time for the Delay-haters/apologists to switch sides

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, May 3, 2005.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

We now learn that the Democratic Mayor of Detriot is not really any different from Delay...

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

corruption stinks, regardless of party affiliation. but how is this supposed to change my feelings about delay?

3. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I live less than half an hour from Detroit. No doubt, Kilpatrick is corrupt - I never cared for him. I still think Delay is piece of **** too! Corruption doesn't follow party lines - are there people who claim it does?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think Mayor Kwame has his goods and his bads...he is not exactly a model of ethics, and never seemed to be, but I think in some ways he does care about Detroiters and the image of the city. When I used to listen to him on Holla' at the Mayor, I think he often gave caring and good answers to peoples' questions...

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, fire 'em all. I'm not gonna defend a Dem on the take either. Oh wait, are you still gonna defend DeLay? :p

6. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

I really don't know how I feel about either one - both can arguably make a defense as to what they have done. Maybe I've been in law school too long - too many people defend X, only to attack Y for doing similar. :)

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm of the opinion that too much money finds it's way to pols who then vote favorably for those constituents while claiming the money didn't affect their vote. DeLay is just the biggest fish right now. It cost Jim Wright his job, yet now the GOP is playing ethics games with the same position. Fair's fair, right?

8. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I'm not saying the man is heartless, I'm sure he has some good intentions. Every person (even politicians) have good and bad attributes. However, if Kwame really cared about the image of Detroit he would not have abused his power and made a mockery of the city. Is it that hard to NOT be corrupt?

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

seems like it is, especially since $$ is needed to win office at just about any level.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The point of this thread escapes me. Nobody with a shred of integrity needs to switch sides.

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Delay-haters will (rightly) continue to do so.
    Delay-apologists... is there any???

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

True, true... It's also easy for suburbanites to criticize Detroit. ;) Although, I think, to be honest, that it *is* harder than it seems from the outside to prevent yourself from corruption when you're on the inside, especially in a city like Detroit where there have been longstanding governmental mismanagement issues. People are very strongly influenced by the social modeling of others.

13. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It seems obvious to me, IJ. Because the Mayor of Detroit is willing to spend thousands of much needed city funds on parties and extravagant meals, therefore Tom DeLay, the corrupt House Majority Leader from Texas, is a good guy. Irrefutable logic.
    :confused:

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

In order to satisfy the stereotype the original poster obviously thinks we should have filled:

Just leave the mayor of Detroit alone. This is just a witch hunt organised by the Republicans who are frustrated with his leadership and integrity.

15. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

There is no we/they implied. My point is that both sides of the aisle have a history of defending their own and attacking the other. Something that happens anywhere you go. It was intended in good humor. Too many people are getting their panties in a twist over my comments. I'm done with this thread.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

????

this thread was pretty darned mild.

btw, unless you indicate that something is meant in jest (e.g. by using a smiley), don't assume that what you write will be taken as such. there's enough nutters out there that any bizarre/extreme position will be held seriously by someone.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wrong is wrong. Both sides have their skeletons. This guy is just as bad, if not worse.

Doesn't change what DeLay did (does).

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In fairness to the thread-starter, I don't think that's what he meant precisely. But I think my point still stands -- rights and wrongs are not defined by political party memberships. Not all of us are such moral relativists.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I remember reading an article in the paper talking about how the attacks on Delay have caused the GOP to threaten a "mutually assured destruction" tactic, promising that if Delay goes down some long necks on the left will get chopped....

....wouldn't that be good for everybody? Corrupt politicians on both sides taking each other out? ;)

20. Steradian macrumors 6502

My friend I say let the heads roll... I hate it when politicians take advantage of our trust and money for their own personal benefit.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Bad for incumbents, but good for the people. Bring it on! Let the bloodletting begin.

22. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Apparently you have some idea... time for Delay haters/apologists to switch sides.

What if everyone stayed on the same side and thought all corruption was wrong, what would you have to do at that point?

But I'm confused by the use of haters/apologists in the same sentence, aren't they opposing factions?