Tim Cook Highlights 'Magical' iPad Doo-Wop Duet Between Billy Joel and Jimmy Fallon

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last night on The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon, Billy Joel joined the talk show host in a doo-wop video so entertaining that it was singled out by Tim Cook on Twitter.
    The featured iPad app is Loopy HD [Direct Link], which allows you to create music by layering loops that you record yourself. Fallon and Joel sang The Lion Sleeps Tonight, a song made popular in the 1960s by doo-wop group The Tokens. The pair sang different parts of the song in an amusing exchange that features a solo by Fallon and the always powerful vocals of Joel.

This isn't the first time the musical aspect of the iPad has taken center stage on Fallon's talk shows. In a 2010 Late Night With Jimmy Fallon episode that aired shortly after the original iPad was launched, Fallon invited English New Wave band Squeeze to the stage, with keyboardist Stephen Large splitting his performance between a Roland VK-8 and an iPad.

Article Link: Tim Cook Highlights 'Magical' iPad Doo-Wop Duet Between Billy Joel and Jimmy Fallon

2. macrumors regular

Apple has this while Samsung has to pay for celebrities to use their products rather unwillingly…

3. macrumors 6502a

Thats just awesome!

4. macrumors regular

Fantastic product placement!

5. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

As I read the title, I started doubting my sanity and whether or not I was dreaming.

6. macrumors newbie

TonikGR

Agree, this makes for a more powerful way of raising awareness and promoting a product. Have it used by people. The way they sing the song is also pretty awesome :)

7. macrumors newbie

Fantastic ! Great ad for iPad.

8. macrumors 68040

acearchie

In essence I think that this was Steve’s big passion for Apple products.

Something that is so simple that you can essentially pick it up and create a really intimate and engaging moment without any complexities.

Great video!

9. macrumors regular

After being instructed to cover up the Apple logo on his laptop, I'm surprised he wasn't told to say 'tablet device' instead of iPad :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 6502

vsighi

...I am crying :eek:

11. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

I wonder if Fallon is endorse by Apple, he's been using macbook since late night.

12. macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

:D this was too fun.

13. SvP
    macrumors 6502

If i was one of the developers of this app, i'd still be bouncing thru the streets.

14. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Ha! That was pretty good.

15. macrumors 6502

Love Fallon!

16. Nunyabinez, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

macrumors 6502a

Nunyabinez

You mean to pretend to use their products while actually using Apple products, ala David Beckham and Oprah.

17. macrumors 68020

Solomani

Cook's right. The performance is magical. I'm rarely entertained by late night talk shows, but this was a gem.

----------

aka The Good Jimmy.

As opposed to The Evil Jimmy? (aka Leno's Trash-talking Nemesis)

18. macrumors 6502a

Nunyabinez

Love him or hate him, you have to admit that Jimmy Fallon genuinely looks like he's having the time of his life what ever he does on his show.

I caught myself smiling big during this little clip. That's awesome.

19. macrumors 6502a

user418

Sweeeeeeet!!! Fallon is actually turning out to be a better host than I anticipated. Really enjoyed the clip.

20. macrumors member

That was awesome. I also found myself smiling and actually singing along by the end.

And it may just have sold me on the app (for my kids, of course...)

As was said above, this is the difference between iOS and Android - the iOS interface just gets out of the way and allows the magic to happen.

21. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

Forget apple the developer has the biggest smile lol

22. macrumors member

The great part? More ppl will see this and actually enjoy it than the crappy Samsung ad attacking apple. Try some positive marketing next time.

23. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Indeed, I suspect sales are going through the roof at this point - you can't buy this type of attention.

24. macrumors regular

thats very true. and celebrity guest that give compliments about Fallon say the same thing.

25. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

I have a friend who's a music teacher at her school and was really inspired by this. Hopefully, her school can provide her with an iPad to try with students.