Time for the ponies!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by kuyu, Apr 7, 2004.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I love spring. The trees are blooming, the birds are chirping, and world-class thoroughbreds start the race for the triple crown.

The spring meet at Keeneland (here in Lexington) started last friday. If you've never been to the races, I HIGHLY recommend it. Even if you don't gamble, the event is worth experiencing first hand. Additionally, I would recommend coming specifically to Keeneland. If you've never heard of it, it's the track where they filmed the last race in Seabiscuit. It's like walking into the 1920's. I'd say that Keeneland is probably the most beautiful place in Kentucky.

Anyone here a horse-race fan? Any picks for the Derby? Just curious if the races are a big deal anywhere else (San Diego?).

2. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Keeneland was my first job after I turned 18. I was a pari-mutel clerk. I loved it. Probably the best job I've ever had. The only problem is that there is about six weeks of work per year, then you have to go apply at another track 50-100 miles away. If they still have any positions left for human beings after I get my 25 years in at Toyota, I'd love to work the tracks again. Toyota has a family day there every spring, I think it is next Saturday this year. I always take the wife and kids. I love the environment, the beautiful women, and the burgoo. I take about ten bucks for each of us to bet with. Last year I brought home $360 on a trifecta! It's still not as good as working there, though. You get to use your tips for betting, so it is just free money that you are using. You get a free program, and you can learn which of your customers really know what they are doing. Then, you start betting the horses that they like. Oh, yea, for the women working there, the bigger your boobs, the bigger your tips! Men get good tips as well, sometimes. I had one drunk guy make a ten dollar bet and pay with a $100 bill. When I went to hand him his change, he waved it away, grunted, and left! Some people will really tip well if they win big. I have been given tips in excess of one hundred dollars on a several thousand dollar winner. Anyway, I loved working there. Handling all that cash, dressing nicely (dress pants, button down shirt and tie required), but still getting to be outside in the fresh air. I love it.

3. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)