Tim Cook Speaks About Apple Maps, Samsung, and Apple's Future in TV Interview with Brian Williams

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Tim Cook has held the reins at Apple for over a year now, and this evening, he gave his first official television interview with Brian Williams on NBC's Rock Center, where he spoke about his role as CEO after Steve Jobs, lamented about the Maps debacle, and revealed a few hints about what's to come for Apple in the future. The full video is embedded below.

The first part of the interview focused on his first year as CEO, and what it was like to follow in the footsteps of former Apple CEO Steve Jobs. Cook was humble and personable as he explained that Jobs taught him to "just do what's right."

When asked about Apple's Maps application, which has faced significant criticism and resulted in the restructuring of the company, Cook told Williams that Apple "screwed up," and is "putting the weight of the company behind correcting it."

Part 1​
    Cook also touched on the ongoing conflict between Samsung and Apple, after Williams played a Samsung commercial for the Galaxy S3 that attacks Apple's iPhone, branding it as uncool.
    In one interesting section of the interview, Williams asked Cook if Apple would last, and how the company would avoid becoming like Sony, popular in the 80's and 90's before fading into the background. Cook reiterated Apple's drive to focus on a small number of products.
    The juiciest details of the exchange between Williams and Cook, which were leaked in teasers earlier this afternoon, came in the second part of the interview, where Williams focused on the Apple television, the death of Steve Jobs, and the U.S. production of Apple products.

Part 2​
    Cook commented on the much rumored Apple television set, mentioning, as revealed earlier, Apple's "intense interest" in the market, but he revealed little beyond that, speaking cryptically about his love of "The Jetsons."
    He also went into more detail about Apple's plans to bring production back to the United States, confirming that next year, one of the Mac lines will be produced in the United States.
    Williams ended the interview trying to get a few more tidbits on Apple's plans for the future, but this is all Cook had to say:
    Article Link: Tim Cook Speaks About Apple Maps, Samsung, and Apple's Future in TV Interview with Brian Williams
  2. arn
    macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    click on article link to see videos. They are NBC's players. Won't appear on iOS devices.
  3. macrumors 68010

Jun 18, 2009
    FEMA Region VIII
    Tim needs to quit drinking the kool-aid and BE the kool-aid.
  4. macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2003
    Overall, not much new for the MacRumors regulars. I think the most interesting part came during the live webcast afterwards, when while a lot of nothing new was said, we found out that Brian Williams knows of MacRumors. :)
  5. macrumors 68040

I'll wait to see what apple does next year. Actions speak louder than words.
  6. Radio, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2012
    Central California
    Wow so scripted.

Tim Cook hasn't offered anything new. He's on a strick course of setting good PR.

Watch the post interview with Brian Williams & joshua topolskyi of the verge. They pretty much agree that Tim cook was a robot
  7. macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2012
    I hope more products move from the slavery of china to the US and support our economy.
  8. macrumors 68030

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes! It was very cool to see Brian Williams ask Josh "so what do you think of _____?

It felt like Brian knew more than just the talking points... very refreshing coming from a mainstream media guy.

I've also enjoyed Brian Williams when he appears on Letterman, etc.
  9. macrumors 601

Jan 11, 2012
    Pacific Coast, USA
  10. macrumors 6502a

Dec 24, 2011
  11. MultiMediaWill, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2010
    Is Apple getting a bit desperate now having to go on NBC to get attention...?
  12. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Jan 17, 2008
    Tim Cook has been CEO for over a year and two months now, not "almost a year" as the article suggests.
  13. macrumors member

Oct 26, 2011
    I felt the same way. Seriously. It's unfair to compare him to Jobs but we can still expect a certain amount from him. He left a lot to be desired.
  14. macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2012
    He said this:

Our whole role in life is to give you something you didn't know you wanted. And then once you get it, you can't imagine your life without it. And you can count on Apple doing that.

Nice and inspiring words. Can't see them doing this with the iPhone 5.

I'll be looking at the iPhone and other products in 2013. See if he meant what he said.
  15. macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2010

"Tim Cook has held the REINS" or "Tim Cook has held reign"

Sorry. Copy editor by trade.
  16. macrumors 68000

Aug 25, 2011
    Brian Williams had an iphone on his table in one of the shots during the interview. He had a case on it, which probably made Cook cringe.
  17. macrumors member

Sep 14, 2012
    /\ ...have confidence, o ye of little faith...
  18. macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    It's obvious. Apple is making a flying car.

19. macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

May 7, 2007
    Cook interviews like a politician.

Brian: <Question>
    Tim: "You know Brian, <Generic Apple Talking Point>"

What's the point of interviewing someone who can't reveal anything new? :rolleyes:
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jan 17, 2006
    Our CEO? Do you work at Apple? :confused:
  21. macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2012
  22. macrumors 65816

Apr 4, 2007
    los angeles
    I didn't watch the interview, but I watched the one with Brian Williams and Josh Topolsky. I thought it was a pretty decent exchange. Brian Williams is awesome. Josh isn't bad either, I'm coming around on him.
  23. macrumors member

Aug 20, 2010
    "The glass on this phone is made in Kentucky."

So it's Gorilla Glass all along...
  24. macrumors G3

Feb 10, 2011
    I was hoping for a little more depth in the interview. I don't think there was much substance there.
  25. macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2009
    That's spot on for me, let this be some inspiration for everyone designing products and services :).