Timbuk2 Laptop Messenger +or Timbuk2 Commute???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mood, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Mood macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2005
    (Laptop Messenger)

I've narrowed down the laptop bags to these two. I like the design of the first one better than the second one, but I really don't see what the difference between the two is. The only reason why I would go with the Commute is that I've seen reviews for it, and have seen real pictures of the inside and it has a water bottle holder (i bike a lot), but the former looks a lot cooler and is like 10 dollars cheaper.

Your personal preference?
  2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    The first one is cuter. :)

If I had $90 I'd probably get that.

In the end, it's only $10 difference. If you decide you don't like it, you can just return it, right?
  3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I own the grey and blue (Commute)

I love it! First, it has massive protection for my laptop. Plus, the back is actually padded which is nice on my hips. A girls' gotta have hip protection yanno! I love the pockets, they're very nice and there is an outside zipper on the back where I keep a couple of things that are thin. The material is top knotch. What I hated was I needed to spend (and you will too) $10 extra to get the shoulder strap. Trust me, after sticking the laptop and a notepad and a textbook, it was hard on my shoulder. At least for me it was. The strap was nice, but the non-slip shoulder pad is to die for. Well worth the $10.

I did see the other one, but I liked the space in the commute.
  4. Mood thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2005
    can you reposition these so that they're on your back and not on your hip (i don't want to look like gay*), like a bicycle person does. Would it look goofy carrying a bag aroudn like that?

*[not that there's anything wrong with that, I mean that's fine if that's who you are people's personal sexual preferences are nobody's business but their own]
  5. dav macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2004

Thanks for saving us the redundant debate
  6. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2005
    I have the red and gray commute bag (Ohio State Buckeye colors, go bucks!) and i love it. Personally i don't really understand the difference between the two but i know you can't go wrong either way with the timbuk2 bags. The shoulder strap is a good asset as well because if you are carrying a lot of things besides your laptop it'll be easier on your shoulder. And yes you can tighten the strap so that the bag will be resting right on your back below your neck. Thats the way these bags are supposed to be worn anyways. I can't stand when people get these messenger bags and wear the strap really long and just carry it off of their shoulder down by their hips. ANNOYING!
  7. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

May 13, 2005
    Ten points for the Seinfeld reference.
  8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I have a Timbuk Commuter bag (15") for my 15" PB. I like this bag as it is very sturdy and not that heavy. Enough space in the bag to carry the PB's accessories. Unfortunately, I don't take my 15" out because the outside duty will be filled by my 12" PB (I use a Brenthaven bag, after buying a 12" incase bag and 12" Booq bag; those last 2 bags were too small to carry accessories, such as Airport Express base station, mouse, Belkin portable speakers, retractible ethernet cable, Apple AC adapter).
  9. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005

Okay, heres the differences between the two. The commute (which I have) has a laptop sleeve inside, in addition to the main compartment (not huge). This will carry your PB and a few notebooks and regular sized textbooks. There are tons of pockets inside and out for extras.

The messenger is just a regular timbuk 2 bag with a laptop sleeve. No extras like the commute. The advantages are more internal room, better look (IMO, not as much like a briefcase), and a little lighter. (Plus ten bucks less). My conclusion, if u want more of a briefcase, go with the commute. A bag that can carry your PB safely: messenger.
  10. obrien234 macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2005
    Brighton, MI
    I also hear that the commute doesn't have the quick adjust strap or the cross strap, but I don't know if thats true.