Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gwonam

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
The people here that complain about Apple, I'd like for you to list another company that innovates more. Your choice of company(s) better have multiple inventions.

Tesla Motors. Apple is still great, but I don't predict much in the future.

----------

Add to that Intel and NVIDIA.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
In 1998, Steve Jobs created the iMac as the product that revived Apple from the dead. There wasn't much too the original iMac over existing Macs. It sold better than the existing Macs because of the clean, simple all-in-one design. As a further consequence of great sales, the iMac turned people's attention towards Apple.

I think Apple has a similar opportunity in the TV industry. Imagine an all in one TV with the functionality of an Apple TV, a cablecard to access live tv, a DVR that could store content on a NAS or time capsule, a razor thin screen, and a built in sound bar. A product like that would do to the TV industry what the iMac did to the PC industry, namely, combining tons of functionality in a powerful, clean, modern system.

Gwonam

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
In 1998, Steve Jobs created the iMac as the product that revived Apple from the dead. There wasn't much too the original iMac over existing Macs. It sold better than the existing Macs because of the clean, simple all-in-one design. As a further consequence of great sales, the iMac turned people's attention towards Apple.

I think Apple has a similar opportunity in the TV industry. Imagine an all in one TV with the functionality of an Apple TV, a cablecard to access live tv, a DVR that could store content on a NAS or time capsule, a razor thin screen, and a built in sound bar. A product like that would do to the TV industry what the iMac did to the PC industry, namely, combining tons of functionality in a powerful, clean, modern system.

The Apple TV has already replaced the stupid cable box for me. 100X as simple and convenient. All it needs is an App Store; I hope Apple has been keeping us waiting all this time so they can make the developer tools for it!

As for the Apple TV set, I don't see anything wrong with using my Apple TV with my Samsung screen other than the Samsung not having buttons… assuming Apple would put buttons on their TV set.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Those computers cost more and don't have OS X. They also lack Thunderbolt.

Your definition of working must be different from most. If it's possible to scan a finger print I suppose that's technically working but I think most people would only classify a scanner as working if it scans successfully most of the time on the first try.

Of course they don't have OSX, they're not made by Apple. Apple spent a lot of time engineering a workhorse product to be small and compact in an market where that isn't much of a factor. It is a great piece of engineering, no doubt. And more so when you look inside. Very well made, a lot of wow factor. But why, just to be different? I'll make a guess that the other companies won't be copying this design. Thunderbolt is quite impressive too. I'll guess again and say that it's not going to be popular, especially on computers aimed at general consumers. No knocks on the Mac Pro, but if it was the exact same specs and performance in a traditional chassis, it wouldn't have created much of a stir, IMO.

Are you familiar with biometric gun safes? Biometric safes? Finger print scanners on time clocks? Biometric security systems? Your experience with fingerprint scanners must be limited to the iPhone? There's a whole industry out there that has nothing to do with phones and existed long before Apple thought of putting it on a phone. The notion that Apple is the first company to have a working fingerprint scanner is amusing.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Of course they don't have OSX, they're not made by Apple. Apple spent a lot of time engineering a workhorse product to be small and compact in an market where that isn't much of a factor. It is a great piece of engineering, no doubt. And more so when you look inside. Very well made, a lot of wow factor. But why, just to be different? I'll make a guess that the other companies won't be copying this design. Thunderbolt is quite impressive too. I'll guess again and say that it's not going to be popular, especially on computers aimed at general consumers. No knocks on the Mac Pro, but if it was the exact same specs and performance in a traditional chassis, it wouldn't have created much of a stir, IMO.

I think it's great that they've taken a different approach. Why? Just because they can. The size aspect makes it stand out, the internals have - as you say - a lot of wow factor. And I agree, other companies most likely will not copy this design, it's a limited market and it's probably just not worth going into mass production but it doesn't always need to be mainstream stencils for the entire industry like the iPod, iPhone or iPad to make for an innovative and original idea and company. Looking at the current desktop PCs I'm glad that Apple are doing something different.

In general the entire "we are waiting for the next big thing!" mindset is a waste of time imho. Things are moving on constantly, take the iPad 1, compare it to the iPad Air, there are worlds between the tech and design that has been packed into both. That's the stuff I enjoy seeing, not devices like watches or glasses which have been perceived extremely controversial so far anyway...

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005

Are you familiar with biometric gun safes? Biometric safes? Finger print scanners on time clocks? Biometric security systems? Your experience with fingerprint scanners must be limited to the iPhone? There's a whole industry out there that has nothing to do with phones and existed long before Apple thought of putting it on a phone. The notion that Apple is the first company to have a working fingerprint scanner is amusing.
Mac Pro
Your right no stir if the Mac Pro had a simple chassis and sounded like a plane turbine.....

Print scan tech:

I am familiar with those clocks they are huge and have very big sensors, and are single purpose devices, and tend to read all 5 of your prints in a station(not mobile) hard to compare to the 5s sensor..... Safes with print scanners same concept. And also consider the fact of cost for those single use devices. Also keep in mind the iPhone now has the ability to become the "key" for all these systems(iWatch ur key to everything)

64bit PHONE:
Yes plenty of 64 bit arm processors out there inside servers again I've had 64bit in my computer for years as we'll not really a comparison now is it? These have cooling systems and fans and I've tried but the do not fit in a pocket. 20 years ago there were super computers capable of what the iPhone does today, but they were not as functional. Also other chip makers haven't even hinted at when they'll be making their chips 64 bit... They were too busy making more cores 12core snap dragon coming soon to a note near u same performance 12x the battery drain lol

SIRI:
Voice recognition has be around for sometime but Siri sets it self apart, by being conversational, and learning and not straining your local resources, it's not 100% accurate but the more I use it the better it gets! and new functionality is added every year. Can't argue against now as I've only tried the app I'm sure it's great and most reviews have both on a neck to neck draw. Still apple was first to it and did it we'll enough that my 4s today my roommates 4s responds to all his queries in fast and we'll arranged manner. And does most of what my 5s does just slower, will google now run natively not as an app on phones released 2-3 years ago??

Yes all this stuff has been around for a while I've seen computers with print scanners I have one, some one gave me a toshiba laptop that has one and it was never used not by me or the person who bought the machine, yet that same person now uses his 5s scanner everyday, to unlock and purchase and future possibilities are endless.

You guys seem to have trouble keeping things within a scope in this forum, there have always been cars, heck there have been hybrids for some time, does that void the innovation of the tesla?

It's not about making stuff, and putting gimmick features in a product, it's about making something people actually use, airdrop is useful and I don't even have to bump fists to make things transfer, it works on last year devices!!!

I had a friend tell me how he prefers his "airplay" on the s4(yes he called it airplay lol) because he didn't need an extra device(apple tv) to make it work, so I invited him over one day I own tvs built about 3-4 years ago no buit in wifi 1 samsung 2 legs and I asked him to "airplay" to those, he tried failed.
So I explained u had to buy a whole tv to airplay ur media, I spent 400 bucks and now all my tvs are internet connected devices that fit perfectly with all my and my families devices.

There is no environment like apples walled garden, tied together by icloud and iTunes, covering all my needs for work and play, and there are issues and limitations and sometimes things break and stop working. Like any tech but MOST of the time it works flawlessly, with out a glitch.

Haters can hate but apple has put out some of the best and most well implemented tech of the las 10 years and no one can take that away. They try they copy and they trash, but no one has matched the functionality of this environment. There might be better phones and better tablets and a better tv/living room solution. But for the complete solution there is no match to what apple offers.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Mac Pro
Your right no stir if the Mac Pro had a simple chassis and sounded like a plane turbine.....

Print scan tech:

I am familiar with those clocks they are huge and have very big sensors, and are single purpose devices, and tend to read all 5 of your prints in a station(not mobile) hard to compare to the 5s sensor..... Safes with print scanners same concept. And also consider the fact of cost for those single use devices. Also keep in mind the iPhone now has the ability to become the "key" for all these systems(iWatch ur key to everything)

64bit PHONE:
Yes plenty of 64 bit arm processors out there inside servers again I've had 64bit in my computer for years as we'll not really a comparison now is it? These have cooling systems and fans and I've tried but the do not fit in a pocket. 20 years ago there were super computers capable of what the iPhone does today, but they were not as functional. Also other chip makers haven't even hinted at when they'll be making their chips 64 bit... They were too busy making more cores 12core snap dragon coming soon to a note near u same performance 12x the battery drain lol

SIRI:
Voice recognition has be around for sometime but Siri sets it self apart, by being conversational, and learning and not straining your local resources, it's not 100% accurate but the more I use it the better it gets! and new functionality is added every year. Can't argue against now as I've only tried the app I'm sure it's great and most reviews have both on a neck to neck draw. Still apple was first to it and did it we'll enough that my 4s today my roommates 4s responds to all his queries in fast and we'll arranged manner. And does most of what my 5s does just slower, will google now run natively not as an app on phones released 2-3 years ago??

Yes all this stuff has been around for a while I've seen computers with print scanners I have one, some one gave me a toshiba laptop that has one and it was never used not by me or the person who bought the machine, yet that same person now uses his 5s scanner everyday, to unlock and purchase and future possibilities are endless.

You guys seem to have trouble keeping things within a scope in this forum, there have always been cars, heck there have been hybrids for some time, does that void the innovation of the tesla?

It's not about making stuff, and putting gimmick features in a product, it's about making something people actually use, airdrop is useful and I don't even have to bump fists to make things transfer, it works on last year devices!!!

I had a friend tell me how he prefers his "airplay" on the s4(yes he called it airplay lol) because he didn't need an extra device(apple tv) to make it work, so I invited him over one day I own tvs built about 3-4 years ago no buit in wifi 1 samsung 2 legs and I asked him to "airplay" to those, he tried failed.
So I explained u had to buy a whole tv to airplay ur media, I spent 400 bucks and now all my tvs are internet connected devices that fit perfectly with all my and my families devices.

There is no environment like apples walled garden, tied together by icloud and iTunes, covering all my needs for work and play, and there are issues and limitations and sometimes things break and stop working. Like any tech but MOST of the time it works flawlessly, with out a glitch.

Haters can hate but apple has put out some of the best and most well implemented tech of the las 10 years and no one can take that away. They try they copy and they trash, but no one has matched the functionality of this environment. There might be better phones and better tablets and a better tv/living room solution. But for the complete solution there is no match to what apple offers.

My comments on the fingerprint scanner was in response to a user here who claimed that Apple made the first usable fingerprint scanner, and that is not true. My point is, there have been fingerprint scanners in use in other areas for many years.

Siri is not groundbreaking, IMO. I find it basically error filled and for the most part a seldom used gimmick. Apple has some very good tech, and so do several other companies.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Apple is still the company that everyone else is following, until this is not changed, Apple is still an innovation company.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Mac Pro
Print scan tech:
64bit PHONE:
SIRI:
Simple evolutions of what was done before, and mostly bought or off the shelve from other companies.

Apple has made some of the best tech out there in the last years yes, but always in small step evolution and nothing really that mind boggling innovative. The eco system is a nice example but lets not forget most of this is just to keep you in the garden, not to enhance the expierence plenty of examples for that.

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
My comments on the fingerprint scanner was in response to a user here who claimed that Apple made the first usable fingerprint scanner, and that is not true. My point is, there have been fingerprint scanners in use in other areas for many years.

Siri is not groundbreaking, IMO. I find it basically error filled and for the most part a seldom used gimmick. Apple has some very good tech, and so do several other companies.

There was also "smartphones" before the iPhone..... And electric cars before the tesla, you see my point. As another poster put it finger print technology was at most a niche apple made it usable, I could make calls before the iPhone also, as u say ppl had finger print scanners before as well, so what's your point?

It is in fact the first usable scanner put in a phone and it is the first scanner ppl actually use in consumer electronics. It's like saying it's not innovating to make a laptop as mobile as the air with a battery that last 12 hours because company x made one with a 12 hour 22 pound battery. Comparing apples to oranges is not a good argument. In a thread about iPhones if I say apple was the first to bring 64 bit to the market it's senseless to argue arm has 64 bit servers out since 2011. Keeping information in context is essential to the discussion.

Take square for example is it not innovation because card reader existed since the 1980s?

As for Siri you should know that if you correct her for 1 week the errors start to go away and that lives on from device to device today I can speak to Siri in a noise filled room with minimal errors she has very nice learning curve. If u use it once and never do again she'll never learn and some use more than others, like multitouch on the track pads it's something u need to tell ur self to use for the first few month but that become second nature very fast, change is tough but with time anything less isn't good enough, and not all functions are useful for everyone. I for one use Siri differently then my brother and for opposite command and such but we both use it almost daily.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I think it's great that they've taken a different approach. Why? Just because they can. The size aspect makes it stand out, the internals have - as you say - a lot of wow factor. And I agree, other companies most likely will not copy this design, it's a limited market and it's probably just not worth going into mass production but it doesn't always need to be mainstream stencils for the entire industry like the iPod, iPhone or iPad to make for an innovative and original idea and company. Looking at the current desktop PCs I'm glad that Apple are doing something different.

In general the entire "we are waiting for the next big thing!" mindset is a waste of time imho. Things are moving on constantly, take the iPad 1, compare it to the iPad Air, there are worlds between the tech and design that has been packed into both. That's the stuff I enjoy seeing, not devices like watches or glasses which have been perceived extremely controversial so far anyway...

Agreed, waiting for the next big thing is a waste of time. We can enjoy what we have now. Excellent point about the evolution of the iPad. The Air is a world apart from the original. The workmanship in the new Mac Pro is quite impressive. It may be a Halo product for Apple, not one where they are going to make a lot of money, but it's there to show what they can do.

Believe it or not, I really would like to see what Apple could do with a watch. That's a product I won't judge on it's usefulness until I see it. I really haven't followed the Google Glass at all, but maybe the tech will end up getting used somewhere else on something entirely different. Someone may come up with something great from some of these things that we consider silly right now, who knows?

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010

This a workstation not a simple desktop PC.

Intel nuc has been around for year and is tiny as desktop.

Companys either have extensive service contracts (which to my knowledge apple doesnt offer) or people who fix any problems. Neither of these can work with this.

So most likely this is for 'look what I can buy and show off at my desk' market. New startups who want to be cool or PR companies that are now hunched over there macbook pro's instead of getting something decent (and ergonomic)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
There was also "smartphones" before the iPhone..... And electric cars before the tesla, you see my point. As another poster put it finger print technology was at most a niche apple made it usable, I could make calls before the iPhone also, as u say ppl had finger print scanners before as well, so what's your point?

It is in fact the first usable scanner put in a phone and it is the first scanner ppl actually use in consumer electronics. It's like saying it's not innovating to make a laptop as mobile as the air with a battery that last 12 hours because company x made one with a 12 hour 22 pound battery. Comparing apples to oranges is not a good argument. In a thread about iPhones if I say apple was the first to bring 64 bit to the market it's senseless to argue arm has 64 bit servers out since 2011. Keeping information in context is essential to the discussion.

Take square for example is it not innovation because card reader existed since the 1980s?

As for Siri you should know that if you correct her for 1 week the errors start to go away and that lives on from device to device today I can speak to Siri in a noise filled room with minimal errors she has very nice learning curve. If u use it once and never do again she'll never learn and some use more than others, like multitouch on the track pads it's something u need to tell ur self to use for the first few month but that become second nature very fast, change is tough but with time anything less isn't good enough, and not all functions are useful for everyone. I for one use Siri differently then my brother and for opposite command and such but we both use it almost daily.

My point was it was a false claim that no one ever made a usable fingerprint scanner before Apple.The person I replied to was not saying that it was the first fingerprint scanner in a phone, he said it was the first working scanner period. False statement. It had nothing to do with saying Apple didn't innovate or put it into mainstream use.

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Tim Cook: Innovation 'Deeply Embedded' In Apple, Company Has 'No Issue' Comin...

Simple evolutions of what was done before, and mostly bought or off the shelve from other companies.

Apple has made some of the best tech out there in the last years yes, but always in small step evolution and nothing really that mind boggling innovative. The eco system is a nice example but lets not forget most of this is just to keep you in the garden, not to enhance the expierence plenty of examples for that.

There's nothing like the Mac Pro out there, and all computers are built with other companies "off the shelf" parts so what's ur point? They used intel processors ? So for a revolutionary computer they should design a new processor tech In house?

Siri's voice recognition was bought, but the implementation and the end product is a world away from that simple voice recognition element.

Print scanner tech was bought but the way it interacts and becomes blends in to the iPhone interface and design was perfected by apple.

The Eco system keeps me in yes but why would I want out it gives me the best experience across all my devices and provides me with all the resources I need to function. Did google engineer and make the NFC tech built in to their phones? Or the late chips they used as propaganda to make android sound grown up? It's all in the implementation and making elements work together. The elements them selves fall into and complete device, and the device is judged by the user not the components of each feature but the end product and today on the market nothing is as complete as the I family from routers to tv to computer phones and pads. The Eco system works better in the walled garden regardless of the reason why it was built.

----------

My point was it was a false claim that no one ever made a usable fingerprint scanner before Apple.The person I replied to was not saying that it was the first fingerprint scanner in a phone, he said it was the first working scanner period. False statement. It had nothing to do with saying Apple didn't innovate or put it into mainstream use.

So he should have told you he was talking about consumer electronics in a consumer electronics forum? Common sense is lost in this forum, it's like a post somewhere here that claims apple is not the first out with 64 bit arm, I imagine he meant the server chips out there, that takes this thread wayyyy out of context..... U know context, that thing that when in a conversation u assume that the topic of the conversation is implied by the main idea or theme of the entire thread.... Where saying it's the fastest is assumed to be the fastest phone not the fastest jet airplane

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Or completely revamped, like the Mac Pro. It's not a new "product category" but the entire concept to me is something that shows Apple at it's best.

It's off the shelf computer chips, not even the latest fierten into a different shaped case.

You are easily pleased.

If Apple actually made their own CPU or gpu then perhaps, or their own memory
They have just taken off the shelf items make by other people, not the best graphics either and put them in a odd shaped case with a thru flow cooling fan.

That's it.

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Tim Cook: Innovation 'Deeply Embedded' In Apple, Company Has 'No Issue' Comin...

It's off the shelf computer chips, not even the latest fierten into a different shaped case.

You are easily pleased.

If Apple actually made their own CPU or gpu then perhaps, or their own memory

They have just taken off the shelf items make by other people, not the best graphics either and put them in a odd shaped case with a thru flow cooling fan.

That's it.

First share the joint I'm out second only in your fantasy land does a computer manufacturer make their own chips to manufacture a computer and single component bench marks mean very little take a stroll to anandtech and read their review of the mac to see that it's the whole implementation that counts not the components in the machine that make a difference, the hardware working together with other hardware components as well as software.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
So he should have told you he was talking about consumer electronics in a consumer electronics forum? Common sense is lost in this forum, it's like a post somewhere here that claims apple is not the first out with 64 bit arm, I imagine he meant the server chips out there, that takes this thread wayyyy out of context..... U know context, that thing that when in a conversation u assume that the topic of the conversation is implied by the main idea or theme of the entire thread.... Where saying it's the fastest is assumed to be the fastest phone not the fastest jet airplane

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
I'm done with the subject. I can't explain it any more clearly, I'm sorry you missed my point.

I'm sorry but I think u missed the point of this whole thread heck this whole forum when u started comparing the iPhone touch sensor to a biometric safe.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'm sorry but I think u missed the point of this whole thread heck this whole forum when u started comparing the iPhone touch sensor to a biometric safe.

That's not what I compared it to and you know it. I'm discussing this in a friendly way while you feel the need to be antagonistic. Enjoy.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
There's nothing like the Mac Pro out there,
So?

Antec had that skeleton case, nothing out there before and after they made it.

Its a small form factor workstation. Nice but for a consumer oriented company that to make this had virtually withdraw from the pro market its just an nice feat of engineering.

and all computers are built with other companies "off the shelf" parts so what's ur point? They used intel processors ?
So for a revolutionary computer they should design a new processor tech In house?
To be innovative they should actually make a product that causes an evolution .

I dont see why an imac thats a couple of % thinner then other aio's should be called innovative .

Siri's voice recognition was bought, but the implementation and the end product is a world away from that simple voice recognition element.
And no different from what others had done or are doing.

Its also not very usefull, tried to use but didnt really find anything were it would be usefull for me.

Print scanner tech was bought but the way it interacts and becomes blends in to the iPhone interface and design was perfected by apple.
yeah I disagree but thats usualy personal

The Eco system keeps me in yes but why would I want out it gives me the best experience across all my devices and provides me with all the resources I need to function.
Did google engineer and make the NFC tech built in to their phones? Or the late chips they used as propaganda to make android sound grown up?
It's all in the implementation and making elements work together.
The elements them selves fall into and complete device, and the device is judged by the user not the components of each feature but the end product and today on the market
nothing is as complete as the I family from routers to tv to computer phones and pads.
The Eco system works better in the walled garden regardless of the reason why it was built.

I still prefer my non walled macbook for general computing then my ipad/iphone.

And dont take this personal, I never said anything about google/android or nexus .

But if you do mention them what I would like to see is apple think more in the lines of google glass/smartwatches. And not in the lines of "what do we need to do to shave another mm of the imac/ipad/mac pro" or
"lets rework the ios style again"

You are correct usage is the measuring element, and a smaller form factor workstation doenst give me any other usage neither does the thinner imac. On the contrary my previous imac I was able to fix outside warranty, with the new thats virtually impossible.

And no thats not a coincidence.

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005

2nd paragraph I'm not being antagonistic I rarely comment here, this was ur original post. Notice the second paragraph it's one of the weird comparisons u made. I'm not making it up. I pointed out that u went off topic and way wayyyyy out of the scope of the conversation and u accused ME of misunderstanding a point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.