Tim Cook Seeking 'Friendlier, More Approachable Face' for Apple with New PR Chief Hire

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 9, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

With the retirement of Apple's longtime public relations chief Katie Cotton having become official as of May 30, the company is now looking for her successor. according to Re/code, Tim Cook is personally overseeing the search and is seeking some external candidates who could put a "friendlier, more approachable face" on the company even as Apple has several in-house candidates who could step into the role.
    Apple software chief Craig Federighi posed for numerous photos with WWDC attendees (Photo: @alexford)
    While there have been signs that Apple has been opening up a bit under Tim Cook's watch, that evolution took a significant step forward at last week's Worldwide Developers Conference with the company making a number changes such as loosening non-disclosure restrictions on developers and making session materials available to the public.

Developers in general reported a much greater feeling of openness from Apple at the event, from the confident and friendly attitudes of Apple's executives and engineers to the developer "love letter" that was WWDC with the host of new tools for helping developers build better apps for iOS and OS X.

Article Link: Tim Cook Seeking 'Friendlier, More Approachable Face' for Apple with New PR Chief Hire
  2. macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2010
    For a moment I though he was giving us the finger!!
  3. macrumors 6502

Apr 8, 2009
  4. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    This would have never happened if Steve was alive.

And that's the truth.
  5. macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2012
    Tim, you should find more people like Craig Federighi :D
    Love the guy!
  6. AngerDanger, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2008
    Honestly, you couldn't get much friendlier or more approachable then Mr. Federighi, there.

7. macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2002
    Denver, CO
    For a moment I thought Craig was said "friendlier, more approachable face."
  8. macrumors 6502

Dec 31, 2008
    How happy of a face can you put on, "We have really cool stuff coming but we can't talk about it!"
  9. macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2013
  10. Stickrbox, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2014
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2011
    I always prefer my Giant Corporate Uberlords to not pretend to be people, even though the Supreme Court says otherwise.
  12. macrumors 6502

Feb 4, 2013
    Steve would have never have allowed this..... But now that Tim Cook is CEO, I'm glad that Apple is finally starting to get in to a groove and adopt the vision and personalities of the current executives.
  13. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2012
    Central California
    Steve jobs was a tyrant that turned apple around

Why be friendly when that was successful?
  14. macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2012
  15. macrumors 68020

Feb 28, 2009
    Everyone be on the lookout for new MacRumors accounts!
  16. macrumors 603

Apr 1, 2009
    15 minutes in the future
    Craig is awesome. I laughed out loud when he did the metal sign during the presentation. He might be a better presenter even than Steve Jobs.
  17. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2011
    Yep. And if you search Instagram, both Federighi and Ive were quite generous taking photos with lots of WWDC attendees.

Reminds me of a tweet from a developer that John Gruber re-tweeted a couple days ago:

18. macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2011
  19. macrumors 68020

Sep 23, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Why not Dr. Dre? Can't get much *friendlier* than that.

Or, Kanye West. :D
  20. macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2012
    UK (London)
    I'm up for the job... Where can I submit my application to?

Over here Tim! Hey :)
  21. macrumors 65816

Aug 17, 2008
  22. macrumors 6502

May 10, 2011
    You mean to say that Apple wasn't approachable in the past?
  23. macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2013
    Craig really does seem like the single nicest guy you could ever meet. He is a true joy to listen to and is the most passionate guy I ever hear at Apple events and talks in such an engaging and personable way.

Also love his humour, which makes a Keynote for me.

Apple really have a crack team at the top with Craig and Jony.

I would love this customer care position as I feel Apple needs a digital presence especially interacting on forums and engaging with customers to help move forward and develop no only great new technologies but also devices and services people are wanting and needing.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2012
    I can think of only one time in five years that Apple even responded to my interview requests. That's why I no longer request interviews for articles and research reports, even as a courtesy.

Microsoft was the same but has gotten much better in the past year or so.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

May 7, 2007
    Ugh... "Hey, Steve Jobs was a complete d**k and was wildly successful, so I can be too!"

Steve's success had to do with his attention to detail, his ability to surround himself with talent, his showmanship and his rejection of anything that didn't meet his high standard of quality.

Being an ***hole was Steve's way of motivating others to succeed. It's one way, but not the ONLY way and certainly not the best way.

And until someone with people skills becomes as successful as Steve, I'll have to continue hearing how being an a** is the only thing that works.

... Someone nice & successful step up? Pretty please!! :D