Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psycho-

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Del Mar, CA
:mad:

In anticipation for a new macbook pro that I ordered from amazon.com, I ordered a timbuk2 laptop sleeve bag from the timbuk2 website.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm?categoryId=21

The product arrives damaged! More specifically, the nylon handles are frayed from the factory.

I email timbuk2 about a replacement since out of the box the product was damaged. This is the response I get:

Hi Victor,

Thank you for contacting Timbuk2!

We apologize for the defect in your bag. We do not do repairs to bags in our SF factory. If you want the same bag your best bet is a local tailor. Your bag is covered under our warranty. If you want to take advantage of it, please fill out our warranty form linked below, print and mail it with your bag to the address provided.
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/cms/warranty.htm

It takes us 7-10 business days to process your warranty. Once we receive and evaluate it we will issue you a gift certificate for the replacement value of your bag and you can use it to purchase a new bag online. Unfortunately, as per our policy detailed in the link above, you are responsible for any and all shipping charges. Our apologies.

We at Timbuk2 appreciate your support!

Sincerely,
Aldo Rodriguez
Customer Service
Timbuk2, Inc.
http://www.timbuk2.com

Is it unreasonable to ask timbuk2 to pay for shipping back and forth for this because of their poor QC?

Also, I've owned many timbuk2 bags in the past, and this is by far one of the poorest showings I've seen from them. They have really gone downhill.

I'm sad, I'm going to go sulk because they're being a PITA.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Erm send it back to them and demand a full refund or a replacement if that's what you'd like.

Not sure how they figured out that you're liable for the shipping fee's!

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Most companies have their return policies in obvious locations on their web site. It's a good idea to read them before buying things from merchants you haven't dealt with in the past.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Most places don't cover shipping for 'warranty' work, but in your case I think you have a right to be disgruntled. I'd give the customer service a ring.

psycho-

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Del Mar, CA
Koodauw said:
Most places don't cover shipping for 'warranty' work, but in your case I think you have a right to be disgruntled. I'd give the customer service a ring.

Thanks Koodauw for the advice. The ended up doing that. I looked up their phone number on the SBC yellow pages for San Fransisco, and found their number. They're 2nd day shipping a new bag and emailing me a prepaid return label.

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
followup: one of the things they teach us in the army:

If its' frayed, take a lighter to it. Problem solved. (assuming the situation calls for it)

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
psycho- said:
Thanks Koodauw for the advice. The ended up doing that. I looked up their phone number on the SBC yellow pages for San Fransisco, and found their number. They're 2nd day shipping a new bag and emailing me a prepaid return label.

Well, it sounds like it worked out, I'm glad. I have one of their bags, and it's withstood insane amounts of abuse. You should have years of trouble-free use ahead of you (assuming this bag arrives in ok condition).

psycho-

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Del Mar, CA
livingfortoday said:
Well, it sounds like it worked out, I'm glad. I have one of their bags, and it's withstood insane amounts of abuse. You should have years of trouble-free use ahead of you (assuming this bag arrives in ok condition).

Yeah. I have a bunch of their stuff. I've used their bag for years. I've even visited the factory once and talked to the folks because of a warranty issue. It's just sad to see things going downhill for such a good company.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
psycho- said:

I am also glad to hear this. I really like their products and the company, and I'm always disappointed to hear stories of poor service. In many cases, I would wait until you actually talk to someone on the phone before passing judgement on the service. In many cases, things can be resolved this way as you seemed to have done. If after a second chance a company is still unaccomodating, that really boils my bunions.:mad:

psycho-

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Del Mar, CA
Jay42 said:
I am also glad to hear this. I really like their products and the company, and I'm always disappointed to hear stories of poor service. In many cases, I would wait until you actually talk to someone on the phone before passing judgement on the service. In many cases, things can be resolved this way as you seemed to have done. If after a second chance a company is still unaccomodating, that really boils my bunions.:mad:

I totally agree. this was the 2nd email with them. Luckily i gave them a 3rd chance by calling them. I still like their stuff. Otherwise, i wouldn't have spent hundreds of dollars on them over the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.