time for A new iBook HD...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kingcrowing, May 28, 2005.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

so i currently have a 466MHz iBook clamshell and a Dell inspiron, the ibook makes absoultely no noise, with one exception, it has an old hard drive, so you can constantly hear the "wizzz" of the HDD spinning aroung, my dells HD on the other hand is absoultely silent, but the fans are deafening... so i think it's time to upgrade from this 4200RPM 10GB 2MB Cache HD thats in my iBook to something quieter, faster, and with more storage space... this laptop has ATA-6, so that means it can use like 90% of new HDs, so im thinking about getting either a 5400RPM or 7200RPM, anyone have any reccomendations, pointers, or anything that i should stay away from? i'm looking for around 40GB, however if its only a little bit more for a 60GB or so it would bo ok, but after looking at laptop HD prices it seems pointless to get anything new thats smaller than 40GBs, thanks a lot

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

get a 60gb hitachi they are reliable, quiet and modestly priced, beware changing an ibook HD aint the easiest thing to do....

3. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

so i've heard... i've found a guide on pbfixit.com on how to change it, its very daunting, but it's a change i need to do, well im at it i think i'm going to get a 512MB stick of RAM for it