Tim Cook's Email to Apple Staff Regarding Supplier Responsibility Report

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 13, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Earlier today, Apple released its 2012 Supplier Responsibility Progress Report, an annual report that was supplemented for the first time by a public list of over 150 companies that supply components and manufacturing services to the company.

As related by French site MacGeneration, Apple CEO Tim Cook sent the following email to company employees today addressing the developments on the supplier responsibility front:
    Today has been a busy day on the environmental responsibility and worker rights fronts for Apple, with the company also announcing a partnership with the Fair Labor Association to monitor conditions at suppliers' facilities and an expanded recycling program in the UK, Germany, and France. News also surfaced today regarding Apple's efforts to transition to halogen-free power and USB cables for its products.

Article Link: Tim Cook's Email to Apple Staff Regarding Supplier Responsibility Report

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

Not sure why it took until Tim Cook was CEO to do this, but good on them.

3. macrumors member

i wonder if he was thinking about Microsoft (XBox) when he wrote that.

4. macrumors 68020

Congrats Apple for doing the right thing.

5. macrumors 65816

Good to see Tim caring about human atrocities, unlike his predecessor.

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors 65816

Kudos To Tim & Apple

For trying to take the "high road"!!!

8. macrumors 6502a

Or you could take some of those billions of dollars you're sitting on and those new billions of dollars in profits you make and work with suppliers to open some factories in the US.

9. macrumors 68040

They may have just joined the FLA, but Apple has been doing supplier responsibility reports since 2007.

10. mbh
    macrumors 6502

Or possibly, This American Life knew that Apple was due to release their annual report on their suppliers and figured that this was a good time to pump up the publicity.

11. macrumors 68030

I don't think it took Tim to become CEO to do this.

These programs were most likely in place already, just not used for PR.

Impossible that even under Jobs Apple wouldn't monitor its suppliers.

Apple is too smart for that.

12. macrumors 603

i miss SJ. he would have hired hit men to kill anyone who dares to speak badly of apple and kept things secret like they should be

13. Guest

Because Steve Jobs never caved into the "bragging" mindset that all expect. He knew Apple was doing the right thing and that's all that mattered to him. This is what infuriated Green Peace the most - that Steve Jobs never gave them what they wanted... an environmental roadmap, which is how Green Peace rates companies; not on what they do, but what they promise to do whether they do it or not, which seems really stupid.

I think being the former "supply guy," Tim Cook is more in tune with what's expected and more willing to be transparent about it, especially since he's the one that made it happen.

14. macrumors newbie

Where is China's Government?

This is a nice "courtesy" response from Apple, and I am sure MSFT, etc. have similar practices in place due to all the negative publicity in recent years.

Seems the real issue is the [lack] of Chinese government intervention. It should be other nations pressuring them to shape up along with Apple, etc.

It is sick this issue even exists.

15. Guest

Yeah, this is the dumbest post of the year so far.

Do you really think that this only happened after Jobs was gone? This has been going on a long time, they just never released their findings until now.

16. macrumors regular

To do what?

Something that irks me after reading the WSJ article and comments is the lack of mention that these reports are annual and have been going on since 2007. The first sentence of the WSJ article implies that, along with the supplier list, this is the first time Apple has released such a report. The comments made by several readers there also suggest that these folks think this is the first time Apple have conducted these audits and so, of course, assume it's all down to pressure due to the recent Foxxconn employee conditions reports.

The only difference between this report and last year's is that this one is more thorough. Much in the same way as the only difference between the 2011 and 2010 reports is that the 2011 report was more thorough.

It's frustrating that this wasn't communicated in - what I've been led to believe is - a high-profile newspaper.

17. Shrink, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I really want to believe that Apple is taking these steps in earnest, and not just some PR b**sh**. If it helps sell more product - fine. I don't care about motivation, I only care about actions. If Apple is seriously pursuing improved conditions for the workers who produce stuff for them, I think that is commendable.

And, yes, I know the responsibility ultimately lies with the companies employing the workers. Apple's power lies in the potential threat to stop doing business with the offending company and take their business elsewhere. That's powerful incentive for the companies to comply with Apple's "Code of Conduct".

I do think that Apple has every right to set standards for companies with which they do business. They can't force the companies to comply - they can give them a choice. This choice is frequently cited by those saying that if workers don't like the working conditions, they can leave the company and get another job. This, too, applies to the company and it"s continuing relationship with Apple.

18. macrumors regular

I'm liking all of the communications we've seen from Tim, he seems like a great guy to lead Apple.

19. macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hopefully it does provide improvements.

20. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.1;FBBV/4100.0;FBDV/iPhone4,1;FBMD/iPhone;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0.1;FBSS/2; FBCR/Verizon;FBID/phone;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/2.0])

If these are the kinds of things Cook does for Apple, ... I love it.

21. macrumors 68020

applesith

Who cares if it's because they genuinely care (they probably do) or if it's for PR. Either way they rolled out this initiative. End result is the same.

22. macrumors 6502

sarge

the question I have is why Macrumors (Arn & co.) didn't post about the TAL podcast. Was this an editorial decision, an economic decision, or an oversight?

23. macrumors regular

Bottom line, everyone knows these factory managers change everything up when the auditers come through. What good is an audit if everybody knows and management puts on a huge dog and pony show?

24. macrumors newbie

It is great but it would be nice if he was as concerned about his retail employees. Allowing Work Place Bullies in Apple management at retail stores is the utmost abuse. Work place bullies are hard to catch because they are devious but even harder to catch when HR protects them. Our local store (SLO) has had the entire original staff "Managed Out" by a work place bully in less then a year. That is dozens of dedicated and well trained employees that were abused because of one person. THAT is right here in our backyard.

25. rkahl, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

macrumors 65816

Hey Tim, How bout bringing Apple back home to the USA instead of worrying about underage labor and living conditions.