Time for a new Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by biblicalfury, Apr 4, 2007.

1. biblicalfury macrumors member

Mar 31, 2007
    I'm thinking that it may be time to start thinking about getting a new Mac and I'd appreciate some feedback.

I have a 12" 800 MHz G4 iBook with 640 MB RAM and a 40 GB hard drive (my first Mac). It's about three years and a month old. Everything is still working great, but I think it may be time for some more speed.

For many of the things that I do (email, web, Office, iTunes, etc), what I have now is fine. Having had the chance to use some of the new iMacs at my college, I don't notice much of a difference in speed for things like that. But videos are SLOW on the iBook. Video conversion, for instance, takes so long that I rarely even do it. Lately, I've downloaded some high def video clips that I wasn't able to really play.

I'm reluctant to upgrade because the computer is perfectly acceptible in many areas. As time passes, I'm sure I'll be using my computer for videos more and more, so I'll likely want to upgrade at some point. The ability to run Windows, getting USB 2.0 ports and things like that would be convient.

Is this a good time? It looks like I can still get decent return on the iBook on eBay and there are plenty of good deals on refurbished Macs.

2. tringo macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2006
    Wait for leopard. Then you'll have a perfect set-up for the new school year.
  3. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Mar 24, 2007
    Well it's not a bad time, but it would be even better if you could wait until the release of Leopard. If you don't need it right now, then I suggest waiting.
  4. hasah macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2007
    yeh definately wait till june, otherwise when you see all those new features on leopard when its released, you'll fell a bit short-changed with you "tiger". plus, hopefully apple will also update their macbooks by then. new OS (plus new software like iLife) and new hardware (potentially) - its only another 2months, im sure the you can survive with your perfectly adequate ibook in the mean time.
  5. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    I am rockin a 1.33GHz iBook G4 with 768MB of Ram... and its so slow.

How much faster are the new 2.0GHz C2D MacBooks? compared to my iBook?

Edit: Im not looking for "alot faster" Im looking for hard numbers
  6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006

Here are some benchmarks done by Apple on the C2d Macbook. I'm not saying Apples benchmarks cant be trusted, but they do tend to exaggerate just a little bit.

7. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

Mar 23, 2007
    This and this.