Time for a new set-up?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Coca-Cola, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Well, I have a 867 12" Powerbook. My wife has a 1.2 12" iBook. We are considering a 20-inch iMac. We would be replacing our two laptop computers with one desktop. My powerbook's battery has had it and my wife's iBook needs a larger harddrive. The downside is that we would only have one computer. Any thoughts?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Will the lack of portability be an issue?

Personally, I might just wait for the MacBooks, if I had to live with only one Mac. As much as I love my 17" iMac....

B

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

depends on whether you need the portability and whether you and your wife frequently use a computer at the same time. All depends on the specifics of your situation and use...

4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Personally, i would wait for the Macbook. If you can survive with one laptop, sell you wife's ibook before the macbook comes out because otherwise it will depreciate quite a lot. I would then buy at least one macbook but if you can afford it, get two!!

5. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

Portability isn't really an issue. Being on the computer at the same time is. She is very happy with her iBook. I think she will be happy with it for a long time. I guess we can just wait for another year or two. Maybe the second revision to the Macbook would be a good purchase. However, I would love to ditch my television and just have a big old iMac.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

going from each of you having your own computer to trying to "share" a single computer?????? I would say your marriage will last another 3 to 6 months if you try that:p :p :p

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Keep in mind that for 4:3 video a 20" iMac is only as big as a 16" TV, so it really ain't all that big, unless you're only watching widescreen DVDs, where it would be equivalent to a 22" TV (still not particularly big).

B

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

If you and your wife can manage to share the iMac, then I would say go and do so. But it sounds like it would be best if you and your wife both had your own Macs- don't want to see any fighting. ;) :)

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Man that would be tough to go down to just one Mac. I know that it just would not work with my gf and me as we tried this for a few weeks before my 20" Intel iMac got here and it created some hell between us.
    Maybe the refurb store would be the way to go to get two Macs at a good price as in a 17" Intel iMac and then wait for the Macbook to come out. One other thing is get a FW HDD for her and still replace yours until the time is right and you would then have some extra $$$ saved for another Mac.
    Good luck, glad I'm not in that situation anymore ;)

10. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

Not to mention that if/when you are using the iMac for a TV, noone can use it as a computer, so you are effectively down to Zero computers to work on if you sold that iBook too.

If you are interested in a TV, maybe look into as second monitor. The Samsung 215TW (21" no TV tuner, but all the inputs) and Samsung 910MP (19" w/ tuner & inputs) - I think that model #910MP is right

11. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Why does the iMac have to replace both laptops? Couldn't you keep the iBook too, to have on hand in case someone wants/needs to use the computer when the other is already on it?

I've just entered to 2 mac setup for the first time last week (iMac/PowerBook) and it is awesome. iMac upstairs in the office; PB down in the living room.