Tim Cook Says Apple Working on 'Some Really Great Stuff' in New Product Categories

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple will launch products in new categories and the company is working on "really great stuff", according to an interview with CEO Tim Cook in The Wall Street Journal this evening.

He demurred when asked about specific possible products, but said anyone "reasonable" would consider Apple's upcoming products to be in new categories.

Cook has said on prior occasions that new product categories are coming for Apple in 2014 and, with this interview, he is likely looking to encourage spooked investors that Apple is still focused on growth.

Cook said in the interview that Apple remains a "growth company" and has significant opportunities in existing products as well as new ones. In addition, Apple strives to be the number one smartphone, tablet, and computer maker in the world.
    Apple executives have repeatedly said that they are only interested in making the best products in the world, not generating revenue for revenue's sake. Tim Cook has previously said that Apple is "focused on making great products that enrich lives" and that the company is "deeply committed to doing this and maniacally focused on it." He said last month that innovation is "deeply embedded" at the company and that Apple has "no issue" coming up with new ideas.

Elsewhere in the interview Cook revealed that Apple has repurchased $14 billion in stock over the past two weeks, and that the company is open to making large acquisitions if it makes sense.

Article Link: Tim Cook Says Apple Working on 'Some Really Great Stuff' in New Product Categories
  2. macrumors 6502

Oct 7, 2012
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2010
  4. macrumors 68040

Jan 8, 2013
  5. macrumors 68000

Feb 11, 2009
    Indeed, same thing he says every year. Could mean ANYTHING. I mean the line "we are working on some great new stuff" from Tim Cook means nothing more than saying its gonna be sunny some day.
  6. macrumors regular

Mar 6, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Like a watch? Or a bigger iPad? Or a bigger iPhone? Or a new OS? Or a new IOS?

That would be a shock.
  7. macrumors 6502

Jun 11, 2012
    14 billion in the last two weeks? So that's why it kept bouncing off the $500 mark, up when the rest of the tech sector was down 1-3%.
  8. macrumors member

Sep 1, 2013
  9. macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2008
    Am I the only one who read "really great stuff" in Tim's accent?
  10. macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2014
    Tim's choices of words never get me as excited as Steve's did... He really is quite boring. Great choice for COO, not so much for CEO.
  11. macrumors newbie

Apr 9, 2013
    Nope. :p
  12. macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2009
    i hate when he says this. is this going to become a every year thing?

My mom said, "Cook more talk less" i agree.
  13. macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Jul 3, 2010
    I have a lot of respect for Tim, but this isnt news. Tim ALWAYS says great things are coming, its a standard reply that he gives in interviews and I dont think it warrants an article.

If Tim is all about making great products rather than lots of different products how about he fixes Safari in iOS7 so that it doesnt crash all the time? I think that would be a good place to start because to be honest its bugging me to the point where my excitement for new products like the iWatch are fading. See, I dont have a problem with shelling out much more cash than I should for Apple's premium products, however I do have a problem when they most basic of functions dont work properly.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Well what do they expect him to say, 'We have no idea what we are doing now and Jony Ive just sits in a bar drinking all day with the rest of the design team.' Of course they are working on new stuff and I'm pretty sure they think its great otherwise they wouldn't be working on it.:rolleyes:
  15. macrumors 68030

Mar 16, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    I could be wrong but I don't recall him being specific as to when these new category products will arrive. He says 'Apple is working on some really great stuff' which could very well be the truth, and knowing Apple, they take their time (usually several years) working on a new category product.
  16. macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Jul 3, 2010
    I know. Its stating the obvious really isnt it? :)
  17. macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2012
    was going to write almost the same thing.
    must be nice, when anything you say is news worthy :D
  18. TC03, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

macrumors 65816

Aug 17, 2008
    This seems to be a typical working day for Jony since Forstall left.
  19. macrumors 68030

Jul 30, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    "If we can't do that, we're not going to force ourselves to hit a price point that makes us produce a product that we're not proud of because we lose who we are in that. We're not going to do that."

Hello iPhone 5C.

Also, how often does tim cook use the words "proud" and "products".

There's a drinking game for ya at Keynotes.
  20. macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2012
  21. macrumors 65816

Aug 17, 2008
    Add in 'drink the whole bottle when Cook says "only Apple could have done it"' and you're golden.

But to be honest, the 5C didn't hit a new price point, so Cook's comment was right.
  22. macrumors regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Tim keeps on saying that line... afraid the public/media is going to shout again Apple "can't innovate anymore"? Keeping them eagerly waiting for the next big thing?

When this kind of questions are asked during interviews, he should ignore them or refuse to answer them. That'll keep the media/public even more interested! It would be much more mind-blowing if we didn't knew anything at all, when suddenly there's a "One more thing" at the conference that'll surprises us like Jobs always did. Now we know "really great stuff" is coming and we'll be eagerly waiting for it at conferences, while rumoring the boldest ideas, to be eventually disappointed... :(
  23. macrumors regular

Aug 12, 2013
    Yeah because they just started working on the iWatch....hahaha are you for real?
  24. macrumors 68030

Mar 16, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Well then...enlighten us genius "for real"
    When did they exactly start working on the iWatch? You seem to know something the rest of us dont!
  25. macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2006
    personally i dont expect him to be saying anything. product releases should do the talking.

if i were to further elaborate i would say its because they arent delivering said products and pressure is creeping in.

i think its a worrying sign that a guy that is certainly not the creative muse in the company is saying this so often that it feels like groundhog day