Tim Cook Meets with China Mobile to Discuss 'Cooperation', Shares Thoughts on Chinese Markets

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As speculated following his arrival in China earlier this week, Apple CEO Tim Cook has met with representatives of China Mobile, the world's largest carrier. Reuters notes that the two sides discussed "cooperation", but no additional information on the status of long-running negotiations over the iPhone have been revealed.
    [​IMG]
    Tim Cook meeting with China's Minister of Industry and Information Technology Miao Wei earlier this week (Source: MIIT)
    Cook also sat down with Sina Technology for an exclusive interview [Google translation] in which he touched on a number of topics. Notably, Cook shared that although this was his second visit to China as CEO of Apple, he has visited China numerous times since 1996 and he has observed tremendous changes over that time.

Cook also highlighted Apple's efforts to raise its profile in China, reiterating plans to grow its retail presence from the current 11 stores in Greater China to at least 25 locations. Apple is also working to speed up the approval process for Apple products in China, moves which would allow product launches in China to occur closer to the first waves that generally include the United States and perhaps 5-10 other countries.

As he has in several other settings, Cook skirted discussion of Apple's plans for the television market, noting that he uses and loves the current Apple TV set-top box but that the market does not yet offer similar potential to the smartphone market. As he usually does when confronted with questions about television, Cook shared only that Apple remains very interested in the market and acknowledged that he can not discuss any future plans for the company.

Article Link: Tim Cook Meets with China Mobile to Discuss 'Cooperation', Shares Thoughts on Chinese Markets

2. macrumors 68040

tigres

Did Steve dress in a suit during such meet ups?
    I don't recall.

3. macrumors 65816

impulse462

Seems as if China Mobile wants to control more and more of the deal, before they start selling iPhones.

4. macrumors 65816

JaySoul

Let's hope Cook can takeaway some good fortune from China.

5. macrumors 6502

Probably not? He wore suits when he was younger, at the red carpet (for some Pixar premiers I think), and at courts.

At least when he went to that meal with Obama and a bunch of other people, he was in the jeans/turtleneck.

6. macrumors 68000

I'm glad apple is sticking to their guns here

7. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

1.3 billion people....

8. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

Best Tim Cook translation in the article:

9. macrumors member

ArchAndroid

Tim could've at least hooked the transcribers up with a pair of iPads, :eek:.

10. macrumors 68000

Does it matter? Cook is not Steve.

11. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

with all of that money, you would think he could buy nice dress shoes

12. macrumors regular

My initial impression is that China Mobile is not willing to settle with Apple's typical high cut of the profits and now Cook is targeting the government officials to exert influence from above.

13. macrumors 6502

No, but he did have his dress mock-tee, finest jeans and clean New Balanced reserved for just such occasions :)

14. macrumors newbie

Nice chairs!

15. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

I'm sure this too will drive down the stock. Any positive progress seems to drive the stock lower. :rolleyes:

16. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Clearly, the most important point of the article. Essential issues...

Forrest...trees...

Oh well...:rolleyes:

17. macrumors 68030

needfx

The way they are seated is so chinese

18. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

China Mobile is just holding out for a lower price. They want the iPhone but don't want to pay Apple's high markup for it.

19. macrumors G3

puckhead193

that's what I was thinking... I wonder who makes them?

20. macrumors regular

LCD is too small

iPhone screen is too small to display Chinese fonts :apple:

21. macrumors 6502

Words cant express how uncomfortable I would feel sitting in that seat...my nightmare :/

22. macrumors newbie

Legs?

Why does Tim Cook cross his legs like a girl? He'd have more negotiating power if he came across more masculine and dominant.

23. macrumors 68030

needfx

The other guy is girly too with his knees put together

24. macrumors G5

Rogifan

25. macrumors regular

Acting like a girl is the right way to do. If he acts like a strong man, he won't get a deal with Chinese Communist Party.