Timbuk2 Bags

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Deefuzz, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I recently have gotten a new 15 inch MacBook Pro, and now I am searching for a case. I did alot of forum searching for opinions on different bags, or cases for laptops and one that kept catching my eye was the Timbuk2 bags.

It seems that those that have them are pretty satisfied. I would need a bag to bring my MacBook with me to my folks place occasionally, sometimes over to my girlfriends, and once in a great while to travel. I would most likely want to bring along a few books, magazines, camera equipment (I have a digital rebel and a digital elph, along with lenses and cords), maybe a small dvd album, and cables. Just wondering if those out there with any Timbuk2 bags could recommend something that could suit my needs? I like the style of these bags better than some of the bags that look all black, or look like a briefcase.

Right now I am looking at The Commute and The Underground, any advice? Anyone have any photos they could share of their bags loaded with gear? And one final question, if I got one of these bags, should I also get a sleeve for added protection? The site says one isn't needed for the Commute bag, but makes no mention of such with the Underground, which also seems to fit all sizes of MacBooks. I'm still kind of on the fence as to whether I would prefer a shoulder strap messenger style bag, or the backpack.

Thanks to anyone who can take the time to loan me some kind advice. :D

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

They're great bags and can take a beating. I'd own one if I had the money, but I'm content with my look-a-like right now.

3. Deefuzz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

4. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

The commute is a very good laptop messenger but trying to fit what you mentioned above into the bag would pose a problem. The Underground, however has more storage space compared to the commute and also comes with a slot to put your laptop in.

I would strongly suggest The Underground for your needs and I owned a couple of their bags myself. They have been superb, keeping my stuff safe and dry no matter where I bring them to. Another plus point - Their customer service is prompt and efficient.

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I have had a Commute for a few years now, and it's an incredible bag. I bike everywhere with my Powerbook in it, and it's always kept it dry in rain or snow (get the waterproof fabric), and safe from falls or getting tossed around. Lots of pockets inside for books, papers, etc. Great bag, and it'll last forever!

Ah, here are some photos of it in action:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah, that's a comic book in there as well. What, a man can't sneak comics into the library and pretend he's studying? The side pockets are great for holding my bike lights/ipod when I'm on the train. The outside of mine has been coated in bike grease from me wiping my hands on it during roadside repairs. Probably not the best idea.

6. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

i dont know about their laptop messenger bags, but their regular messenger bags are very reliable and tough.

7. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Before you make a purchase on one of those, read the specs. The problem is that they were great for the old Powerbooks, yet the MBP is just that much wider. I was looking at the laptop sleve dimensions, which I believe were just a hair too narrow when compared with the laptop. Instead I ended up getting the regular Timbuk2 messenger (medium) with a laptop slieve (foofbag), and couldn't be happier. The bags are bomb-proof, and look awesome.

8. Deefuzz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Thanks for the input...It doesn't look like the messenger bags like the commute have many extra dividers/organizers/pockets...Is that the case?

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Actually, it has a bunch of little pockets and whatnot on the inside. Let me see if I can get a photo up.

Oh, and the medium is listed as being able to hold a MBP, so I think you should be ok.

Edit: Beaten to it.

10. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Not really. There is a butt-load of pockets on the inside of the front of the bag. I got the optional divider, which is nice as well.

Attached Files:

11. munckee macrumors 65816

I have one that I like a lot as well. I did, however, choose to go with the standard messenger bag and an incase sleeve instead of the computer specific bag. It just makes the bag easier to manage when I want to use it for something other than hauling my computer.

I'd also recommend the optional divider. Makes life a little easier.

12. ste6168 macrumors newbie

I have the extra large commute bag for my 17" PB and it works great, I couldnt be happier with it. Somthimes it gets a little packed as over a few weeks time I keep just shoving stuff in and eventually have to clean it out. Really though, it is by far the best bag i have ever owned although I am thinking of ditching it and going backpack with a sleeve instead. Only becuase the 17" gets SOO heavy after a while, i think the backpack solution would be better for this reason. hope that helps your decision somewhat.