Tim Cook Would Have Preferred to Announce the New iMac in January

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 23, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

During the Q&A portion of today's earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook was asked about the number of product releases in the fall of 2012 and whether he wished Apple had done things differently.

His answer was somewhat revealing, as Apple is usually hesitant to disclose internal discussions and deliberations, but Cook said that looking back, he would have delayed the release of the new iMac until 2013 to avoid some of the delays that many customers experienced after ordering a new Mac.

Apple's new iMacs, first announced in October, experienced significant delays in shipping, presumably due to the thinness of the machine. The displays required a new manufacturing process along with advanced welding techniques, causing some customers to wait for weeks before receiving their orders.

During Apple's Q1 earnings call, Tim Cook admitted that the iMac was constrained for the entire quarter, resulting in a "significant shortage".

The above quote is from a rough transcript of the earnings call

Article Link: Tim Cook Would Have Preferred to Announce the New iMac in January
  2. macrumors 6502

Apr 26, 2011
  3. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
  4. macrumors member

Feb 11, 2010
  5. macrumors 6502

Mar 2, 2012
    Scotland, land of the haggis
  6. Guest

Sep 19, 2011
    Ohio, United States
    How long ago was Maps released? Why are people still complaining about Maps? It's not even a big deal. Don't like it, download one of the other billion map applications.
  7. macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2013
    Welding techniques? Are these things welded together?! After experiencing the extreme ease of opening an iMac G5, the fact that my 2006 Intel iMac had @#$%ING DUCT TAPE in it was shocking.
  8. macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2008
  9. macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2012
    would have preferred to not have Tim Cook as CEO at all...how about that!
  10. macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2012
    Seeing as I was lucky enough to get mine in early/mid December, can't say I would have been happy with this! haha :D
  11. macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2012
    Chandler, Arizona
    And if he had planned to announce the iMac redesign in early 2013, probably they could have done a spec bump in summer 2012 which would have made so much more sense and made so many more people happy and so much more profit than doing it how they did.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Apr 5, 2011
    It would have been interesting if they went along with that plan... although delaying them until 2013 would have put nearly a two-year gap between releases...

Not that the 2011 iMac is anything to sneeze at! My 27" baby is still running very strong since I got it almost two years ago! :)
  13. macrumors 6502

May 25, 2010
    Because people can only really think of only two massive mess ups when it involves apple in recent years, and the other one was all the way back with the iPhone 4.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2010
    Wow, so he would've delayed a product that was perfectly fine and ready to go? Somebody please get rid of this guy for good.
  15. macrumors 6502

May 25, 2010
    My 2009 is still running perfectly as well.

But it wasn't. Supplies were significantly constrained. But let's just keep attacking anybody that isn't Jobs :rolleyes:
  16. macrumors 6502

Dec 29, 2008
    If anything, I think the new iMac should've been called the "early 2013" version as opposed to "late 2012". Most people had to wait until 2013 anyway! That was the most grueling wait I've ever experienced from an Apple launch...and I've preordered my fair share of iPhones and iPads. It was worth it though, I love this computer.
  17. macrumors 68030

Nov 10, 2007
    Definition of a product that's ready to go: I click order, and they assemble it and ship it to me in a reasonable amount of time (under three months). It was not "ready to go."

There's more to releasing a product that you want to sell than designing it. You need to be able to supply it to the customers who buy it.

It was a mistake to announce it before it was ready to ship in any quantity. Glad he owned up to it.
  18. macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2013
    Supply constraints.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Oct 7, 2010
    Uh, because it still sucks.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2013
    Also when android gives you choice it's all types of awesome, but if apple gives you a choice it's because they've failed miserably!
  21. macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Jan 7, 2012
    First thing I thought of was how big of a slap in the face this is to Mac Pro users when he said "We felt customers had to wait too long for that specific product."
  22. macrumors 6502

Jun 4, 2011
    Tim Cook quickly added though, "Not wrong about killing the DVD drive. Screw optical disk drives. Stevey J wanted to murder them long ago. I'm just carrying out his will."
  23. macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2012

Pretty much sums it up.
    2013 Trolling Award goes to...

Attached Files:

24. macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2006
    Jony Ive, the destroyer of worlds

If I had designed a product that was so difficult to manufacture that it resulted in a three month delay in order fulfillment, Apple would have sacked me. Instead, Jony Ive gets a raise, more responsibilities, and the ability to destroy Apple almost single-handedly.

By the way, I've had a few conversations with the techies who will have to repair the new iMacs when, for example, a hard drive goes south. They believe this design (double-faced tape to affix the screen) is ludicrous. The ones who have actually had practice with the repair believe there will be displays broken as a result of this design.
  25. macrumors regular

May 23, 2005
    Bath, UK
    I completely agree with you, Apple seems to be getting rather OCD about shaving off another 0.Xmm just for the sake of it, which is completely unnecessary on a desktop. When was the last time you heard anyone say "I wish my iMac was thinner"...?

It's pretty ridiculous too that they have to use an expensive and slower mobile CPU and GPU just so they can save a few millimetres... I'm pretty sure they wouldn't loose any sales by having perhaps an internal PCI slot with the GPU in, which would have fitted in the older aluminium design no problem. How about user-upgradable RAM too? What happened to that?