fall is just an answer to what other OEM have been offering successfully for a few years now.

Samsung executives aren't 'lost at sea'. I don't know what you are talking about. The Gear isn't a great product but it's just a first-gen edition. The original Surface did poorly from Microsoft but their recent earnings reports shows that the Surface 2 is doing quite well. No reason to believe the Gear 2 can't follow suit.

----------

Too each it's own. But I don't see this mass exodus to Samsung and the sales number support that too.

I don't see a 'mass exodus' either. Never said that to begin with. My point is that people got tired of their iPhone and what it had to offer and opted to at least try a larger screen. The S series is just the line most people switched for. There are other Android devices that others jumped ship to too.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

Grey hair.

Completely disagree - these are people with 30 years in silicon valley, they know technology, they know the business, and they know when they see something great. Most executives will be old in any company...Apple is not a startup, it can't run like a startup.

These aren't typical business/management types, and age isn't an indicator of anything but years alive.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
There're ways to do things and two of them are:

1. Trial and error (or throw things at the wall until something stick) -- aka Samsung (& others)

2. Careful research and execution -- aka Apple (& others)

Unlike most OEM's Samsung has the ability to try option 1. I also see no downside to this approach.

You seem to be implying that Apple potentially releasing a larger iPhone has nothing to do with the competitions success and everything to do with 'careful research and execution'. Honestly I'm not buying that. If we see a larger iPhone I believe it's entirely due to the competitions great success in this market. That goes for 4.7"-5" devices and phablets.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013

Apple actually probably has more control over its integrated device then samsung. The GS4 for example sources the chip from Quallcomm and the Software from Google, the two most important components that OEM should have control over to influence the direction the device takes. Samsung just made bigger screens, although the Note changed the UI and I'd give them props for that. However the Note series is still a niche market category and nothing like a bursting new category like the tablet whose SIZE apple demonstrated by launching the Ipad. If you refer to RISK as being first to market with a product, then AAPL is really not a company you would associate with RISK (as per your definition)..AAPL is known to take things easy, see what technology is DOING for customers/end-users and take that and gel it into a product that captures the collective imagination of the user base. They were not the FIRST RISK takers in smartphones or tablets but they were pretty much market-makers in terms of where the market could GO provided a product which captures the eye of the user/customer. Same thing with the iPod..I am afraid your definition fo RISK is not going to cut it for apple, they enter markets after looking at what is available and after taking time to perfect something to a point where it erupts the entire market in terms of sales. They even advertise this philosophy of theirs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZmIiIXuZ0

Unlike most OEM's Samsung has the ability to try option 1. I also see no downside to this approach.

Downside of offering too many configurations and updating your phones too often forcing massive price fluctuations is of course lower profits and financial performance (as has happened with the Missed earnings). Who will buy a 300 dollar smart-watch when 6 months after you buy it the company execs say that it wasnt good and we are doing an overhaul in Feb?

You seem to be implying that Apple potentially releasing a larger iPhone has nothing to do with the competitions success and everything to do with 'careful research and execution'.

This may be a bone of contention amongst us forum members but i seriously doubt apple really cares. They werent the PIONEER risk takers in tablets, in fact they waited till quite a few were around before comming around on the Ipad. Apple is more interested in seeing where the market is headed and then looking at their available technology and using it to make devices for that market which come off as HOMERUNS and really light the market on fire. So yes SAMSUNG is the pioneer of the PHABLET market with its NOTE family, and apple would have definitly looked at where Samsung, Nokia and others are taking this market, but apple's response to this market (if they do one) would be their version of what they think a product in this space should look like and if previous track record is anything to go by, then they should do very well and be pretty much market-makers in terms of redefining the size and scope of the phablet niche. Same with iWatch and wearable..Peblle, Nike, Samsung are all their and I am sure Apple is looking at what they have to offer..

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Apple actually probably has more control over its integrated device then samsung. The GS4 for example sources the chip from Quallcomm and the Software from Google, the two most important components that OEM should have control over to influence the direction the device takes. Samsung just made bigger screens, although the Note changed the UI and I'd give them props for that. However the Note series is still a niche market category and nothing like a bursting new category like the tablet whose SIZE apple demonstrated by launching the Ipad. If you refer to RISK as being first to market with a product, then AAPL is really not a company you would associate with RISK (as per your definition)..AAPL is known to take things easy, see what technology is DOING for customers/end-users and take that and gel it into a product that captures the collective imagination of the user base. They were not the FIRST RISK takers in smartphones or tablets but they were pretty much market-makers in terms of where the market could GO provided a product which captures the eye of the user/customer. Same thing with the iPod..I am afraid your definition fo RISK is not going to cut it for apple, they enter markets after looking at what is available and after taking time to perfect something to a point where it erupts the entire market in terms of sales. They even advertise this philosophy of theirs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZmIiIXuZ0

Downside of offering too many configurations and updating your phones too often forcing massive price fluctuations is of course lower profits and financial performance (as has happened with the Missed earnings). Who will buy a 300 dollar smart-watch when 6 months after you buy it the company execs say that it wasnt good and we are doing an overhaul in Feb?

This may be a bone of contention amongst us forum members but i seriously doubt apple really cares. They werent the PIONEER risk takers in tablets, in fact they waited till quite a few were around before comming around on the Ipad. Apple is more interested in seeing where the market is headed and then looking at their available technology and using it to make devices for that market which come off as HOMERUNS and really light the market on fire. So yes SAMSUNG is the pioneer of the PHABLET market with its NOTE family, and apple would have definitly looked at where Samsung, Nokia and others are taking this market, but apple's response to this market (if they do one) would be their version of what they think a product in this space should look like and if previous track record is anything to go by, then they should do very well and be pretty much market-makers in terms of redefining the size and scope of the phablet niche. Same with iWatch and wearable..Peblle, Nike, Samsung are all their and I am sure Apple is looking at what they have to offer..

Qualcomm only makes the chip for one variant of the S4. Samsung makes it for 2 other S4 variants. I believe Samsung makes all the components for the S4.

So basically what your saying is that Apple will enter markets once they are already established. Which is essentially what I already said. I see no issue with that. Bring a 4.8" iPhone to market when said market is healthy and growing. At the same time there has been a window where consumers will opt for the competition because you don't offer such a feature. In this case a screen larger than 4".

I don't think Samsung has a problem with 'massive price fluctuations'. Their approach, for now, is to offer a smartphone in any size you can imagine and see how the consumer reacts to said choices.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Tim Cook is a great man and leader, but has a flaw that is hurting Apple. He does not have a poker face, and he need one.

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN

Read the interview they just did where they talked about why iOS and OS X haven't converged. I see this whole thing as a calculated attempt to put a stake in the ground and lay out their vision and why Microsoft is wrong with the "one experience on all your devices" mantra. They're using the media coverage as a way to market this.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
They're so giddy in this interview it makes me wonder if they just read their Q1 earnings report :)

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Tim Cook is a great man and leader, but has a flaw that is hurting Apple. He does not have a poker face, and he need one.

Great must not mean the same thing to me as it does for you. Tim Cook is a CEO of a corporation .. not sure that entitles him to 'great' status.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Qualcomm only makes the chip for one variant of the S4. Samsung makes it for 2 other S4 variants. I believe Samsung makes all the components for the S4.

What difference does it make? How is this not rellying on an external chip supplier? Even the Galaxy Note 3 has the Snapdragon 800. Samsung is not exclusivly using its own chipsets and that dependency still exists and will even for their GS5...In fact the entire need to have 3 different models defeats me..i can understand heavy and LITE model but to have 2-3 different chips is absurd. I think MOST OF COMPONENTS is rather stretching it as the SOFTWARE is probably the most important form the end user prospective.

Apple designs most of its components..For a consumer/user who designs it has a much bigger bearing on device integration and optimization then who builds it..Who builds it is a function of business strategy and economics and has abslolutely no bearing on the consumer. Apple has tight control on the ability of its processors, the software (perhaps the largest contributer to user expereience) and the overall design. The shape the A7 takes was closely based on the direction IOS is heading towards and this will continue in the future aswell. Samsung should have had an Android competitor by now considering that they are the largest mobile company in the world while apple which is much smaller interms of product lineup and sales still has its own OS even for a one device (essentialy) product line.

So basically what your saying is that Apple will enter markets once they are already established.

Depends what your definition of ESTABLISHED is. The tablet market could be called established by some before the ipad but then once the ipad I dust settled no one could really fathom what size and scope the market would eventually end up having. The Pre-Ipad market was nowhere in scope or size as the post-ipad market, and the ipad was in the sense the innovative device that set the market ablaze..Was it more risky of a gamble than the first tablet? I guess that comes down to what you or I consider as risky investments and market innovation. To each his own !

Which is essentially what I already said.

I think you tried to draw a correlation between risk and innovation with a eye on FIRST TO MARKET ability. In Business first to market is not as important as RIGHT PRODUCT FOR MARKET..If the iPhablet is launched and increases the market size for phablets by 3x the iPhablet would be that innovative product that stood out lit the market on fire. The Note or other devices may be called first to market but if that does happen (iPhablet ignites the market in terms of sales) then the iPhablet would for ever be that ONE DEVICE which would be remembered as the innovative product in the history of phablets. This is how it has always been in the business of consumer electronics. No one cares for statistics and historic facts (although samsung does deserve credit here for showing the ability of phablets) its that one market making device that earns a ton of revenue for its developer that gets all the attention! Just as the iPod did for portable music players, the iPhone did for modern touchscreen smartphones and iPad did for Tablets..None of these were first to market but all three of these are iconic devices that are considered the benchmark for all comparison in their respective product categories...

Risk is a very overrated term and often confused with inovation. Samsung would not like to take any risk whatsoever if they could manage without it. For apple not diversifying into cheaper phones could be considered a big risk going into the future..A lot of OEM's were forced to look at niche market segments and an anti-apple market strategy to combat apple's huge success with just one physical iPhone..Samsung played to its strenghts of offering large selection of phones (Apple was a ONE phone mobile company whereas samsung was an established incumbant with a diverse portfolio and infrastructure to boot)..."Apple makes One size..So We'll make 3 or even 4"..Apple makes permium smart-phones.."We'll continue to make feature phones and smartphones for all price points"...This is not RISK and INNOVATION its simply a business strategy...which is different from that of apple. Two completely different business/economic strategies for two different companies. Both are succesfull for the OEM (although samsung just posted less than stellar numbers a few days ago)...Apple has a long and consistant track record of doing a few devices and not worrying about market share..They continued with MAC despite of PC OEM's offering a long diverse product portfolio at various price points..PC market share kept on climbing..Apple did not care..and kept doing what it did well.

One must also remember that Apple is into its 7th year of Mobile phone business..So a lot of its business logistics are ramping up and being ironed out given that each subsequent year they have grown tremendously...If apple decides to diversify its product portfolio in mobile phones, the logistics would take years to fall in place...Thats just the nature of business..It takes time !

I don't think Samsung has a problem with 'massive price fluctuations'. Their approach, for now, is to offer a smartphone in any size you can imagine and see how the consumer reacts to said choices.

Which any businessman would tell you is a strategy best avoided if possible. The best business practice is to have maximum revenue from fewest possible products/devices..This creates the smallest possible logistical footprint and thereby reduces cost and increases profits. If Samsung could cut its product lineup in half and retain revenue they'd do it without blinking. Offering Choices does not = Innovation..Its simply a market strategy to maximize revenue even if that puts pressure on the bottom line in the long run... One may say that the "consumer benefits..so screw samsung's bottom line" however, as an OEM their ability to take large ammount of risk and innovate with market capturing devices may take a severe dent if their bottom line suffers because of a less than optimum bussiness strategy of increasing product portfolio to increase sales.

Price fluctuations will naturally occcur if you keep on changing things around. If someone spent 300$ on a Smartwatch in october and finds out in the media from a samsung exec that it was not very good and a referesh is comming in Feb-march then that person would damn well be pissed :) ..What value is that smartwatch going to hold? Same with Galaxy S4..Launched in april 2013..Feb 2014 we'll see a GS5 which is totally different..That GS4 is gone interms of price...This may not matter in the lower price brackets but it does to the premium consumer..You want your value to hold for some time..not take a nose dive in 10 months when something totally different comes out...This is why i think apple's 2 year external appearence refresh cycle is smart because premium products need to hold their value...Car makers do the same..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.