Time Capsule as router no. 2

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by rhfreelance, Dec 28, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi there

I have a router already, but as i have a large home it doesn't cover all rooms. I have a ethernet cable from that router, to the other end of my house. Can I connect Time Capsule to that cable (from the router) and use it as router no. 2?

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Rasmus Henriksen

2. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Take a look at this link. I have had some success with it.

If not, then what make is the other router? Is it able partake in WDS?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer - I am not sure i understand this :)

Another question: is the Time Capsule a good solid and secure router to use?

4. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_distribution_system

Basically if you have two routers that have WDS then they can automatically act as repeaters / extenders. All Apple routers have this, and only some other manufacturers.

It's as secure as any other, and I find it easier to use with the Airport Utility software installed on your Mac.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah I see, I have a Linksys WRT610N.. Can't find any specifications that mentions WDS..

Okay, great - in case that Time Capsule can reach all rooms, I'll just switch to that one..

6. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you tried the link in my first post? Basically it forms the same large wireless network.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't got the Time Capsule yet - I just wanted to hear my options when it arrives :) But I'll defenetly try your guide..

8. macrumors 68040

In my experience, the Apple router usually prefers to be the first in line with your modem connection. You will probably want to enable bridge mode (which turns off routing) on the secondary router, so as not to run into a double NAT (Network Address Translation). Weird things can happen with double NAT so it is best to just avoid it entirely.