Timbuktu

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tinydancer, Dec 15, 2004.

1. tinydancer macrumors regular

Anybody use Timbuktu? Everyone in my family uses a Mac, and I have a big family. I find myself doing a lot of troublshhoting for them, which I enjoy. I need a way to work with their Macs without physcially being in front of them. I understand that Timbuktu will serve that purpose. Does anybody reccomend this software? Are there other options that are better? Let me know your thoughts.

2. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

Is the software similar to Apple's Remote Desktop? I couldn't seem to easily find it with a google search, so do you have a link to the software's page?

3. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Take a look at Chicken of the VNC at sourceforge.net. VNC is a free app for sharing desktops between computers (Mac, PC, etc.). Runs on OS X.

5. HarbV7.0 macrumors newbie

Yeah it's a good program. We use it at work to transfer files and in IT we use it for desktop support. To be honest I prefer it over ARD. The netcode is great and TB2 has some options ARD doesn't. I support 2 remote offices, both about 500km from here and it works great. Of course it depends on the connection at both ends. Anyway I recommend it highly in a Mac environment. There is a pc version but it isn't nearls as good as the Mac one. Still it can be used in a mixed network, something ARD isn't capable of.

6. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

Do all parties involved have to have TB2 installed on their computers. For example if I need to work on my brother's computer does he need to have tb2 installed in addition to me running it on my system, or is it enough just for me to have it?

7. HarbV7.0 macrumors newbie

Yes, it has to be installed on each computer you want to use it on. Installation and setup are pretty easy though.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

In any remote desktop scenario, the both parties need to have the software installed. In TB2's case, I believe it provides some proprietary compression schemes, as well as security, between the clients.

One thing to keep in mind is how the clients are connected to the internet. If they have broadband and are connected with a router, you'll need to make sure the right ports are open on the router so that TB2 (or whatever) can get through to the other client, as well as open on your side to accept return traffic. The manuals will tell you what that needs to be.

If they're dial-up (which may be slow), you may need to get them to tell you the IP they get after they're dialed in.

In either case, if they are calling you because they can't get to the internet, then you may not be able to connect to them (if they actually can't vs. just think they can't). One of the nice things about TB2 is that, as I recall, very little client knowledge is required. Which is always a bonus.

9. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the info guys....I guess with the fact that all parties have to be running the software, my big problem will be purchasing enough software for everyone to have a copy of their own. They will probably rather me just visit them as opposed to them having to spend $100 for the software. Installing the same copy on 5 different systems probably isn't a good idea!

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Chicken of the VNC (see link above) is free, so may be a good option to test the viability of the process. Try it with one member of your family and see if it works with what you need to do.

As for installing the same copy, it is not only illegal, but TB2 won't operate (it will detect the duplicate).

11. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

Excelent points you raise...thanks