Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
What does Apple do in Austin that it doesn't do in Cupertino?

I am not quite sure exactly why, but part of it may be to the number of skilled people in the semiconductor industry that would not want to move to California. Intel and Texas Instruments are among the semiconductor companies there.

But I think another reason to have workers diversified would be in case of a natural disaster of something of that scale happening near Cupertino that it would not to leave Apple in complete crisis mode. Just as now it is common practice not to have all top executives fly on the same plane.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008

Mostly the Two Step.

Texas Governor Perry has given major tax breaks to corporations, effectively luring some tech companies in Silicon Valley like Apple to either relocate or expand facilities there. On the non-tech side, Toyota is building a new headquarters in Austin.

NY offers better deals. Things like 20 years, no tax.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
This is Tim Cooks phone... Looks like a normal size. At least for now. But I'm sure some one can figure out exact measurements so if some one wants to do that that would be great

Attachments

• tim cooks phone.JPG
    tim cooks phone.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,670

rexp

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2006
Did you notice?

I wanted to point out an homage to earlier days at Apple by the architects. You’ll notice that the hardscape walkways contrasting against the landscaping, look a bit like a cow’s hide, specifically a dog-cow.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
This is Tim Cooks phone... Looks like a normal size. At least for now. But I'm sure some one can figure out exact measurements so if some one wants to do that that would be great

Not that easy without a fixed reference. Is Tim Cook three feet tall or 12?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

You are studying the bulges of another man's pants... Way too carefully...

None of the big dogs would risk taking the new device outside of campus labs.

SandPebble

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Texas Governor Perry has given major tax breaks to corporations, effectively luring some tech companies in Silicon Valley like Apple to either relocate or expand facilities there. On the non-tech side, Toyota is building a new headquarters in Austin.

Just my opinion, but I would rather live and work in Texas than California.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
You are studying the bulges of another man's pants... Way too carefully...

None of the big dogs would risk taking the new device outside of campus labs.

Well you never know. If its super kick ass Tim might not be able to stop himself from taking it outside :D

----------

Not that easy without a fixed reference. Is Tim Cook three feet tall or 12?

He's 6 foot 3

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
After Yosemite and iOS 8, I believe now when they say "Exciting products" :)

Yep WWDC was huge for developers. However I didn't see much that implied exciting products hardware wise. I just wish that Apple would start shipping new Macs, especially a Mini or replacement for the Mini.

----------

Mostly the Two Step.

NY offers better deals. Things like 20 years, no tax.

That can be a bit misleading because there are so many taxes in NY! Beyond that the political environment in NY sucks as it has become a huge welfare state and possibly the least free state in the union. Almost anything that might be construed as fun is illegal in NY.

Kyrra

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009

Austin is mainly technical support on multiple levels. Phone support, forums, and their website. They have a lot of tech writers in Austin that write the support pages for the apple help website. They also have corporate training group.

Then there are partners in Austin for apple to work with. Samsung's plant that produces the A7 chips and previous ones, it's actually on the same road as Apple's offices (Parmer Ln), just about 6 miles down the road. AMD has most of their offices, intel and Nvidia also have offices in town.

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Tomorrow's Split after the Bell

Let's say it closes at $650 tomorrow, Friday. That'll put it at a spilt adjusted price of $92.86 per share. Seeing as there's NO after hours trading tomorrow, that's where it would open on Monday morning.

It's very possible to be "off to the races" just like California Chrome will be doing Saturday afternoon. Hmmm :D

I wonder if California Chrome wins the Triple Crown if that will be a positive omen for Apple to also do the same next week? Let's hope! :apple:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Time says that every time ...

Ya,, use of the word "magical" and "radically "awesome" if he wants to get with it with the cool kids.

I never knew Apple to admire a Trashcan like they did at the keynote. It's a trashcan icon for heavens sake..

I know Apple is all about perfection, but people honestly won't care how icons look, we'll still bu Apple products. :)

Tim's future is safe.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Other than a MacBook Air spec bump, Apple hasn't released any products this year. So you could see why people are getting a little antsy over new hardware.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I am not quite sure exactly why, but part of it may be to the number of skilled people in the semiconductor industry that would not want to move to California. Intel and Texas Instruments are among the semiconductor companies there.

But I think another reason to have workers diversified would be in case of a natural disaster of something of that scale happening near Cupertino that it would not to leave Apple in complete crisis mode. Just as now it is common practice not to have all top executives fly on the same plane.

We need one in Florida :) Some people may not want to move to CA, TX or anywhere except FL :D

jwbrobst

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
Has he got a prototype iPhone in his pocket or a Blackberry haha, it's appears to have a curved top?

That actually seems almost possible. A quick google search shows that Tim is only two inches taller than me (the internet is full of...interesting things)
I can assume similar hand size and my 5s comes from the bottom of my palm to right in the crease of my second set of knuckles.
The phone in his pocket definitely looks bigger then that, and there is no reason he would put a case on an iPhone 5s (looks too thin for that anyway)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.