Tim Cook Publishes Open Letter on Maps for iOS 6

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 28, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple CEO Tim Cook has published an open letter to customers on the company's website addressing the criticism over the new Apple-powered Maps app in iOS 6. In the letter, Cook apologizes for not meeting expectations and mentions a number of alternative mapping solutions customers may wish to use while Apple is refining its Maps.
    AppShopper also lists a list of both free and paid alternatives to Apple Maps.

Article Link: Tim Cook Publishes Open Letter on Maps for iOS 6

2. macrumors G5

yg17

Cliffs notes: Our maps suck, use a competitor's product.

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 6502a

Are you sure, Tim?

5. macrumors 68020

Yikes! You know things are bad when Tim Cook is recommending BING!

6. macrumors 68000

7. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

So he didn’t realise that Maps weren’t up to Apple’s high standards before releasing them?

8. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Great first step, to acknowledge a problem. Although I'm 100% sure they knew about this already.

9. macrumors 68030

Lets be real. Maps is "ok" now, but give it about 6 months and its going to be all you use. I personally use it a lot and have never had an issue with it.

10. macrumors 68000

Where is the apology regarding the paint chipping off the back like it's a cheap, made-in-China toy.

...oh wait...

11. macrumors 68000

lamina

Interesting now he recommended we use Microsoft's, Google's and Nokia's maps. They're in lawsuits with all of them right now.

12. macrumors member

Don't know how "sincere" this apology really is, especially consdering Apple knew about the poor Maps app when iOS6 beta was released and people were complaining up and down.

Apple is just trying to wipe off the tremendous amount of egg from their face when it comes to this issue...but I think it's going to take more than an apology to fix this.

13. Administrator

blakespot

No need to apologize to me, Tim.

I've said it on twitter and I'll say it again: I have had better experience with Apple's new Maps app on iOS 6 / iPhone 5 in the last week than any other time using a GPS prior.

I am new to turn-by-turn directions, late to the party - yes, but I put it to good use in Maps on iOS 6, driving through DC and into MD and it felt like magic. Truly.

Maps on iOS 6 is one of my favorite new features.

That's my experience.

bp

14. macrumors G3

Geckotek

I love Waze. :D

That being said, I think having over 100 Million users out of the box means this product will be improved quickly. More quickly than Siri since it's used more often.

15. macrumors regular

I dunno. Have you used the Podcasts App yet?

16. macrumors 6502a

Don't think you understand the situation. The maps were expiring in a year. Apple took the risk of releasing their maps a year before Google Maps expired because they would have a year of user based data to improve their maps. They did it so they could get the issues out of the way earlier than later. If they waited until next year when Google Maps expired, they would have had to add Apple Maps anyway. The Maps are fine the only thing not fine are the POI and incorrect data, the best way to improve that is user input.

17. macrumors 6502

This is pathetic. What an error of judgement.

18. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Very impressed that they suggest/name competitors/alternatives. Good honesty there.

19. macrumors 65816

Maps aren't even that bad, they're actually quite good in most cases. People need to calm down.

20. macrumors newbie

Too much?

Isn't that self criticism a bit to harsh? I actually love using Apple maps as it works much faster on my 3GS and the results in Germany are at least up to Google maps...

21. macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

Whoa...

This does not even sound anything at all like what Apple would say .... I honestly do not believe what I have just read. This is very concerning ... very unApple like - and honestly - not something I would think even a bad PR Intern would draft up .... They should recognize this issues/concerns and advise customers they are hard at work - with some high level dot points on the key items they are working on ...

22. macrumors 603

so far they haven't gotten me lost. and i use them for navigation

23. macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

24. macrumors 6502a

Apple Maps is to Replacement Refs as Google Maps is to Professional Refs.

At least the NFL came to its senses.

25. macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Asking us to use other apps for the time being? It just doesn't seem right for a company like that to say such a thing.

Of course it's understandable to say that but with Apple being Apple, you want customers to not want to choose alternatives over what apple has made.

But now that I think about it, it's the same as Apples headphones. They are there to purchase and use along with the Apple products but they have other headphones from different companies to choose from also if you don't like Apple's headphones.

But it really shows that he knows that Apple Map sucks and is asking time.