Timbuk2 makes me angry

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by psycho-, Feb 22, 2006.

1. psycho- macrumors member

:mad:

In anticipation for a new macbook pro that I ordered from amazon.com, I ordered a timbuk2 laptop sleeve bag from the timbuk2 website.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm?categoryId=21

The product arrives damaged! More specifically, the nylon handles are frayed from the factory.

I email timbuk2 about a replacement since out of the box the product was damaged. This is the response I get:

Is it unreasonable to ask timbuk2 to pay for shipping back and forth for this because of their poor QC?

Also, I've owned many timbuk2 bags in the past, and this is by far one of the poorest showings I've seen from them. They have really gone downhill.

I'm sad, I'm going to go sulk because they're being a PITA.

2. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Erm send it back to them and demand a full refund or a replacement if that's what you'd like.

Not sure how they figured out that you're liable for the shipping fee's!

3. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

Most companies have their return policies in obvious locations on their web site. It's a good idea to read them before buying things from merchants you haven't dealt with in the past.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Most places don't cover shipping for 'warranty' work, but in your case I think you have a right to be disgruntled. I'd give the customer service a ring.

5. psycho- thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Koodauw for the advice. The ended up doing that. I looked up their phone number on the SBC yellow pages for San Fransisco, and found their number. They're 2nd day shipping a new bag and emailing me a prepaid return label.

6. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

wow, they suck. I'll never do business with them.

7. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

followup: one of the things they teach us in the army:

If its' frayed, take a lighter to it. Problem solved. (assuming the situation calls for it)

8. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Yeah, but that only works if it's frayed in a non-critical area...if one of the straps is bad then that's a problem he can't fix with a lighter...

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, it sounds like it worked out, I'm glad. I have one of their bags, and it's withstood insane amounts of abuse. You should have years of trouble-free use ahead of you (assuming this bag arrives in ok condition).

10. psycho- thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. I have a bunch of their stuff. I've used their bag for years. I've even visited the factory once and talked to the folks because of a warranty issue. It's just sad to see things going downhill for such a good company.

11. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I am also glad to hear this. I really like their products and the company, and I'm always disappointed to hear stories of poor service. In many cases, I would wait until you actually talk to someone on the phone before passing judgement on the service. In many cases, things can be resolved this way as you seemed to have done. If after a second chance a company is still unaccomodating, that really boils my bunions.:mad:

12. psycho- thread starter macrumors member

I totally agree. this was the 2nd email with them. Luckily i gave them a 3rd chance by calling them. I still like their stuff. Otherwise, i wouldn't have spent hundreds of dollars on them over the years.