Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal today revealed that Apple CEO Tim Cook will speak at the WSJ.D conference in October. The conference brings together tech CEOs, founders and pioneers to "explore the most exciting tech opportunities emerging around the world."

timcookwsjappearance.jpg

This marks the second consecutive year Cook has spoken at the conference. Last year, Cook commented on an array of topics, including Apple Watch, Apple Pay, the discontinuation of the iPod Classic and more. Last year's highlights included the revelation that the Apple Watch only needed to be charged daily and that the iPod Classic was discontinued because the Cupertino company couldn't get the parts any longer.

Earlier today, Re/code also announced that Apple Pay head Jennifer Bailey will speak at the Code/Mobile conference, which takes place October 7 - 8 in Half Moon Bay, California.

This year's WSJ.D conference takes place October 19 - 21 at The Montage in Laguna Beach, California and will also feature CBS CEO Les Moonves, Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai and more.

Article Link: Tim Cook to Speak at 2015 WSJ.D Conference in October

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Couldn't get the parts? That's why iPod Classic was killed? As though it consisted of generic parts that others stopped manufacturing.

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
Couldn't get the parts? That's why iPod Classic was killed? As though it consisted of generic parts that others stopped manufacturing.

i think it's bs too as parts could have been substituted. (mainly the obscure micro hdd). but apple isn´t really to blame. the design is outdated and people didn't buy it.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Heres to the Apple Pay in Canada announcement at Re/Code :D

That's the most likely forum for the announcement. There are no more expected events before the holiday season and ApplePay in Canada is imminent:

My Apple Watch is prompting me to add Apple Pay in Canada.

Nmy7A53.jpg

Then I noticed a tweet by Moneris (the major distributor of debit terminals in Canada) tweeting about Canadian businesses getting ready for Apple Pay.

N0qn6TE.jpg

So I asked my neighbour who's a Moneris rep: "It's coming" he said. Won't say when. Damn tease.

konilim

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
I don't know whether he is that boring. I think Apple is a less exciting brand, but maybe that was always going to happen. There is a reason that he is the CEO.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
That's the most likely forum for the announcement. There are no more expected events before the holiday season and ApplePay in Canada is imminent:

Fingers crossed!!

Any chance you might have your watch set to US? Like when you set the country to US on your iPhone and it prompts you?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Fingers crossed!!

Any chance you might have your watch set to US? Like when you set the country to US on your iPhone and it prompts you?

Nope. I installed iOS 9.1. Maybe that's it. Maybe iOS 9.1 contains comparability updates for the Canadian market.
Nonetheless, the tweets by Moneris and confirmation from my neighbour who's a Moneris rep suggest that they're nearly ready to roll ApplePay in Canada.

Last edited:

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Tim Cook is soooo boooring. Give me Craig Federighi or Phil Schiller, then I'll watch. This Tim Cook interview is another giant waste of time.

Reactions: Canyonero

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
And this year Tim will comment on dicontinuation of gold option for any iPhone, lesser than 6s:

"we just ran out of gold paint. iPad Pro and all new sports watches alone use entire gold coating we can get. And by the way, that is the reason, why we had to create rose gold iPhone..."

:)

Reactions: Canyonero

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Question 1: Why 16 GB in 2015 with 4K video and photos that are now twice as large?

Question 2: Why only 5GB iCloud for free tier?

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Why don't you run Apple instead, I'm sure you'll crumble. Tim is doing great.

Tim's last presentation was an embarrassment. He sounded cringefully unconvincing while trying to pull a "Jobs" and extol the virtues of the new phone. I mean he really was embarrassing and with the flop sweat, he knew it.

Tim can't pull it off. It's becoming clearer as the pipeline that Jobs left is emptying and it not being filled with anything compelling. Instead there is no one to keep Ive from disappearing down the indulgent luxury goods rabbit hole and no-one championing new, risky technology with vision and deep insight.

Oh, I'm sorry. Here I am responding with analysis and arguments when you intended more of a school yard taunt match.

So, ah, yeah, I can't criticize Cook because I can't do the job, which you know even though you don't know who I am, or which company I run.

Got it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.