Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
Poster Child for Screwed up Economy

2 million a month? Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

...and people wonder why the world's economies are so screwed up!?

No one "needs" 2M/month. No one "deserves" 2M/month. Why should 2% of the people have 90% of the world's wealth? Is this person actually doing more work in one month than most people do in a lifetime of work?

It's the same with the NHL hockey players, etc. How badly does the economy have to collapse before people wake up? Or do y'all just figure the gov can simply print more of the green stuff?

Gimme a break..

Iamthinking

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
No one "needs" 2M/month. No one "deserves" 2M/month. Why should 2% of the people have 90% of the world's wealth? Is this person actually doing more work in one month than most people do in a lifetime of work?
If you were to calculate the net present value of a month of designing the original iphone or iPad

that should seriously outweigh something like a lifetime of cleaning toilets.

It sounds awful, but one of those things is in such short supply and the other is not.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Guess the Cookie Monster hasn't got that attraction to keep employees. Well not without a few million.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I'm actually surprised it was a monetary decision. I figured it was a vacation/retirement/new opportunities one and no amount would sway him.

May well have been, but who can say no to $2 million/month? Plus seeing how much everyone at apple (at least in his team) wanted him to stay could've played a part!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No, that's not more than most Fortune 500 CEOs get paid. That's only $24M/year.

I'm referring to just to salary, not bonuses or stock options. How many Fortune 500 CEO's salaries are more than $24M? Unless this $2M figure includes stock options?

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
If you were to calculate the net present value of a month of designing the original iphone or iPad

that should seriously outweigh something like a lifetime of cleaning toilets.

It sounds awful, but one of those things is in such short supply and the other is not.

Actually, I'd take a clean toilet to use over an iPAD any day! :)
These types of justifications are just BS. It takes lots of people to design an iPAD over many months. Why should all those people not be paid the same? I'm not saying every occupation should be compensated the same, but seriously, the difference is soooo far askew (beyond "seriously outwiegh") that it's going to send Capitalism into a implosion. What's the point in playing Monopoly if one player has all the money and properties? Just rolling dice and moving your piece is not that much fun.

This justification is about as lame as the old "...but I work so much harder/longer than all those other people. That's why I need more money than I could possibly spend in 10 lifetimes."

But I suppose Bob M must have to spend a small fortune "protecting" his wealth and his assets (including his family). I'll bet once he finally leaves Apple he'll be retiring to his private island somewhere --or at least will be moving to another country where they don't allow people to walk around with guns... :)

iamthinking

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Someone would be me. I said it, and you are sound biting. If you aren't going to acknowledge the entire statement then you will continue to argue a point that really isn't the at the heart of the conversation. Again, the money statement is in reference to Apple, not Mansfield, which I have said several times that he did it for the money.

Oh, and on a side note: I can't believe you are comparing a video game to a multi-Billion dollar entity

Ok.

I'm comparing the loss of goodwill and the future consequences of the loss. Both Blizzard and Apple are companies, both make products for consumers, games and electronic paraphernalia respectively.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
No, that's not more than most Fortune 500 CEOs get paid. That's only $24M/year.

The average pay for CEO's of S&P 500 companies, as of 2011, is "only" $12M.

That's the average.

Which means a lot of them are getting paid a whole lot less.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I'm referring to just to salary, not bonuses or stock options. How many Fortune 500 CEO's salaries are more than $24M? Unless this $2M figure includes stock options?

A lot. I've worked in *non*-Fortune 500 companies where CEOs made upwards of $30M/year. Various *other* C-level executives may commonly make less that $24M/year, but that's not what was being claimed.

And, yes, based on the article the $2M/month is a "package of cash and stock worth around $2 million a month".

Last edited:

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
These types of justifications are just BS.
iamthinking

Determining people's compensation through actor's free will and volition responding to the supply and demand of the market is not baloney/bull crap.

Go read Atlas Shrugged. *Spoiler alert* Robin hood economics does not make anyone better off besides the evanescent gains for looters

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
The average pay for CEO's of S&P 500 companies, as of 2011, is "only" $12M.

That's the average.

Which means a lot of them are getting paid a whole lot less.

Out of curiosity (since that doesn't match with the last set of figures I remember seeing) which 'average' is that? Median? Mean? There's a fair number of CEOs out there who take 'symbolic' $1 salaries (and then get compensated on the back end through stock).

Also, given that we're discussing a "package of cash and stock worth around $2 million a month", we can't ignore the stock aspect of the Fortune 500 CEOs' compensation.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
This is public info when you're dealing with top level executives champ. Maybe understand business a bit before you start crying about what is "nobody's business."

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/000119312508224958/d10k.htm

In all the years I've been here, I've never liked you much. Forgive me "oh great and benevolent" Jessica. I'm sure there are many things that I'm more knowledgeable than you about. We can't all know everything. And though it was wrong to say it's not our business it doesn't change the fact they can't keep much private. Lose the attitude? :)

staypuffinpc

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
economics

...and people wonder why the world's economies are so screwed up!?
How badly does the economy have to collapse before people wake up? Or do y'all just figure the gov can simply print more of the green stuff?
News flash, this has nothing to do with the government. This is a single company that believes that the value of this man to their company is such that he is worth at least that amount (and for those who didn't read carefully, it does include stock). If the company is wrong, market forces will come into play and the company will have to re-evaluate its decision. In fact, the government is probably as happy as can be and wishes that more of this were salary and less of it were stock, as that's how the government gets more of his money. The gov't doesn't have to print any extra money at all to help pay this man.

Gimme a break..
Well, since you're so willing to do it for others, why not?

Iamthinking
Really?

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Let's see. That's - 100,000 United-States-Dollars-per-work-day. Or 40,000 Double Stacker cheese burgers every day. Or an entire 110 car train load of Cheetos. Every day. Seems a bit, um, cheezy to me. Guess I'll have to make a stink as it is my business as a shareholder.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
In all the years I've been here, I've never liked you much. Forgive me "oh great and benevolent" Jessica. I'm sure there are many things that I'm more knowledgeable than you about. We can't all know everything. And though it was wrong to say it's not our business it doesn't change the fact they can't keep much private. Lose the attitude? :)

This isn't directed at you iBreatheApple

I've thought this for a while and even left for for the verge for several months until real iphone5 rumors started to creap out.

This place is angry. Every forum I go to has this tone of hate and defensiveness. Everyone attacks everyone like they have some great right to stop someone from having an opinion. All the forums are the same now. Verge, Engadget, MacRumors. It's a shame that people can't have a civil discussion without someone making it personal.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
This isn't directed at you iBreatheApple

I've thought this for a while and even left for for the verge for several months until real iphone5 rumors started to creap out.

This place is angry. Every forum I go to has this tone of hate and defensiveness. Everyone attacks everyone like they have some great right to stop someone from having an opinion. All the forums are the same now. Verge, Engadget, MacRumors. It's a shame that people can't have a civil discussion without someone making it personal.

I've always loved that MacRumors wasn't like this. It's definitely changed in the past year. Great post. :)

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
And the money is making them happy ;)

Your comment kinda contradicts itself there...

I swear noone reads anymore. I wasn't talking about Bob. I was talking about apple. Why come to a forum if you are not going to read?

The rest of my sound bit statement, funny you would only take the first line:
If it really was that bad, you do whatever you have to, to keep your talent in house. The last thing you want is 3 or 4 senior HARDWARE guys going to google/samsung/Nokia.

Clearly if Tim did nothing, he would risk a massive exodus of TALENT.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
So....

What do you guys think?

Will Apple be able to keep it together and continue to excel over the next couple of years, or are they unable to function without the personality that kept them together all these years?

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Determining people's compensation through actor's free will and volition responding to the supply and demand of the market is not baloney/bull crap.

Go read Atlas Shrugged. *Spoiler alert* Robin hood economics does not make anyone better off besides the evanescent gains for looters

Free will? Free market? Say what? Regardless of Rand's bizarro fantasies, property rights (and all rights, for that matter) are nothing but fictitious human constructs, commonly upheld by the same state Randists abhor. Bonny, please. Dont feed me that shiet.

P.S. Rand is a moron.

----------

Out of curiosity (since that doesn't match with the last set of figures I remember seeing) which 'average' is that? Median? Mean? There's a fair number of CEOs out there who take 'symbolic' $1 salaries (and then get compensated on the back end through stock).

Also, given that we're discussing a "package of cash and stock worth around $2 million a month", we can't ignore the stock aspect of the Fortune 500 CEOs' compensation.

Average is always mean. Median is never average.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.