Time for a Gay/Lesbian forum

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Chip NoVaMac, Sep 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Given the relative popularity and contributed thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=118514&page=1&pp=40

Maybe it is time to offer a sub forum for the Gay/Lesbian community here.

The tread has gone so OT at times, but remains a popular read. With many more posts that the Keria thread, but many more reads.

There are many of us that feel that MR is a home for all of us. Some like myself, have only contributed to MR and no others.

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

While that thread is popular indeed. It seems that its a conversation with about 5-6 people, I'm not sure if thats exactly enough to warrant a whole new sub-forum imho

Out of the top of my head, it seems to be:
    you
    scem0
    ugg
    leekohler
    and the rest.

EIDT: while there are many mane more, its those who regularly post in there. Even the OP is gone.
    EDIT2: Don't get me wrong, if enough people want it then I guess there should be one. There just doesn't seem to be enough...

3. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

There are the likes of myself that have tried to resist posting to this thread to be accused of inflating our "numbers"

Because of the thread size and scope, it is hard for some to comment on the issues that have been covered.

4. mac-er macrumors 65816

I don't see the need to start creating forums for particular groups of people.

There are lots of UK folks on here, but you don't hear them wanting a sub-forum.

It's about time close that thread down because its become a conversation among a few people and is OT anyways.

5. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I don't believe it will be a good idea, as we would be singling out the many other groups, for example a cars forum, Family Guy, Lost, Sports, fishing forums (random :D) and etc. If we allow a forum there would be other people wishing for these. It would be confusing. I do believe the current Community forum to be effective and a clear thread title to be best imo.

Just a thought start up a dot mac group ;) and have links on the site to forum threads.

6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I agree. A yahoo group or something would be a greater Idea.

7. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

First off, I would totally support a UK sub section here.

As to closing that thread down. There are many of us that are sincerely interested in the ramblings doing on. Some of us are financial contributers to MR. not some hangers on's.

8. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Then the car people need to find a new forum. BAR this and that are tiresome to me in the home-page forum listings.

9. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I know how popular the thread is. But its waay off topic. Isn't that against the rules anyhow? Threads that go off topic get shut down (ie, the pube shaving thread)...

10. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What is the fear? We have conducted ourselves civilly. And even self policed.

It is only OT because there are many of us that have yet to find a group that we can feel comfortable in. MR provides that general home.

11. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

What fear? I just don't think its right to make a sub-forum directed at a certain group of people. As soon as another thread grows they're going to want one too.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not everyone is so civil. Especially in this political climate. It's a good idea, but one who's time sadly has not come. Were I in your shoes I would simply continue to post in the regular community threads and hope they don't get sent to the Poli forums or get shut down.

I prefer the integration to the separate but equal, but that's just me. ;)

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Remember the last time people asked arn for some sub-forums, it was decided that there are "other" places better suited to these subforums -- since we are here to talk about Apple and it's products.

Trying to be everything dilutes the reason people some here -- news, help, etc.

At some point fragmenting too much that opening up forums for boxers, briefs, thongs, etc. seems like a good idea.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Asking for that thread to be shut down is completely way out of line IMO — it harms no-one, is fairly spam-free and is just as valid as many other threads here that go on for many pages.

Others have joined in that conversation the last few weeks — if you don't like it, ignore it. Besides, as ChipNoVaMac points out, some people involved are contributors to this site.

However, I wouldn't be supportive of UK forums, gay forums etc. The beauty of MR is that we can all come together — if there's a UK forum, there's no sound reason why there shouldn't be a Norwegian forum, an Aussie forum... even a Kiwi forum. ;)

15. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I agree that the topic is just as valid as any other threads that go on for pages. But its been spiraling out of topic for Half a year and I find it unfair that other threads get shut off for going off topic (Such as the pube shaving thread I mentioned earlier).

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

To be honest, the only on-topic response to the question, 'Are there any gays here?' is the answer, 'Yes'.

Perhaps shutting down the other thread was unfair but that is an issue for you and others to take up with a mod — not using that example to condemn another completely unrelated thread.

There also appears to be a general reluctance here to entertain threads with the topic based on the subjects of excretory functions, copulation, genitalia etc. which seems fair enough to me...

17. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I didn't state that thread as an example to condemn other threads, rather I looked at it as a basis as to why/how other threads get shut down, and it seemed unfair to me that one is exempt and another isn't. I don't particularly have an issue with that thread being gone I just used it because It was a recent event.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I've always wondered why people click on threads about things they don't like. Like a thread about the nano that's called "I bought a nano". And then someone clicks on it, and actually posts something! Usually something like "not another nano thread". Then why'd you click the link? :confused:

But yeah, gays = people... so I support you guys, but respectfully disagree with the whole sub-forum thing.

19. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I'm gay and I think a gay sub-forum is the stupidest idea I have ever heard. Please--I beg you not to do this.

Next we'll have blacks, jews, and womens' forums. This makes no sense. We're all Mac users, and we can all discuss things.

And as far as the gay thread goes--it's mostly a conversation of like 5 people. A couple of old guys posting arcane rantings, one guy posting stuff that belongs in a blog, and a couple of others commenting back and forth. To anyone who hasn't read about half of the 66 pages, most of it is of little value and makes little sense.

20. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Can we have a forum for people who grow their own marijuana? I'm sure there are some people on here who are cultivars. Might even have a sub-subculture for the viticulturists who graft hops onto the the cannabis stem. And one for the people who can actually afford to cough up a couple hundred bucks for the furry seeds.

A subsubforum for the hydroponic vs. aeroponic vs. dirt debate, with some discussion on NFT vs. Ebb & Flow vs. Passive (ha, lamerz). And even a little subsubsubforum for the people who are really hardcore pescetarians like Steve Jobs and into the Aquaponics scene. Because even the hydroponic nuts think the aquaponic people are a bit daffy.

And with good reason, too. Personally, I want not just a subsubsubforum, but my own entire goddamned island whose agriculture is entirely based upon aquaponics. Steve Jobs would like it. He's a pescetarian.

Sorta like Mac News and Rumors... for the Private Marijuana Farmer.

It'd own.

21. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Exactly. Almost word for word.

22. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

The postings count

Blasskillet4,
    I for one would be indeed sorry to see the Any Gays thread being consigned to the wasteland. I've both PM'd and now emailed the OP asking if he'd be happy to rename the the thread to someting like "The GayWay".

On the postings stats, there have been 20 members who have posted 18 or more times to the thread:
    Leekohler (241) scemO (173) Chip NoVaMac (164) Guitarius (98) Grey Beard (80) neilmitchell (78) gekko513 (64) iGary (51) Zaid (36) mkrishnan (34) rainman (31) Daveway (28) jsalzer (28) PlaceofDis (27) skunk (26) vniow (23) MontyZ (22) devilot76 (21) iAlan (21) and ColoJohnBoy (18)

I suppose y'all just have to settle and see what transpires.

Grey Beard,
    aka Kevin

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I would not support it, just because of the controversy that it would cause between people. If it were a subsection of the Community Forum, I couldn't care less. But if people start to freak out, it may just be better to leave it be.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hope for your sake that one day somebody doesn't dismiss you as an 'old guy' or your thoughts as arcane. :rolleyes:

Really condescending and unnecessary feedback there.

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

One of the worst ideas in the history of bad ideas. By your logic of one popular thread, we should have a Keira sub-forum, a drunk sub-forum, hell, a poop sub-forum :eek:

The community is for all, there's absolutely no need to segregate people like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.