Time for an xbox?

Discussion in 'Games' started by AnewMac, Nov 15, 2004.

1. AnewMac macrumors regular

Sorry if this was posted already, but I need your opinions. Everytime I go to Best Buy I want to buy an xbox to play Halo 2, among other games. Would I be an idiot to buy an xbox now? Help me out! Is Halo 2 worth buying another gaming console on top of my PS2?

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I would say yes. I think it's worth it. I have an xbox and i am actually considering buying another one plus another copy of halo 2 so i can play over my lan at home. The game is great, i would definatly buy an xbox for this game.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Ahhh... Well, Halo 2 is a great game. Whether it's worth spending $200 bucks just to play is questionable. If you will buy other games (Counter-strike, Call of Duty, Fable) then the purchase will be well worth it. Xbox love takes the xbox experience to a whole new level, so I would suggest you buy the subscription.

edit: There is a keyboard and mouse adapter for the xbox here. It's awesome!

4. outerspaceapple macrumors regular

outerspaceapple

holy crap! that keyboard & mouse adapter has got to be THE best invention for a console in all time! I've never purchased consoles before simply because of the bulky controls when compared to my faster-than-light mouse & keyboard reflexes :cool: , but now that i can have all that WITH HALO 2!

i'm going to have to do some serious re-considering about buying an xbox.

Thanks for the 'nfo,
    ~~Eddy~~

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ive grown tired of my PS2 personally, im selling that and i plan on purchasing an xbox sometime in the near future, however, i dont plan on buying Halo 2 for a while, hopefully the price will go down a tad, or i could get it for xmas, who knows, but the xbox has turned out to have more of the games that i am interested in so ive decided to go ahead and get one

btw, is a refub xbox plus halo for $130 a good deal? or can i find better?

6. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I would NEVER get a refurb xbox. I've gone through two xbox's personally (on my third), and i wouldn't want you to end up with one of my defects. The entire consol is integrated...so what are they gonna fix?

Secondly, i'm gonna say that i've got an xbox and halo & halo2. It's worth it if you can't wait. BUT, I would recommend to anyone with patience to wait. I think that the xbox next will play xbox games because the VPC dudes are the xbox dudes.

Most importantly, the WHOLE ENTIRE POINT of the next generation of consoles can be summed up with two letters: HD. That's right, all the systems are moving to push high definition TV. There are only a few games for the xbox that allow for HD. Why? Cause while xbox has the balls, it's not hung like you'd think. That geforce2 won't push halo or halo2 in HD. Even the games that do support HD on the xbox, do so at the crappy resolution (albeit better than standard TV). That said, halo2 still looks awesome, but you can bet that one of the first games that comes out on the xbox next will be Halo HD.

who knows when the next gen consoles will arrive at $200 anyway... i'm guessin 2006. Mark my words though... the future of consoles is HD.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well i dont plan on getting an xbox next, at least not for some time, hence why i am thinking about an xbox now, i dont like to buy consoles when they are brand new, and HD is useless to me personally, i have no use for it what so ever so thats not a factor for me, and the refurb i was talking about is a previously used system from a place like gamestop, so it would come with their warranty if there were any problems with it

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

They can fix the hard drive and the DVD drive. Version 1 xbox's had a defective Thompson drive that, after a while, would quit reading properly. I had to send mine in, and I have a nice new Samsung drive. MS replaced it for free.

I'd say that a refurb xbox with halo for $130 is a great deal. That's $80 bucks for the xbox... can't beat that. If you can get a peak at the drive that's in it and make sure it's not a thompson, then I'd go for it. Check out the comparison here.

9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

XBox has a much better build quality than the PS2.

Very soon the xBox + Halo 2 offer should be out.

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I don't know about your Halo 2 box, but on the back of mine it has HDTV 480p...

11. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I just bought an XBOX last week and I love the thing. I never had a console before (i'm 35) because I thought they were pretty lame gaming experience. But since I got this I have been pleasantly surprised. I have the orignal Halo and its pretty good playing with the controller but I am thinking of one of those mouse/keyboard adapters for online play. I'm willing to bet that come Thanksgiving there will be XBOX bundled with Halo2 for about $199 or less. Its just too good a selling point for the holidays.

12. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

one.
    buy an xbox.
    two.
    buy halo 1. and halo 2.

it's a good time to buy. halo 1, makes it worth buying, so it halo 2.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

see gamestop sells em 'refurb' or rather used and for $130 it comes with halo 1, not a bad deal, i think that in a couple weeks that just might be what i get, unless a better deal with halo 2 comes up

edit: and yes i am trying to talk myself up to this purchase, that its really worthwhile and everything

14. efoto macrumors 68030

Just because I can...I would make a stretch to say that HL2 will be a better, no MUCH better game than Halo2, so instead of buying a console I would perhaps suggest buying a game box...like a little fragbox or something you can justify as a PC-Console instead of an actual PC :p
    Either way, I have only had 10min on HL2 and its amazing...hours on Halo2 and all I have to say is "dual-wield, what else is new?"

15. macidiot macrumors 6502a

well, I almost bought an xbox recently. I got the redesigned ps2 instead. After thinking about it, I decided that the ps2, with the gamecube I already had, gave me access to just about every console game on the market.

The only game exclusive to the xbox that is really killer, is Halo 2. And I just didn't think $200 for one game was worth it. Especially considering Halo 2 will probably be out for PC and Mac sometime down the road.

Other things, the xbox is ridiculously ugly and huge, it has virtually nothing that you can't get on another console, and of course, its from Microsoft. Like they need more money from me. :p

16. macidiot macrumors 6502a

480p isn't really HD. HD is 720p or 1080i. 480p is dvd quality and I think is referred to as EDTV, or enhanced definition.

Still, the xbox is capable of doing HD, there just aren't that many games that actually support it.

17. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

480p beats the hell out of pal interlaced everytime imo.

18. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

OK. I've got all three. Gamecube is my fave machine, but Xbox has the best mix of games and quality. I just bought a PS2 when the small ones came out. (I had one fo the original ones since launch, but sold it a while back.) To be honest, I've been hard pressed to find games for the PS2 that I couldn't already get on the others. (I'm not into GTA and those types, but Gran Tourismo will be cool.) Halo 2 is awesome. The Xbox is physically too big and it makes alot of noise.

Mixed review, I understand. All in all, get the Xbox.

19. 7on macrumors 601

7on

If you can afford XboX Live then get it, an XboX isn't worth it unless you have XboX Live or live with a bunch a people.

That being said, I like my Gamecube - which is totally ironic because of the lack of internet play.

20. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I'd love to get one of those new mini PS2s so I can get Katmari Damacy.

...but uh, I need a job first.

Someone hire me!

21. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I've had an Xbox (modded) for two years now, and really like the system. Halo 2 online is really great.

Half Life 2 is probably won't come to the Xbox, but to the Xbox 2 (next) next Christmas. Just so you guys know, it's getting near the end of the life of the Xbox... and the PS2 for that matter. Both systems really should be $99 like the cube.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the PSP, and hopefully the DS will price drop to $99 come May.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Heck, some people here have spent $700-$3000 on a PC or Mac to play Halo, so $200 sounds like a bargain!

I've been playing it at home and I can say its better than "meh" but not quite "Yeah!"

As for PS2 reliability, yeah it was bad but the new form factor may solve that; I just picked one up this past weekend to replace my THIRD replacement PS2, and I like it: Small, QUIET, different DVD-ROM(?), built in ethernet (finally). Go SOCOM 2! I really prefer PS2's game library to the xbox.