Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While it was revealed yesterday that Apple executives Tim Cook and Eddy Cue had visited the company's new operations campus in Austin, Texas, Cook has just tweeted a photo of a second visit he made to Apple's nearby Mac Pro manufacturing facility.

cook_mac_pro_visit.jpg
Watching the Mac Pro come together in Austin yesterday,thanks to a team loaded with American manufacturing expertise. pic.twitter.com/5LcCOFIVgC - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) June 6, 2014
Apple's Mac Pro manufacturing facility is run by Flextronics as part of an initiative to bring manufacturing of some Apple products back to the United States. While it is currently a limited effort given the relatively low volume of Mac Pro production, it has received considerable attention.

Flextronics' Mac Pro facility is roughly a mile from Apple's new Austin campus, which is actually an expansion of the company's long-standing operations campus in the city. The campus expansion is major effort that will see Apple investing $300 million to add at least 3,600 workers at the site by 2021. The overall project will encompass roughly one million square feet of space, with the just-opened first phase including two out of a planned six buildings on the site.

Following the visit to Apple's facilities in Austin yesterday, Cue was also spotted in the stands at last night's Game 1 of the NBA Finals just down the road in San Antonio.

Update 9:27 AM: Cook has also tweeted a photo of his (and Cue's) visit with the AppleCare team at the operations campus in Austin.

cook_applecare_austin.jpg
Our AppleCare team is the best in the world. Thrilled to see them in action yesterday on our new campus in Austin. pic.twitter.com/fTaMKzMi9o - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) June 6, 2014

Article Link: Tim Cook Visits Mac Pro Factory 'Loaded with American Manufacturing Expertise' in Austin [Updated]

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
It really looks like those iMacs are running windows?

I noticed that too! Maybe Flextronics wants Windows on their lines but Apple said the machines still had to be their own? :)

Either way, glad Tim Cook sees an x86 Mac still doing something an ARM one couldn't!

Edit: Wow, three comments on that already? Popular topic I guess...

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada

There's a light gray bar at the top, so I'm guessing VMWare Fusion or Parallels. When you're talking about electronic hardware and testing equipment, a lot of it only has Windows software so it's not like they have a choice.

Also, can anyone spot anything that might look like a Mac mini on that photo?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

Sure why not. I don't need Apple wasting engineering resources coding software that already exists. They have a hard enough of a time just doing OS X and iOS.

-Kevin

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
"Just down the road in San Antonio" is like a three hour drive!

EDIT: Fellow members have clarified that the drive isn't 3 hours; it's more like an hour. Still a fair drive but not nearly as bad. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I tip my hat to that worker, I cannot work normally when someone is standing over me like that. Let alone the CEO lol.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
"Just down the road in San Antonio" is like a three hour drive!

I was visiting Austin a few weeks ago and took a trip to The Alamo in San Antonio. And it wasn't a 3 hour drive! More like hour, hour and a half. Bumper to bumper traffic the whole way, then maybe 3 hours.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Sure why not. I don't need Apple wasting engineering resources coding software that already exists. They have a hard enough of a time just doing OS X and iOS.

-Kevin

Exactly, let's not bother creating more software that runs on Macs so Windows can remain the dominant OS...even for building Macs. :rolleyes:

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Exactly, let's not bother creating more software that runs on Macs so Windows can remain the dominant OS...even for building Macs. :rolleyes:

I think you'll find hardly any companies use OS X for manufacturing assembly lines. Practically all are Windows as the software written by third parties do not support OS X. Why would they?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I think you'll find hardly any companies use OS X for manufacturing assembly lines. Practically all are Windows as the software written by third parties do not support OS X. Why would they?

You're post shows so much ignorance, Seriously. With that type of attitude things will remain the same. Is that what you want, to be monopolized by Microsoft? It's not like Macs are just a hobby. That's exactly what you're suggesting.
There's absolutely nothing about Windows in general that can only do that type of work. It's lazies that refused to create and consumers with your type of thinking that will keep everything the way it is. Very poor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.