Tim Cook Heads Back to China as Retail Presence Nearly Doubles

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Bloomberg reports that Apple CEO Tim Cook is in the midst of a return trip to China, some ten months after his last trip to meet with government and business leaders.
    The report notes that Apple has nearly doubled the number of its retail stores in China and Hong Kong since Cook's last visit, having opened five new stores for a total of 11 company-owned stores in the region.

[​IMG]
    Apple's new Wangfujing retail store in Beijing
    Cook's schedule for the remainder of his visit has not been released, although The Next Web notes that U.S. embassy Chief of Staff Jim Scuitto posted a Tweet revealing that Cook had met with U.S. ambassador Gary Locke.

There will also undoubtedly be speculation that Cook may be seeking to finalize an iPhone deal with China Mobile, the world's largest carrier and the only one of China's three major state-owned carrier to not officially offer the device. Cook had visited the carrier's headquarters in June 2011, but no deal has yet been announced amid continuing negotiations.

China Mobile is reportedly losing traction with 3G customers as rivals China Telecom and China Unicom have made inroads, with many believing that China Mobile's lack of the iPhone is a major weakness for the carrier.

Article Link: Tim Cook Heads Back to China as Retail Presence Nearly Doubles

2. yod
    macrumors newbie

A meeting at Foxconn's factory to discuss the whole "doubling down" on secrecy might help...

3. macrumors 6502

Joe-Diver

4. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

The picture of the Wangfujing retail store in Beijing is stunning.

What a store! :eek:

5. macrumors regular

gregwyattjr

I wonder why that iPad billboard is in english...

6. macrumors 65816

7. macrumors regular

Vinamra

Things money can buy! :p

8. macrumors regular

bazinga!!

9. macrumors 68020

Makes sure those Foxconn workers are being treated properly while you're there Timmy.

10. macrumors regular

Tim is there to find out what happened to his egg fried rice order. :D

11. macrumors 68000

On average, 11,000 workers are injured and 13 are killed on the job every day in America according to OSHA, and you're concerned that Tim Cook is personally making sure that Foxconn workers are being treated properly? Good grief!

12. macrumors 6502

13. macrumors 601

Prof.

Because China has more english-speaking citizens than America has citizens.

14. macrumors regular

F1 Fan

How many of those are employed by Apple or by a company which completely relies on Apple's business and are not covered by US health and safety law? He is in a position to directly impact the lives of Foxconn employees and I think he should use that position to ensure that their conditions are acceptable.

15. macrumors 6502a

SmileyBlast!

It'd be great if he could find some alternate suppliers. But more suppliers means expanding that circle of trust and More leaks. It'd be a good strategy to be able to take business away from one supplier in favor of the one who will not release Apple secrets though.

16. macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

It is a beautiful building but I don't like the giant billboard. Visually it's squishing the apple logo. The billboard (while a pretty nice version of a giant ad) seems cheezy compared to the rest of the structure.

17. macrumors 6502a

Glassed Silver

Pretty much anyone able to afford the iPad in China knows English.
    Either as mother tongue, tourist or "rich kid" (in relation to the rest of China).

Glassed Silver:mac

18. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

I wish Apple would build one of those big, iconic stores here in Orlando. I'm so jealous of Asia, Europe, and NYC. :(

19. macrumors member

since they have doubled their retail presence in China, it would be interesting to see how this has cut in to the counterfeit stores presence...?

20. macrumors 68020

I think all workers around the world deserve more than adequate working conditions. It's just that we United Statesians seem to be ok with lackluster working conditions that people in another part of the world have just so they can make products cheaper for us to use.

21. macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. AidenShaw, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

macrumors G5

AidenShaw

Am I the only one who looks at that as a failed attempt at using traditional Chinese architecture with Apple's tired "it's all glass" look, marred with a "Times Squarish" giant LED ad screen.

It's horrible. It's truly dreadful. Apple has lost its way....

The night shot is kind of cool though - since all the other crap disappears.

23. macrumors 6502a

The counterfeit stores were selling grey market goods... I'm sure there are still plenty of them. With billion consumers (even if only 10% can afford Apple goods) there are still not enough stores to service them all.

BTW, my local Costco was selling grey market Apple MacBooks!!!

24. macrumors newbie

I was there in december when they were still setting up. Don't mind the slanted photos - those were random hip shots and my hands were freezing off :p

To be honest I didn't recognize the 'official' photo until I read 'wangfujing'.

----------

and oh. there's a samsung billboard right across the road. if you look at the night shot carefully you'll see the reflection of SAMSUNG on the right side of the photo. lol.

25. AidenShaw, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

macrumors G5

AidenShaw

...more evidence that Apple has lost its way.

Apple has to build a bigger, flashier store across the street from Samsung?